• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Devialet Expert 200 Amplifier, DAC and Streamer Review

onlyforadv

I have a Devialet Expert 400 dual mono configuration.

The things I like about it:

1. The Roon integration, for me, worked right out of the box and I love the ability of Roon to turn the Expert on remotely. I can use Roon to implement convolutions on the Expert, which is a work-around for the still-forthcoming convolution features of the expert.

2. The software configurable inputs make it an amazing Swiss Army knife able to be adapted to almost any configuration.

3. The remote is pretty cool. Easy to use once you get the hang of it. The iPhone app isn't bad, either, but I prefer the remote.

4. SAM: Devialet implemented 3 different config files for the Dynaudio Contour 20 (port open, port half open, port closed)! I use it SAM at 50% 'on', using the "open port" config.

5. The phono stage is amazing. Sounds very very good, very quiet, amazing low level detailed, and can be configured on the fly.

6. The amplifier itself is just so solid and clean, with detail on par with the best I've ever heard, while still having grunt and a bit of Class A sweetness.

7. The ability to keep adding more units. If I ever want to go to tri-amp, I can. You can also use the dual mono Expert as a dual stereo setup with crossoverless speakers, like Atohm.

8. The ability of Devialet tech support to make custom config files. They're actually working on a reel-to-reel tape EQ set up for me now.

9. Looks sexy

Things I don't like:

1. Configuring via removable SD card instead of a built-in webserver is jackassery. Supposedly going to be improved with the new Core Infinity board.

2. Lack of XLR inputs, although the RCA jacks are actually balanced (supposedly).

3. No headphone jack, so you have to drive cans from the pre-outs. It works just fine, and actually sounds good, but it's goofy.

4. The dark chrome finish smudges like you wouldn't believe. I might have preferred just a nice stainless steel.

Overall, it's not perfect, but it does almost everything I want in 1 box and allowed me to get rid of a rack full of stuff. If they would just finish making the software to go with the new DSP engine to allow for native RAAT, web config, and convolution, I'd have everything I ever really wanted.

onlyforadv

a car’s actual consumption as 15L/100Km and the manufacturer’s spec is 8L/100Km.
What can happen? Do you expect output stage transistors to wear out if you throw a party every 2 weeks and crank it up so it woudn't be able to deliver more than 10W above of 5kHz after a few years? Come on..

If amp cannot withstand 10-15 years of usage then it's a shi*ty product, especially if it is a highly priced unit.

hey Toyota driver, bet you never drive a expensive European car right? You think your ****** money really worth a lot that things cannot broken once you spend few more dollars?

if you buy a Benz does it has to last longer than Toyota? Go back to primary school then!

if you don’t like don’t buy, stop all your rubbish, little Tiny D

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
if you buy a Benz does it has to last longer than Toyota? Go back to primary school then!
I have had both Mercs and Toyotas for the last 40 years.
They have been equally reliable.
The finish on the older Mercs was better but probably not on newer ones, though still good.
FWIW I have never owned a diesel car, though I have driven lots and can appreciate their strength, and all my cars had been V8 until I got my first Prius in 2005. I bought it because I loved the clever E-CVT, didn't expect to keep it long but am on my 3rd now and my V8 Merc is in the garage :)

Pluto

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
...the RCA jacks are actually balanced (supposedly)
What was the origin of that particular tall tale? While the shield may be isolated from true earth*, the RCA interface is not differential which is, fundamentally, the definition of ‘balanced’.

* if, for example, the two conductors feed the primary of a transformer

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
a car’s actual consumption as 15L/100Km and the manufacturer’s spec is 8L/100Km.

hey Toyota driver, bet you never drive a expensive European car right? You think your ****** money really worth a lot that things cannot broken once you spend few more dollars?

if you don’t like don’t buy, stop all your rubbish, little Tiny D
Thanks for the laughs, you've been hilarious though likely unintentionally.

It's time for us to say goodbye my friend.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What was the origin of that particular tall tale? While the shield may be isolated from true earth*, the RCA interface is not differential which is, fundamentally, the definition of ‘balanced’.

* if, for example, the two conductors feed the primary of a transformer
Although one could use the RCA as a differential socket with neither side connected to earth and both fully floating, but it still wouldn't be balanced as the impedances to ground would be different between the outer and the inner.

S.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Part of the reason for downsizing was sudden onset and permanent hearing problem and the D200 allowed me to hear fine detail in recordings I’d thought were lost to me and it made broadcast speech more intelligible. I’ve tried to replicate this with other noted DACs and amplifiers and get get the same performance.

Do you think your subjective impressions, uncofirmed by proper blind test, are of any value on a scientifically based forum?

"Hear fine details"..? :facepalm:
The only thing I find missing in your review is a stetement that the difference between Devialet and your previous amp was so large that even your wife could hear it from the kitchen.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Do you think your subjective impressions, uncofirmed by proper blind test, are of any value on a scientifically based forum?

"Hear fine details"..? :facepalm:
The only thing I find missing in your review is a stetement that the difference between Devialet and your previous amp was so large that even your wife could hear it from the kitchen.
It's a subjective testimony that dose not have any pretence to be anything other than that.

There's no need to be overly confrontational in these circumstances.

QMuse

Major Contributor
It's a subjective testimony that dose not have any pretence to be anything other than that.

There's no need to be overly confrontational in these circumstances.

I'm not trying to be "confrontational", I'm merely stating facts. Btw, allow me to remind you on your several posts where you told members stating their subjective impressions that they can expect (and accept) their impressions not to be accepted as valuable as this is scientifically based forum.

He should take no offense, but his story where he claims Devialet amp "allowed me to hear fine detail in recordings I’d thought were lost to me" reminds me of the faith healing.

QMuse

Major Contributor
My apologies, post removed.

No need to apologise, I don't think you offended anybody. And I'm accepting that you have an affection for your Devialet amp and that it helped improving your listening experience, I was merely stating that you offered only subjective arguments which are hard to be accepted by anybody else.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
There is no need to apologise if the amp has improved your experience that is a good thing.
Keith

Top Bottom