• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X8500H AVR Review

jbattman1016

Working just fine for me as well, but I'm only use HDMI inputs/output and three output channels for L/C/R

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
WOW, seems like one incredible receiver. Think it's best to use it as a processor and get a separate amp?
It is pretty beastly unit to not use the amps in my opinion... but you certainly can. If running 11 or 13 channels, I would probably get a 3 or 5 channel amp if you listen loudly or have inefficient speakers (or seated relatively far away from your main speakers).

It is pretty beastly unit to not use the amps in my opinion... but you certainly can. If running 11 or 13 channels, I would probably get a 3 or 5 channel amp if you listen loudly or have inefficient speakers (or seated relatively far away from your main speakers).

Yeah Dj, that's what I'm thinking about doing. I'd want at least the front 3 channels to have outside power. I think surrounds and atmos speakers should be fine with this.

Ardrazzt

WOW, seems like one incredible receiver. Think it's best to use it as a processor and get a separate amp?
My 5.2.4 system is this way. Custom Setup with active speakers for LCR and an external one for the rest. Runs cool. I even have Zone 2 connected to my home's background music system.

My 5.2.4 system is this way. Custom Setup with active speakers for LCR and an external one for the rest. Runs cool. I even have Zone 2 connected to my home's background music system.

Okay Ardrazzt, my next upgrade will probably be something like this. I'd like processors to review better, but maybe we'll have to wait a few more generations for that yet.

Ardrazzt

Okay Ardrazzt, my next upgrade will probably be something like this. I'd like processors to review better, but maybe we'll have to wait a few more generations for that yet.
My next step will be Digital only and all active speakers, if that ever happens for the 3000/4000€ processors... (Wishfull thinking...)

Macfox

Well I would hold off. It ain't all that good. Yeah so it can do x6 overhead surrounds with atmos mixes on most that is not all use the full six overhead so got be careful on what disc movies to buy.
It has a lag delay between switching video modes where I have seen snails going a lot faster. It has video dropouts on composite video signals that I find annoyingly distracting for a denon bragging high end AVR that seemed like it was built at Sesame Street, rather than buy professionals who know cinema? I would hold off as it really is only worth $800 but I think even $800 - £750 is still too much for a Lemon AVC-X8500H.
Troll much? Why haven't you returned it within the return window?

Macfox

Good news indeed. Too bad the upgrade is as expensive as a lower range receiver. Pricing the upgrade at €200-€300 would be more realistic in my opinion.
On the other hand, upgrades always seem to be disproportionately priced, probably to limit the impact on new receiver sales.

jbattman1016

I don't think the board upgrades are available to end customer's to install right? So likely would need to ship the receiver to a service center and wait...

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good news indeed. Too bad the upgrade is as expensive as a lower range receiver. Pricing the upgrade at €200-€300 would be more realistic in my opinion.
On the other hand, upgrades always seem to be disproportionately priced, probably to limit the impact on new receiver sales.
It is more than I was expecting too. But it does basically include 3 shipments.... shipment of box to you, shipment to them, and return shipment. It is quite heavy to ship and if you have shipped anything like this before, it isn't cheap (Probably $100+). But even so, it is a bit more than I was thinking it would be.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Troll much? Why haven't you returned it within the return window?
Excuse me, come again? I like to throw this denon in the cat litter box cos that is where denon marantz belongs today
For $4300 versus the $5600 A110 I wonder if anything has been upgraded other than the HDMI board
I got a new HDMI video board, that I fitted myself last feb as my cat Bear, took out the original HDMI I think it was, nov or dec last year? I like cats. I don't like people who don't.
HDMI 0.jpg

This was the HDMI video board, that my cat Bear, took out HDMI output 2. Cats are clever. I like cats. I don't like people who don't.
HDMI 1.jpg

This is the new HDMI video board. Took an hour to fit.
HDMI 2.jpg

Andysu

Major Contributor
guy denon looks catatonic sat in that seat. this is by far the worst denon avc-x8500h garbage trash avr ever made and i couldn't care less about the garbage trash 8k hdmi video board for this garbage trash avr anymore worst mistake buying this sound united garbage trash

Macfox

guy denon looks catatonic sat in that seat. this is by far the worst denon avc-x8500h garbage trash avr ever made and i couldn't care less about the garbage trash 8k hdmi video board for this garbage trash avr anymore worst mistake buying this sound united garbage trash

I'll relieve you of your disastrous purchase and pay you five hundred bucks in addition. Do we have a deal?

Andysu

Major Contributor
Top Bottom