• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X6700H Home Theater AVR Review

Ucftechguru

Forum Donor
For those of you waiting for the AVR-X3700H review, just received sign-off from Denon on the measurements. Still have to test one more thing, take pictures, write the review, etc. So I will likely post the review tomorrow.

Awesome! Can you tell us if it performs closer to the x3600, x4700 or x6700?

shellback

Audio Company
For those of you waiting for the AVR-X3700H review, just received sign-off from Denon on the measurements. Still have to test one more thing, take pictures, write the review, etc. So I will likely post the review tomorrow.
Nice! I fired mine up last night and ran a quick Audyssey calibration.

I didn't take time to do measurements with the X4200W prior to pulling it, loud kids!, but the 3700 sounds much better in terms of dynamics and the speakers have really come alive with the new unit, both use XT32. Not very science based, I know, and may be perception bias but I'm pleased so far. Ran it in the Eco-Auto mode at -20 for a few hours and no heat issues.

Castortroy3

Click bait!!! Quick turn around from Denon. I predict good results. I placing my wager on outperforming the 4700. Optimistic thinking! Me so excited.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you plan to add some dedicated AVR-scenario measurements? That is with all channels/zones enabled, DSP/roomcorrection enabled, network/airplay/bluetooth enabled, etc. Generally, all advertised features on.

It should be possible to use a movie-like input signal (7+ channels at 24/96 or more) and measure SINAD both at the Pre outputs and Amp outputs (as an all-in-one fullAVR SINAD number).

Last edited:

Iqs

Of the 8 hdmi inputs on the back I understand only 1 is 8k. But are the others capable of some 2.1 features such as 4k/120hz ALLM and VRR?

Thank you, can't find an answer anywhere

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Do you plan to add some dedicated AVR-scenario measurements? That is with all channels/zones enabled, DSP/roomcorrection enabled, network/airplay/bluetooth enabled, etc. Generally, all advertised features on.

It should be possible to use a movie-like input signal (7+ channels at 24/96 or more) and measure SINAD both at the Pre outputs and Amp outputs (as an all-in-one fullAVR SINAD number).
You have to be more specific than this. :) I did test streaming performance and effect of bass management which should be representative of all other processing on frequency response.

Room EQ testing in this context is very difficult so I can't go there.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Awesome! Can you tell us if it performs closer to the x3600, x4700 or x6700?
As I post in the review, it is almost the same as 3600H and above 4700H and 6700H.

Ucftechguru

Forum Donor
As I post in the review, it is almost the same as 3600H and above 4700H and 6700H.

Wow, I couldn’t sleep last night. I kept coming back to check. I saw your new review 9 minutes after you posted it. Very happy to see it perform well. I purchased one in advance of your review and am setting it up tonight. Can’t wait! I decided to keep the Marantz SR6014 for awhile so that’s been hooked up for the last week and I plan to compare the two subjectively with music and movies.

Based on your review, though, the x3700h looks like a keeper.

bobopich

You have to be more specific than this. :) I did test streaming performance and effect of bass management which should be representative of all other processing on frequency response.

Room EQ testing in this context is very difficult so I can't go there.
Probably a quick one point measurment so that you can switch Audyssey ON and check if there is degradation of SINAD in the pre-outs ?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You can't just turn Audyssey On. You have to go through the whole calibration process which would vary between my setup and anyone else's.

Depending on what Audyssey does at 1 kHz, it may mess up the SINAD in a way that is not representative.

bobopich

You can't just turn Audyssey On. You have to go through the whole calibration process which would vary between my setup and anyone else's.

Depending on what Audyssey does at 1 kHz, it may mess up the SINAD in a way that is not representative.

OK thanks Amirm, but just wondering as you already have a created curve in the app editor is it possible to load it as it is with curtains up to 400-500Hz so not affecting the 1kHz. I am just curious what is the outcome when audyssey is ON :)
And thanks again for all the work you are doing.

Daniel1974

Hello!

It was just written, that the pre-outs from the Denon 6700 are little disappointing. I want to upgrade from a Denon 4520 but I have a Hegel H190 (pre-outed) as a stereo-amp too, which is of course integrated in my surround chain...
So, I need an AVR with a good performance on the pre-outs, so that my pre-outed front-speakers will shine. Do you have any hints/help concerning that?
Thank you very much in advance.

BsdKurt

Forum Donor
Hello!

It was just written, that the pre-outs from the Denon 6700 are little disappointing. I want to upgrade from a Denon 4520 but I have a Hegel H190 (pre-outed) as a stereo-amp too, which is of course integrated in my surround chain...
So, I need an AVR with a good performance on the pre-outs, so that my pre-outed front-speakers will shine. Do you have any hints/help concerning that?
Thank you very much in advance.
Your current best options for good front pre-outs up to 2v are the 2019 x3600, the 2020 x3700, then x4700. If you want an x6700 and have time, wait for the updated review when Denon sends Amir a non-covid capacitor unit to be tested and it might make the list too.

Archaea

Of the 8 hdmi inputs on the back I understand only 1 is 8k. But are the others capable of some 2.1 features such as 4k/120hz ALLM and VRR?

Thank you, can't find an answer anywhere
This topic is covered extensively on YouTube with videos from Sound United. Also discussed in depth on avsforum. Yes. all other HDMI ports are capable of the HDMI 2.1 functions outside of the 4K/120Hz or 8K/60HZ which is only available on single 8k in and dual 8K out.

ricochetmz

@amirm Does the capacitor issue only affect pre-amp output? Or any time the DAC is used? I just purchased a 6700 to use primarily for Atmos and movie playback from HDMI sources. I don’t use the pre-out, but if this issue impacts all digital > analog conversion I’m concerned it would impact my primary use case :-/ Thanks for the thorough analysis!

bigguyca

This topic is covered extensively on YouTube with videos from Sound United. Also discussed in depth on avsforum. Yes. all other HDMI ports are capable of the HDMI 2.1 functions outside of the 4K/120Hz or 8K/60HZ which is only available on single 8k in and dual 8K out.

It's good to learn that the all the HDMI ports support VESA DSC 1.2a. That's great to hear. It hasn't been mentioned anywhere. Thanks for the update. With compression the negative effects of slightly lower raw speeds are potentially greatly reduced.

bigguyca

@amirm Does the capacitor issue only affect pre-amp output? Or any time the DAC is used? I just purchased a 6700 to use primarily for Atmos and movie playback from HDMI sources. I don’t use the pre-out, but if this issue impacts all digital > analog conversion I’m concerned it would impact my primary use case :-/ Thanks for the thorough analysis!

It would be really nice to know which functions of the X6700H are affected by the defective capacitor and the type of capacitor. Are we talking about one specific instance of a capacitor in the X6700H that is used in one location, or a specific model of capacitor that is used in multiple locations such as every channel?

KC-Narnia

I just picked up the 8500 last night. Wow! I love it. I think it's so much better so far and also like you say doesn't seem to run hot at all . There seems to be much more room inside maybe because of the bigger chassis it's not blocked with a bunch of boards on top it's open. It looks to have 4 fans in there also. I did hear the fans of my 6700 run I think if they didn't the thing would have melted !!

I also recently bought the AVC-8500H (after returning my AVR-X6700H) and are madly in love with it. It's just so much better in all areas and is nowhere near getting as hot as the 6700.

Top Bottom