• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X6700H AVR Review (Updated)

Vasr

Major Contributor
What Hi-Fi? just posted their review today. Apparently the X6700H is bass heavy

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/denon-avc-x6700h

:facepalm:

I think they did the "listening" after setting up Audyssey as part of the initial set up from the way it is written. IF that is the case, then the evaluation could be highly variable. Audyssey is sensitive to mic positioning during measurements and the auto eq could provide a tonal balance that is noticeable. Or there was far more room gain in that particular set up than what Audyssey could correct.

That site writes whatever pops up into their heads based on pre-formed biases and misconceptions so they were never reliable to start with. But there could be real reasons for them to have noticed "heavy bass" for which they would have no clue why.

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Obiden

I heard the street price for X6700 in Seattle & Portland is $1500 and some instances it's cheaper, just wondering if it comes with manufacture's warranty?.

Vasr

Major Contributor
I heard the street price for X6700 in Seattle & Portland is $1500 and some instances it's cheaper, just wondering if it comes with manufacture's warranty?.

If you have to pick it up in an empty parking lot from a van for cash only, most likely not.

bigLP

Forum Donor
If you have to pick it up in an empty parking lot from a van for cash only, most likely not.
Only get speakers from large white vans in parking lots........ Does anyone think whathifi? Saw AmirM give updated version the nod and just threw 5 stars at it and wrote some blahs blahs blah.......also stereophile is quoting Toole now.....ASR is an influencer!

Obiden

Only get speakers from large white vans in parking lots........ Does anyone think whathifi? Saw AmirM give updated version the nod and just threw 5 stars at it and wrote some blahs blahs blah.......also stereophile is quoting Toole now.....ASR is an influencer!
I bought a few Wilson Watts from the van :D:p

tonydeluce

Forum Donor
I thought I was all set on the Denon AVR-X6700H after Amir's updated review but it looks like Marantz SR8015 improved a great deal measurement wise over the SR8012 so will likely hold off until Amir gets a chance to review the SR8805 and ranks it along side the Denon 6700 and other AVRs...

Last edited:

Bello

Interesting SR8015 results /review.

Op-amp, has better AVR SINAD then the 8500H /6700H? Test difference in Gene's results @ 1W - 8 ohms vs 5W - 4 ohms (Amirm test)

Can someone elaborate on these settings, test's (Amirm)? Setup / make a difference? Do you get more distortion? @ 5w 4 ohms vs 1w 8 ohms? Not sure... are test's equivalent?

I believe I have a little better understand as to how things work in Denon's audio amp or don't work. We could all see based on the Amirm's system (worst to best) charting. While power wattage of a higher quality amp went up, AVR SINAD went way down. As Gene explained concerning SR8012, what happens during amp operation (Pre-amp or Op-amp) we now understand the power supplies, noise, and feedback deficiency's. And why Denon implemented pre-amp MODE to alleviate this power amp feedback phenomenon.

As I understood this issue, and as I compared this case to the 6700H in Pre-amp MODE. You can further reduce THD while using ECO mode in "AUTO." As Gene mentioned, while running in Pre-amp Mode which does not affect output (rail power) of the pre-amp stage to external amp.

That said, question @ Amirm - Did you run the re-test AVR system FFT test while in ECO AUTO? I wondering if both 8500H / 6700H would have preformed even better AVP / SINAD 103/100? We know the issue is in the Op-amp, and Eco won't make a difference during regular internal amp use.. I'm just wondering if AVP /SINAD is even better if ECO is AUTO?

And as Gene explained the phenomenon (power feedback? AVR SINAD / FFT @ 1K) from the bad FFT issue of SR8012 vs corrected / better FFT SR8015. Which he pointed out to Denon during his initial test of the SR8012.

From the FFT (SR8012) w/ bad AVR SINAD issue is what the 6700H is experiencing? Hence, a better outcome on the 8500H (Physically shut down internal power amps) in Pre-amp MODE vs always in Full power on the 6700H.

Bottom line, I'm not sure I would cough up an additional $700 (6700H) $2500 vs (SR8105) $3200. Nearing the 8500H $ territory.

Earlier post, I'm fully pre-amp'd with clean output power of Emotiva GEN-3 (275W X 7 channels)

Later adding internal amps, additional Atoms only.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting SR8015 results /review.

Op-amp, has better AVR SINAD then the 8500H /6700H?

Did you mean the SR8015 has better SINAD than the 8500 and 6700? If so, where did you see the comparison. I watched the video and I didn't see evidence of that.

Test difference in Gene's results @ 1W - 8 ohms vs 5W - 4 ohms (Amirm test)

Can someone elaborate on these settings, test's (Amirm)? Setup / make a difference? Do you get more distortion? @ 5w 4 ohms vs 1w 8 ohms? Not sure... are test's equivalent?

Not equivalent because of the different test conditions. You can however, use the number for 1 W, 8 Ohm from Amir's graph below:
At 1 W, it looks like the 6700 did about -82 to -83 dB THD+N, -82.5 dB is -0.0075%, if Gene's in %, then that's the number to use for comparison.
The graph is from the original test on the unit that has the Covid cap, not sure if the Covid free one would do better because on that unit Amir only included the same test for 4 Ohm. My guess is that it did not make much difference.

1598806140416.png

As Gene mentioned, while running in Pre-amp Mode which does not affect output (rail power) of the pre-amp stage to external amp.

As far as I can tell, Gene is right but only if the volume setting is higher than the "trigger point". For my AVR-X4400H, it is about -29 and apparently same for the X4500H, likely same for the X6700H too. If you had the volume at lower than that, say -39, then Eco auto would be same as Eco "ON" and you will be subject to the rail voltage reduction. In other words, "auto" is not really auto as some people may think in that when in auto the rail voltage does not switch based on demand, but on the volume position only. It actually makes sense because if it changes rail voltage on demand then it would be like Class H (exampe: Outlaw monoblock) or Class G (like some Arcam iirc..) and would have highlighted such feature.

For people like me who rarely have volume positioned below -29, may as well set Eco to off and put a fan or two on top because Eco auto would not make any difference anyway. Now I can be wrong if the 2020 models Eco works differently, but I highly doubt that. As owner of the 6700 you can find out easily, by moving the volume position between say, -40 and -20 listen for the relay click, or by visual of the onscreen display bar. You have to be patient though, because there is quite a delay between switching.

From the FFT (SR8012) w/ bad AVR SINAD issue is what the 6700H is experiencing?

No, the X6700H's SINAD, it's 99.6/99.4 dB (Ch1/Ch2), that's only 2-3 dB lower than the X8500H's, and much better than the SR8012 (based on Gene's measurements).

Keenan

Forum Donor
I like your question. I assume you knew that they would not know how to answer your question. You'll have them all confused. lol
I think my latest response will probably result in my being banned from that site.:)

Bello

Did you mean the SR8015 has better SINAD than the 8500 and 6700? If so, where did you see the comparison. I watched the video and I didn't see evidence of that.

Not equivalent because of the different test conditions. You can however, use the number for 1 W, 8 Ohm from Amir's graph below:
At 1 W, it looks like the 6700 did about -82 to -83 dB THD+N, -82.5 dB is -0.0075%, if Gene's in %, then that's the number to use for comparison.
The graph is from the original test on the unit that has the Covid cap, not sure if the Covid free one would do better because on that unit Amir only included the same test for 4 Ohm. My guess is that it did not make much difference.

View attachment 80621

As far as I can tell, Gene is right but only if the volume setting is higher than the "trigger point". For my AVR-X4400H, it is about -29 and apparently same for the X4500H, likely same for the X6700H too. If you had the volume at lower than that, say -39, then Eco auto would be same as Eco "ON" and you will be subject to the rail voltage reduction. In other words, "auto" is not really auto as some people may think in that when in auto the rail voltage does not switch based on demand, but on the volume position only. It actually makes sense because if it changes rail voltage on demand then it would be like Class H (exampe: Outlaw monoblock) or Class G (like some Arcam iirc..) and would have highlighted such feature.

For people like me who rarely have volume positioned below -29, may as well set Eco to off and put a fan or two on top because Eco auto would not make any difference anyway. Now I can be wrong if the 2020 models Eco works differently, but I highly doubt that. As owner of the 6700 you can find out easily, by moving the volume position between say, -40 and -20 listen for the relay click, or by visual of the onscreen display bar. You have to be patient though, because there is quite a delay between switching.

No, the X6700H's SINAD, it's 99.6/99.4 dB (Ch1/Ch2), that's only 2-3 dB lower than the X8500H's, and much better than the SR8012 (based on Gene's measurements).

I was referring to Gene's internal amp test, FFT graph. As he mentions, a great SINAD improvement from SR8012 to new SR8015. I'm wondering if the SR8012 issue correlates w/ lower SINAD measurement, AVR post/amp of the 8500H/6700H? Where the lower end models performed better AVR FFT test.

As far as ECO Mode, Auto. I will test to see if I see a difference in heat. I'm running full pre-amp Mode. W/ Eco completely off. The unit is only warm in the amp area during 7 channel / 2 channel play.

I'll see w/ Eco auto, if that makes a difference in heat (lower amp, Bias idle power) running full Pre-amp MODE. Gene made mention of exactly this scenario which would make sense. Further reducing, internal mono block amp, limiting feedback noise back to main supply. Once again, Denon's attempt to clean-up pre-amp signal (cross-talk) inter-modulation? Hence, creation of Pre-Amp Mode / Eco Mode ON / OFF / Auto

As far as Gene's AVR FFT measurements vs Amirm. I'm at loss, different setups different readings, donno. I need apples to apples to be 100%

As designed, great output pre-amp wise for the 8500H/6700H, totally satisfied. But post amp FFT is lacking SINAD perf then all other lower end models. I believe that is what Gene was illustrating w / SR8012 vs newly designed SR8015 as acceptable (AVR) FFT SINAD.

SR8015 better post amp (AVR) SINAD. Component grade level? implementation but at an added cost.

Denon decides to either implement better SINAD / higher grade components in the pre-amp area (8500/6700) or post amp area (3700H/4700H) as seen in Amirm's SINAD charts, pudding proof.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was referring to Gene's internal amp test, FFT graph. As he mentions, a great SINAD improvement from SR8012 to new SR8015. I'm wondering if the SR8012 issue correlates w/ lower SINAD measurement, AVR post/amp of the 8500H/6700H? Where the lower end models performed better AVR FFT test.

Yes, FFT always correlates with SINAD as SINAD is ratio of signal to harmonic distortions+noise in dB whereas the FFT shows you the individual harmonics also in dB in Gene's graphs. So if you see a lot of harmonics on the FFT with magnitudes above say, 120 dB, with the major ones such as 2nd, 3rd,...7th etc., up to -80 dB or so, then SINAD is not likely going to be much better than 80 to 90 dB.

I tried to compare the SR8015 (Gene') to the AV8805 (Amir's) and they seem comparable but the SR8015's does look cleaner overall, to my eyes anyway. So I would guess had Gene measured its SINAD, or THD+N, the SR8015 would probably be 94 to 99 dB. If I remember right, Marantz video did show the SINAD for the 8015 and it was about 99 dB, again only iirc. The interesting part that Gene's video shows, is that SINAD did not suffer even not in preamp mode, and Gene seemed to attribute such improvement to the newer version HDAM being used in the SR8015. If that is true, then for those who intend to use some of the internal amps, the SR8015 would perform better than the X6700H, on paper anyway.

As far as ECO Mode, Auto. I will test to see if I see a difference in heat. I'm running full pre-amp Mode. W/ Eco completely off. The unit is only warm in the amp area during 7 channel / 2 channel play.

Please let me know your finding. Again, expect a delay between switching. For example, after if you start Eco to "Audo", start from volume -50, double check to make sure Eco is in fact on at vol -50 as indicated by the onscreen energy display bar. Then turn volume up slowly, It should "click", indicating Eco has switched to "On", when you increase volume to around -29 (that's mine, yours may be different, so go slowly), if you then slowly turned it down to below -29, say all the way to -35, it may not click again, indicated Eco back "On", for a few seconds or longer, even a minute sometime, it seems to depend.. and vice versa when you turned the volume back up to -29, 28...

I'll see w/ Eco auto, if that makes a difference in heat (lower amp, Bias idle power) running full Pre-amp MODE. Gene made mention of exactly this scenario which would make sense. Further reducing, internal mono block amp, limiting feedback noise back to main supply. Once again, Denon's attempt to clean-up pre-amp signal (cross-talk) inter-modulation? Hence, creation of Pre-Amp Mode / Eco Mode ON / OFF / Auto

That sounds confusing to me, I would say if you run pre-amp mode, just set Eco to "On" because it won't affect the pre-amp as the power amps will be disconnected anyway.

As far as Gene's AVR FFT measurements vs Amirm. I'm at loss, different setups different readings, donno. I need apples to apples to be 100%

I don't see an issue, they both use the AP, just different models, but both should be accurate enough, say within a couple dB to each other. Both measured with volume at 82.5 also iirc.. As Amir mentioned, Denon used the same measuring protocol, I am quite Gene too.

As designed, great output pre-amp wise for the 8500H/6700H, totally satisfied. But post amp FFT is lacking SINAD perf then all other lower end models. I believe that is what Gene was illustrating w / SR8012 vs newly designed SR8015 as acceptable (AVR) FFT SINAD.

SR8015 better post amp (AVR) SINAD. Component grade level? implementation but at an added cost.

You are seeing things differently for some reason. I just watched the video again just to be sure. At about 13:30, you can see that the SR8015, at around maximum output, THD+N (= - SINAD) appeared to be about the same as the X6700H, please double check and let me know where on the video you see better SINAD measured from the AVR speaker output. (That is, power amp output).

From what I can see, the SR8015 measured much better than the SR8012, and is comparable to the Denon AVR-X6700H. Not exactly apple to apple but should be close as similar instruments and methodologies were used, just different operators (but both are electrical engineers) . To see an exact direct comparison, someone would have to send one to Amir.:D For me, I do trust Gene's and Amir's so for now I consider the SR8015 a good alternative to the X8500H and X6700H, but I don't like its price and I prefer no HDAMs, even if they now have an improved version, even if just borrowed from their integrated amps. To me, that extra discrete buffer stage in the end of the preamp signal chain adds complexity yet I did not see improvements, based on the two videos, Marantz and Gene's. Having said that, if Gene was right, perhaps there is one advantage, that is, if ones want to use the internal amps to power the surround and height/Atmos channels but even then, there would be no audible benefits unless one pushes the pre-out levels for those channels to >1.4/1.5 V.

Last edited:

bigguyca

Thoughts and issues: Audioholics Marantz SR8015 Measurement Video

There are a number of issues with the Audioholics video on the SR8015. Here are some of them:

1) Based on the audio and labeling of the graphs, it appears that Gene is often only measuring THD, not THD+Noise. THD-only will give lower (better) numbers and can't be compared with the THD+N that Amir measures.

2) The bandwidth used for the THD measurements is not clear. A lower bandwidth means that less of the harmonics are included in the results and the numbers look better.

3) The square wave response is representative of the use of a non-standard reconstruction filter in the DAC process. Gene repeats Marantz's frankly nonsensical reply concerning their filter selection. It sounds like a marketing reply.

Gene should know, and point out that the DAC IC would allow a selection of filters with a little effort on Marantz's part. This would allow Marantz to include the unacceptable filter and allow others to use a standard filter. Perhaps he just doesn't understand the concepts and technology involved here, which really isn't good for a site that claims technical knowledge.

The square wave also has a slightly sloped top. This typically means that there is low frequency roll-off. The Frequency Response graph shows a low frequency roll-off, after a slight amount of peaking, which really shouldn't be there. Minus is OK if undesirable, plus should be zero. One thought on this: consumer AVR's have numerous electrolytic capacitors in the signal chain to block DC. This isn't a problem if the resultant high-pass filter cutoff frequency is at say 1Hz or less, this is, if the capacitor has a high enough value. There will be no lost bass and phase issues, and essentially no significant voltage drop across the capacitor. Voltage drop across an electrolytic capacitor in the signal chain causes distortion. This isn't to claim that this problem exists, it is just something to keep in mind.

4) Note at the top of the Power Measurements section that, "We tested power using three methods all of which were taken at <.1% THD+N." In the actual measurement the Continuous Full Power Bandwidth measurements are only given at <1%. This lack of attention to detail brings much of what is presented into question. Lab work requires knowledge and attention to detail. The tester has to get it correct or there is a loss of credibility, as in, if this is simple item to get correct is wrong, what else that can't be checked is wrong?

Gene also says that the SR8015 is rated at 140W per channel and he got 159W per channel. Per Marantz, the140W rating is at .05%. Gene measured at 1% according to the text. The difference in distortion is 26dB. These two levels of distortion aren't even close. Does anyone review any of these written results? Again, credibility takes a hit here. It is easy to note the .05% and 1% are very far from equal.

5) 1kHz Power Test. The Marantz 5-channel power guarantee can be found on this webpage:

https://www.us.marantz.com/en-US/support/glossary

To quote from the page above, "A standard THD value is 0.08%"

Gene tested at 1% and .1% and tested 7-channels. 7-channels may be interesting, but why not test the actual 70% guarantee for 5-channels at .08%. Again, what gives here? Does anyone check any of this? How is the equipment configured for the actual test? These errors in simple to understand numbers raise serious questions.

6) Use of ECO auto adds another variable to the tests above and is really bad experimental practice. A test is run with odd results Instead of redoing the test with ECO off to determine in the really odd results are due to the ECO mode, Gene just guesses at the issue. Didn't Gene immediately look at the results? Why not rerun the measurements? The Audioholics review has few measurements compared to an ASR review. Is Gene so busy that he can't rerun a simple measurement?

7) Frequency Response: If the preamp frequency response graph was developed using a broadband analog signal input then a -3dB point at 63KHz is too low. The comment about excessive noise ingress is odd. Lots of equipment has preamps with wider bandwidths without excess noise. The comment sounds more like a marketing comment (excuse).

8) Power Test ECO On vs ECO Auto: Are these power sweeps?

If the ECO mode actually goes on and off with signal level and not the setting of the volume control then that is a poor design. ECO mode at least in past D/M units was implemented with a mechanical relay and was dependent on the setting of the volume control. If the volume control was set at a high enough level higher rail voltages were used. Changing to a low enough volume control setting and lower rail voltages were used. At a constant volume control setting there were was no switching between higher and lower voltage rails.

An amplifier that uses let's call it Class G mode, switches, using high speed silicon switches, between two DC power rail voltage levels after the rectifier and filter (storage) capacitors. ECO mode is implemented with a relay that switches AC voltages between two different transformer windings, before the rectifier and filter capacitors, very slowly in electronic terms, and won't handle the duty cycle. Even with fast electronic switches Class G puts glitches in the output.

It really isn't clear what Gene is testing here. Perhaps the ECO mode has changed.

9) Comparisons with ASR measurements:

The Preamp Out THD vs Frequency chart gives a very rough indication of performance since the chart is hard to read. The THD for the worst channel is about .0014% which is -97dB. ASR measures THD plus noise so the equivalent measurement would likely be worse. The bandwidth for the measurement is also not given so this is another variable. All of the issues with the quality of the measurements based on the issues noted above add to the mix.

Ignoring all that, which may be ill-advised, -97dB is inline with the worst measured Denon AVR's, but is still very good. For >$3k perhaps not so much.

What's next?

If and when measured in the future, the ASR measurements will more detailed and conducted in line with past measurements. These measurements will give higher quality view of the actual performance of the SR8015.

MetalheadRich

Hardly inspires confidence in a company that ships out a production run with shiiittyy capacitors

like we have to be a beta tester for denon? Couldn’t they divert money from sound United shareholders to pay someone to test their products ?

i will steer clear from this company

****** is relative. The absolute magnitude of the change in caps is very small.

Bello

Excellent write-up! 101 elector engineering, Thank you!

Concerning my 6700H, I'd like to better understand how it will fair with ECO ON when full Pre-AMP MODE is in use. Will the AVP FFT's THD +Noise improve? If when the AVR in pre-amp mode (amps at full power) are minimized w/ ECO MODE ON. As Gene indicated, seems as if Pure Direct has no benefit / difference, fluff marketing? for audiophiles. Shutting down op-panel low volt signal? Makes more sense to try to minimize AVR amp bias / Rail voltage. Eliminate bleed back to the power supply for a cleaner pre-amp signal output.

This is what I'm looking for, at the 6700h price point and I'm pretty much satisfied. Cleanest AVP FFT pre-amp output

@amirm - question during your second 6700H test Amp Off ( FFT THD+Noise ) - Pre-amp MODE output. Did you have ECO mode ON? Limiting AVR amp feed back bleed to the power supply. If ECO was left OFF. Is it possible AVP FFT would have performed better if ECO was ON? As Gene indicated for the SR8012 - SR2015. D/M seem to all have similar audio circuits / power supplies.

Thanks!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thoughts and issues: Audioholics Marantz SR8015 Measurement Video

There are a number of issues with the Audioholics video on the SR8015. Here are some of them:

1) Based on the audio and labeling of the graphs, it appears that Gene is often only measuring THD, not THD+Noise. THD-only will give lower (better) numbers and can't be compared with the THD+N that Amir measures.

2) The bandwidth used for the THD measurements is not clear. A lower bandwidth means that less of the harmonics are included in the results and the numbers look better.

3) The square wave response is representative of the use of a non-standard reconstruction filter in the DAC process. Gene repeats Marantz's frankly nonsensical reply concerning their filter selection. It sounds like a marketing reply.

Gene should know, and point out that the DAC IC would allow a selection of filters with a little effort on Marantz's part. This would allow Marantz to include the unacceptable filter and allow others to use a standard filter. Perhaps he just doesn't understand the concepts and technology involved here, which really isn't good for a site that claims technical knowledge.

The square wave also has a slightly sloped top. This typically means that there is low frequency roll-off. The Frequency Response graph shows a low frequency roll-off, after a slight amount of peaking, which really shouldn't be there. Minus is OK if undesirable, plus should be zero. One thought on this: consumer AVR's have numerous electrolytic capacitors in the signal chain to block DC. This isn't a problem if the resultant high-pass filter cutoff frequency is at say 1Hz or less, this is, if the capacitor has a high enough value. There will be no lost bass and phase issues, and essentially no significant voltage drop across the capacitor. Voltage drop across an electrolytic capacitor in the signal chain causes distortion. This isn't to claim that this problem exists, it is just something to keep in mind.

4) Note at the top of the Power Measurements section that, "We tested power using three methods all of which were taken at <.1% THD+N." In the actual measurement the Continuous Full Power Bandwidth measurements are only given at <1%. This lack of attention to detail brings much of what is presented into question. Lab work requires knowledge and attention to detail. The tester has to get it correct or there is a loss of credibility, as in, if this is simple item to get correct is wrong, what else that can't be checked is wrong?

Gene also says that the SR8015 is rated at 140W per channel and he got 159W per channel. Per Marantz, the140W rating is at .05%. Gene measured at 1% according to the text. The difference in distortion is 26dB. These two levels of distortion aren't even close. Does anyone review any of these written results? Again, credibility takes a hit here. It is easy to note the .05% and 1% are very far from equal.

5) 1kHz Power Test. The Marantz 5-channel power guarantee can be found on this webpage:

https://www.us.marantz.com/en-US/support/glossary

To quote from the page above, "A standard THD value is 0.08%"

Gene tested at 1% and .1% and tested 7-channels. 7-channels may be interesting, but why not test the actual 70% guarantee for 5-channels at .08%. Again, what gives here? Does anyone check any of this? How is the equipment configured for the actual test? These errors in simple to understand numbers raise serious questions.

6) Use of ECO auto adds another variable to the tests above and is really bad experimental practice. A test is run with odd results Instead of redoing the test with ECO off to determine in the really odd results are due to the ECO mode, Gene just guesses at the issue. Didn't Gene immediately look at the results? Why not rerun the measurements? The Audioholics review has few measurements compared to an ASR review. Is Gene so busy that he can't rerun a simple measurement?

7) Frequency Response: If the preamp frequency response graph was developed using a broadband analog signal input then a -3dB point at 63KHz is too low. The comment about excessive noise ingress is odd. Lots of equipment has preamps with wider bandwidths without excess noise. The comment sounds more like a marketing comment (excuse).

8) Power Test ECO On vs ECO Auto: Are these power sweeps?

If the ECO mode actually goes on and off with signal level and not the setting of the volume control then that is a poor design. ECO mode at least in past D/M units was implemented with a mechanical relay and was dependent on the setting of the volume control. If the volume control was set at a high enough level higher rail voltages were used. Changing to a low enough volume control setting and lower rail voltages were used. At a constant volume control setting there were was no switching between higher and lower voltage rails.

An amplifier that uses let's call it Class G mode, switches, using high speed silicon switches, between two DC power rail voltage levels after the rectifier and filter (storage) capacitors. ECO mode is implemented with a relay that switches AC voltages between two different transformer windings, before the rectifier and filter capacitors, very slowly in electronic terms, and won't handle the duty cycle. Even with fast electronic switches Class G puts glitches in the output.

It really isn't clear what Gene is testing here. Perhaps the ECO mode has changed.

9) Comparisons with ASR measurements:

The Preamp Out THD vs Frequency chart gives a very rough indication of performance since the chart is hard to read. The THD for the worst channel is about .0014% which is -97dB. ASR measures THD plus noise so the equivalent measurement would likely be worse. The bandwidth for the measurement is also not given so this is another variable. All of the issues with the quality of the measurements based on the issues noted above add to the mix.

Ignoring all that, which may be ill-advised, -97dB is inline with the worst measured Denon AVR's, but is still very good. For >$3k perhaps not so much.

What's next?

If and when measured in the future, the ASR measurements will more detailed and conducted in line with past measurements. These measurements will give higher quality view of the actual performance of the SR8015.

The only part I wouldn't be so sure is whether he did measure THD+N. Quite likely he did as he often talked about the need in the past, so perhaps he just said THD, forgot to add +N, like one of points you made about "attention to details".

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent write-up! 101 elector engineering, Thank you!

Concerning my 6700H, I'd like to better understand how it will fair with ECO ON when full Pre-AMP MODE is in use. Will the AVP FFT's THD +Noise improve?

Again, no!! When "full" pre-amp mode is in use, the power amps are disconnected so ECO ON will have no effects on the pre-amp. D+M made that point clear in their response to questions before. If you search hard you should be able to find it. So one more time, ECO does not affect the pre-amp, it does, however if the power amps clipped, so if you engage pre-amp mode to disconnect the power amps then you are home free.

As Gene indicated, seems as if Pure Direct has no benefit / difference, fluff marketing? for audiophiles. Shutting down op-panel low volt signal? Makes more sense to try to minimize AVR amp bias / Rail voltage. Eliminate bleed back to the power supply for a cleaner pre-amp signal output.

Something Gene may not know, but some of us here always know that using analog input (such as the CD input that Amir always used) direct mode bypasses the ADC/DSP/DAC route so SINAD has to be better than that in Stereo mode. However, we (or I anyway) didn't understand why Amir kept finding Stereo and Direct mode would make no difference, as Gene found out as well when measurement the SR8015. So recently I asked Amir to try measuring in stereo mode with speaker set to "large" vs "small with XO", sub on/off etc., just to find out when in stereo mode may be the speaker large/small setting, dsp such as Audyssey and/or the use of bass management has something to do bypassing the ADC route or not. Sure enough he confirmed what I guessed, sort of.. (in his review of the AVR-X3700H with the following report:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denon-avr-x3700h-avr-review.15031/

"I have been testing Denon AVR amplifiers using CD input which I have found to not be digitized allowing us to see the true performance the amplifier rather than any processing blocks. Question has been raised as to what happens when you turn on signal processing such as bass management. Here is the answer:

The answer is naturally, the AVR will digitize such analog signals the moment you do that. As it should. Fortunately the Pure Direct button overrides that as show in red graph. Digitization is at high sample rate of 96 kHz which is nice. Note that level changes a bit so be careful if you are doing AB tests."

So I am sure Gene found no difference in SINAD performance between Stereo and Direct for the same reason, because for those tests he would have set the speakers to "large" with no bass management. Same thing like the ECO thing, reviewers don't always read manuals and/or research the product first before hand. Some of us do, and even read service manuals.:D In this case though, reading the manual would have made no difference because the fact that analog input+stereo mode with no bass management, no dsp = direct mode is not documented. This is now a well kept secret that only those who have read the ASR review on the X3700H know, and only if they had paid attention to the details when reading the review.:D

This is what I'm looking for, at the 6700h price point and I'm pretty much satisfied. Cleanest AVP FFT pre-amp output

If you have use for 13 channel processing, the X6700H is a better value than the SR8015, that's just my opinion.

Bello

Again, no!! When "full" pre-amp mode is in use, the power amps are disconnected so ECO ON will have no effects on the pre-amp. D+M made that point clear in their response to questions before. If you search hard you should be able to find it. So one more time, ECO does not affect the pre-amp, it does, however if the power amps clipped, so if you engage pre-amp mode to disconnect the power amps then you are home free.

Something Gene may not know, but some of us here always know that using analog input (such as the CD input that Amir always used) direct mode bypasses the ADC/DSP/DAC route so SINAD has to be better than that in Stereo mode. However, we (or I anyway) didn't understand why Amir kept finding Stereo and Direct mode would make no difference, as Gene found out as well when measurement the SR8015. So recently I asked Amir to try measuring in stereo mode with speaker set to "large" vs "small with XO", sub on/off etc., just to find out when in stereo mode may be the speaker large/small setting, dsp such as Audyssey and/or the use of bass management has something to do bypassing the ADC route or not. Sure enough he confirmed what I guessed, sort of.. (in his review of the AVR-X3700H with the following report:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denon-avr-x3700h-avr-review.15031/

"I have been testing Denon AVR amplifiers using CD input which I have found to not be digitized allowing us to see the true performance the amplifier rather than any processing blocks. Question has been raised as to what happens when you turn on signal processing such as bass management. Here is the answer:

The answer is naturally, the AVR will digitize such analog signals the moment you do that. As it should. Fortunately the Pure Direct button overrides that as show in red graph. Digitization is at high sample rate of 96 kHz which is nice. Note that level changes a bit so be careful if you are doing AB tests."

So I am sure Gene found no difference in SINAD performance between Stereo and Direct for the same reason, because for those tests he would have set the speakers to "large" with no bass management. Same thing like the ECO thing, reviewers don't always read manuals and/or research the product first before hand. Some of us do, and even read service manuals.:D In this case though, reading the manual would have made no difference because the fact that analog input+stereo mode with no bass management, no dsp = direct mode is not documented. This is now a well kept secret that only those who have read the ASR review on the X3700H know, and only if they had paid attention to the details when reading the review.:D

If you have use for 13 channel processing, the X6700H is a better value than the SR8015, that's just my opinion.

OK, understood. I was trying to make sense between power amp disconnected in "full" pre-amp Mode. But then Amirm noted as to amp disconnect , "although - full power continues to sit on the amplifiers (experiencing some heat) while disconnected." From that standpoint, I thought from listening to Gene's review that some of that power would possibly bleed back to the power supply as Gene indicated on (SR8012) prior test. Affecting FFT pre-amp signal. The work around was to put the Eco mode to auto to stop current bleed, and now corrected in the SR8015. If I recall that was part of what he said in his review, I could be wrong.

Top Bottom