• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 22.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 178 54.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 68 20.7%

• Total voters

sask15

You are right though, Denon might put the best chips in the first run as you say knowing these will be reviewed and will dictate in a big way the overall sales of the units. Makes sense for sure.

mattsrs

If this were the case, wouldn't we see Intel/AMD/Nvidia etc in court everyday in the US ?

Because all their chips of the same model, even lowest bins would meet the official spec. Top bins have more headroom and potential to go beyond official spec usually by 5-15% in performance

jbattman1016

I believe the firmware update for Dirac Live on the 4800 is available now.

* To use the functions of Dirac Live, you need to purchase a paid license and a corresponding measurement microphone. Dirac Live Room Correction Limited Bandwidth: $259 Dirac Live Room Correction Full Bandwidth: $349 *Prices as of March 2023, 3. Please visit the Dirac website for the latest prices. For more information, see [URL='https://www.dirac.com/denon/']here[/URL] * For more information on purchasing Dirac Live licenses, please visit the Dirac website. For more information, see [URL='https://www.dirac.com/denon/']here[/URL] ※ How to use Dirac Live [URL='https://manuals.denon.com/DiracLive/ALL/JA/index.php']here[/URL] Please refer to the instruction manual of * Dirac Live and Audyssey MultEQ corrections cannot be used at the same time, but each setting can be registered in "Speaker Presets" and switched between them.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I agree with you, but the cynical side of me thinks this is not sustainable and maybe Denon used better chips only in first couple of months of production because they know people will drop ship them to bench test or reviewers test them right off the release.
That is a very cynical side you have there. Seems like it would not be worth the risk, or effort, to do this? Why risk damaging a reputation built over decades by deliberately deceiving your customers?

mattsrs

Greetings. I am on the fence about buying one of these... How many of you are having issues/bugs with your unit? I notice particularly on Crutch**eld half +/- of the customers have had a very bad experience so far with this. So just wondering how it is faring in this community? Thanks so much for sharing what you may!

I have had mine for 55 days and haven’t observed any bugs. I haven’t updated to the Dirac enabling firmware yet

CyrusTheGreat_600BC

That is a very cynical side you have there. Seems like it would not be worth the risk, or effort, to do this? Why risk damaging a reputation built over decades by deliberately deceiving your customers?
Well, they were very sneaky about x700 v2. That’s how I got more cynical than the usual :D

Joffy1780

Well, they were very sneaky about x700 v2. That’s how I got more cynical than the usual :D
I get that, but wasn't that due to AKM fire and subsequent supply issues?
Anyway, saying that, it's good to be cynical, no doubt.

jbattman1016

It would be so funny to be a Denon rep on this forum and seeing a conspiracy about special binned Dacs or other components used. Right or wrong, either “they are on to us“ or they are “what’s next“. Haha
You have it all wrong, the AVR will detect when it is being bench tested and run using the better DACs/ICs. And then not testing, it falls back to poor quality ones. So the AVR actually ships with BOTH sets of chips, but under normal operation, they can not be enabled.
/s

sask15

Nice so I will say within earshot of the receiver, “my name is Amir and this is a bench test” to engage superior components. Got it. All kidding aside it’s a great receiver in my books, couldn’t be happier with it really for anyone not sure whether or not to buy it.

RF Air

Forum Donor
My 4800 Updated last night and can see the Speaker Distances were reset in one of the menus. Dirac was added and a host of new features for Speaker Set-up were upgraded. It's nice what they added including finer detail for handling LFE and LPF (now scales down to 40 Hz) with Diagrams of Signal Path. No problems, nice update.

RF Air

Forum Donor
Nice so I will say within earshot of the receiver, “my name is Amir and this is a bench test” to engage superior components. Got it. All kidding aside it’s a great receiver in my books, couldn’t be happier with it really for anyone not sure whether or not to buy it.
There was something strange when my 4800 shipped to Amir. There was no record of it being shipped on FedEx's website, so I did not think it had been shipped. I notified Amir and he replied back "it's here". It arrived as scheduled but no record was available of it being shipped.

Probably flagged the Golden Ear Division of Big D and the clandestine swap was made. Just a guess, Denon really works hard to impress Amir and the ASR Forum! ;):cool:

RF Air

Forum Donor
Greetings. I am on the fence about buying one of these... How many of you are having issues/bugs with your unit? I notice particularly on Crutch**eld half +/- of the customers have had a very bad experience so far with this. So just wondering how it is faring in this community? Thanks so much for sharing what you may!
I've been a long time owner of Denon products. Just received my 4800 and I am impressed with it. Could have purchased anything I wanted but this model seemed to be perfect for me. I think it delivers with all of the upgrades to the new build in this model.

Rockman2

I've been a long time owner of Denon products. Just received my 4800 and I am impressed with it. Could have purchased anything I wanted but this model seemed to be perfect for me. I think it delivers with all of the upgrades to the new build in this model.
Looking forward to your HT thoughts. My 4800 will be used about 90% for HT and as stated before comming from an SR8015 so just hoping I will not loose much performance and or seporation in the HT aplication. I am how ever adding Atmos so I will have a 7.2.4 setup when I move in about a month from now. I had 7.1 in the old setup. The Atmos should help with the effects!

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Just got the Dirac Live license, ran first Dirac Live calibration (9 points because is in my bedroom setup) and calibration ran without a single issue, like perfectly smooth. Switching between Audyssey and Dirac while listening to music is literally shocking. No kidding, it's NIGHT and DAY difference. I'm already contemplating putting for sale my Living room X4700H and getting a second X4800H. I have Dirac Live in my office desk with a miniDSP FLEX TRS and Neumann KH150s + Rythmik Audio E22 subwoofer so I knew what to expect but switching on the fly between Audyssey and Dirac that's another history.

sask15

Really there is that much of a difference between the two calibrations? I’m on the fence and it’s a lot on money in Canada. $150-$175 for the mic and close to $500 CAD for Dirac.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just got the Dirac Live license, ran first Dirac Live calibration (9 points because is in my bedroom setup) and calibration ran without a single issue, like perfectly smooth. Switching between Audyssey and Dirac while listening to music is literally shocking. No kidding, it's NIGHT and DAY difference. I'm already contemplating putting for sale my Living room X4700H and getting a second X4800H. I have Dirac Live in my office desk with a miniDSP FLEX TRS and Neumann KH150s + Rythmik Audio E22 subwoofer so I knew what to expect but switching on the fly between Audyssey and Dirac that's another history.
Never thought I would see the day Dirac was on Denon/Marantz. So great to have choices with the bulletproof nature of Denon/Marantz. I was going to ask you about the big improvement. If you measure post Dirac and Audyssey with UMIK, is the frequency response very different between the two?

RF Air

Forum Donor
Looking forward to your HT thoughts. My 4800 will be used about 90% for HT and as stated before comming from an SR8015 so just hoping I will not loose much performance and or seporation in the HT aplication. I am how ever adding Atmos so I will have a 7.2.4 setup when I move in about a month from now. I had 7.1 in the old setup. The Atmos should help with the effects!
Exciting and trying time for you. Waiting on a home to be built has excitement and stress. I am adding Atmos and looking to go 7.3.4. Old set-up was 5.2. without Room Correction.

Learning curve ahead for me. Part of the decision for the 4800 was to have the latest On-Boards like Dirac and a proven performer with the Denon products. I've owned Denon for many years and mostly they have been outstanding with performance features and reliability.

No regrets so far with the 4800, I really like the user experience with the new GUI and the flexibility of adjustments overall. It's fun just playing with 2.2 now with Sub controls to dial in different capabilities offered with the 4800. I think it will be a great experience to own and play with often.

Good Luck with your home! I will post my HT journey along the way.

Joffy1780

Does it require a UMIK-2?

Top Bottom