• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 22.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 177 54.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 68 20.8%

• Total voters

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thats a shame. I think I will stick with my x3700. Pretty happy with the results of Audyssey, but curious if Dirac could to better.

PS: I just got an FV18 sub and love it.
You could could do a loop back with the PC just to try it out.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Onkyo Pioneer Integra also has two systems, MCACC and DIRAC in one box, straight from the factory and for free!
I was referring to Audyssey + Dirac Live.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Break out your wallets:

No M1+ support wth.
Dirac live will be an optional upgrade (upcharge). Once after firmware update in 2023 March, customers, either installers or DIY consumers, will need to go to dirac.com/denon or dirac.com/marantz to purchase a license key from Dirac to calibrate each AVR. Customers can purchase either a limited version or a full band-width. A MAC address will be needed. A license key for the limited version will cost $259 and the full-bandwidth version will cost $349. It will be possible to upgrade from the limited to the full-band width version at later stage with additional cost of $99.

RF Air

Forum Donor

RF Air

Forum Donor
Teaching my Cat how to use the new Remote. Unboxed the AVR today and Testing 2.2 Direct Stereo. BTW, Amir boxed and shipped it like the Factory, perfect! Thank you Amir!

Most impressed with the performance and the ease of the install. I will get into HT set-up this weekend after a short trip out of town. Playing Pre-Amp Out to McIntosh 300 Watt/Ch Amp to FR & FL KEF Reference with the paired REL's connected at Hi Level Connection on the S-510 Subs. No complaints, better than expected performance and worth the wait. :D

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Teaching my Cat how to use the new Remote. Unboxed the AVR today and Testing 2.2 Direct Stereo. BTW, Amir boxed and shipped it like the Factory, perfect! Thank you Amir!

Most impressed with the performance and the ease of the install. I will get into HT set-up this weekend after a short trip out of town. Playing Pre-Amp Out to McIntosh 300 Watt/Ch Amp to FR & FL KEF Reference with the paired REL's connected at Hi Level Connection on the S-510 Subs. No complaints, better than expected performance and worth the wait. :D
Glad you got it back and thanks a million for sending your X4800H to @amirm for testing.

Rockman2

Good to hear. Hope the HT performance is also great. Thanks for sending your unit in!

Nihon

They may not have the same DACs. Denon might have binned the chips (AKA cherry picking) and only used higher performing ones in 4800, and send lower ones to 3800 and 2800. It’s a common practice in CPU/GPU industry. That’s how third party manufacturers like Asus can have overclocked cards better than nVidia specs for 3090/4090.
It might be so. But, I am not brave enough to choose 4800H based on that guess...
The situation is different from CPUs, for which manufacturers give different names to chips with different measured performance, isn't it?

CyrusTheGreat_600BC

It might be so. But, I am not brave enough to choose 4800H based on that guess...
The situation is different from CPUs, for which manufacturers give different names to chips with different measured performance, isn't it?
I’m not buying 4800 either, mainly because of the price, but nVidia sells all 3090 to Asus, and Asus will have them sorted into Tuf, RoG, etc with different overclock ratings. You are partially right about CPUs though, since Intel uses laser to break/block the connection to parts not working on the silicone die of lesser models.

mattsrs

I’m not buying 4800 either, mainly because of the price, but nVidia sells all 3090 to Asus, and Asus will have them sorted into Tuf, RoG, etc with different overclock ratings. You are partially right about CPUs though, since Intel uses laser to break/block the connection to parts not working on the silicone die of lesser models.

What are you buying instead of 4800?

sask15

If Denon can “bin“ the chips based on performance at least we know the 4800 that was tested by Amir is typical as it was a true random sample from a customer. Most reviews of computer parts like CPU’s, graphics cards and memory are all sent in by manufacturers and are optimum samples/ perform better than you will likely ever find in the wild.

mattsrs

Eagerly waiting for RZ70 and RZ90 to be announced. I still have a perfectly fine 3700 with AKM chip, so the upgrade itch is bearable for now.

Cool... return period for my 4800h ends this weekend but I am going to keep it and decide to upgrade to RZ90 or Integra 8.4 later in the fall once reviews and measurements for those are out

NoCoYeti

Just a heads up - People are reporting a bug in the new firmware that wipes the distances in your configuration when using the quickset buttons.

rob755

Forum Donor
Greetings. I am on the fence about buying one of these... How many of you are having issues/bugs with your unit? I notice particularly on Crutch**eld half +/- of the customers have had a very bad experience so far with this. So just wondering how it is faring in this community? Thanks so much for sharing what you may!

Last edited:

sask15

rob755, No issues with my 4800 so far. Plugged it in, set things up, ran calibration. Works perfectly fine, sounds great. I am running two PSA subs, Anthem PVA5 for power, Monitor Audio silver 7g speakers, 65VT50 plasma and JVC projector, mostly use Apple 4K for all video sources but just works, no problems. I am not the type of guy to investigate every little thing with the unit either as I just want to set it up and leave it.

CyrusTheGreat_600BC

If Denon can “bin“ the chips based on performance at least we know the 4800 that was tested by Amir is typical as it was a true random sample from a customer. Most reviews of computer parts like CPU’s, graphics cards and memory are all sent in by manufacturers and are optimum samples/ perform better than you will likely ever find in the wild.
I agree with you, but the cynical side of me thinks this is not sustainable and maybe Denon used better chips only in first couple of months of production because they know people will drop ship them to bench test or reviewers test them right off the release.

scrp

If this were the case, wouldn't we see Intel/AMD/Nvidia etc in court everyday in the US ?

sask15

No it’s more for overclocking of cpu‘s/gpu’s and tweaking beyond what they are intended for. They can almost always meet the requirements for stock speeds but in the reviews they will show them overclocking to outrageous speeds when in fact it was a golden sample they had binned/hand picked for reviewers. But it would still make people buy them like crazy thinking they can hit the same speeds even though overclocking was supposedly frowned upon by Intel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom