• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

Music1969

Major Contributor
The more practical way would be across the top of the system from back out the front. You want to keep the top of the system clear of hot air. Not to ever have hot air return back down into the system.

A fan on top of the AVR that sucks from below and pushes air upwards, is ok too?

I saw your posts recommending 6700 over 4700/3700 for heat concerns - very interesting.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A fan on top of the AVR that sucks from below and pushes air upwards, is ok too?

I saw your posts recommending 6700 over 4700/3700 for heat concerns - very interesting.

In my experience (ommv..) that would be okay as I have been doing it this way for years now. Dust is always going to be there, whether you use the fans to suck, blow, or no fans. At least if there is forced air flow, dust should have less chance to settle. I do vacuum my rooms regularly and that should help a little.:D

Bello

Air going through a system is not recommended. Either top or bottom regardless. Like in a convection oven, heat dissipates out through the top w/ out top obstruction. Its simple, why compromises your system? Make sense?

I have a 25 year old Yamaha AVR. I opened it up last year, it was clean as a whistle. Unless something forces air into the unit, NO DUST will accumulate, PERIOD!

Music1969

Major Contributor
Air going through a system is not recommended. Either top or bottom regardless. Like in a convection oven, heat dissipates out through the top w/ out top obstruction. Its simple, why compromises your system? Make sense?

I have a 25 year old Yamaha AVR. I opened it up last year, it was clean as a whistle. Unless something forces air into the unit, NO DUST will accumulate, PERIOD!

Ok!

I don't have my current 4520 inside a cabinet - it is a rack with open back, front, left and right. But there is a shelf maybe 2.5 inches above.

So it is not as bad as fully enclosed cabinet but clearance above is not great.

4520 doesn't get warm so I expect 4700 should be ok !?

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My Denon 4700 gets very hot if the internal amps are in use for 90 minutes. I place the $20 "AC Infinity MULTIFAN S7" on top of the Denon 4700 blowing air upward and the unit runs much cooler.

The 4700 sits on top of a cabinet with 6 feet of open air on four sides and it would get hot without a fan. The S7 fans blow the air up and away from the 4700 and it does a great job of solving the heat issue while staying quiet on the low setting. I tried a more expensive fan but it was louder and didn't do the job as well. I have the fans plugged into a power strip with USB power ports along with the 4700. I turn the strip off when I'm not using the Receiver which automatically turns off the fans as well.

Without the fans it was painful to place my hand on top of the receiver after it was used to play a 90 minute movie. Once the S7 was installed the receiver was amazing cool.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JLV4BWC/

Bello

Ok!

I don't have my current 4520 inside a cabinet - it is a rack with open back, front, left and right. But there is a shelf maybe 2.5 inches above.

So it is not as bad as fully enclosed cabinet but clearance above is not great.

4520 doesn't get warm so I expect 4700 should be ok !?

Doesn't sound like you system is confined in a small area. Knowing the 4700 heat issues, you can just monitor the heat above the system. Worse case, a small fan would suffice across the top. Hanging in the back, just above the system rear and you're set. Main reason why I shied away from the 4700 ~ 6700 (read my posts) the heat that it retains due to limited engineering due to cost? From the front op-panel ribbon cable which is bridged over a line of amplifiers using a metal bracket. I thought, wow, such a genus idea if you like a few poached eggs or destroy your system in a few years. In my opinion, 6700 is more superior in component structure (mono block heat sinks) overall h/w layout. I'm a technical engineer, it was a no brainer. After a few tests with both systems, I was able to determine root cause of high heat, even in full pre-amp mode ONLY low BIAS Volt present) it was still unacceptable to me. Unless, you run your system, lets say in the North pole but winter months only... The 6700 was a great performer in that respect. Pre-amp mode / cool and full Amp tested well. I run my system in full pre-amp mode w/ XPA-7 Emotiva.

FYI- these systems have two small tiny built in fans under the amps which will likely never turn on. When the Amp heat reaches a critical state they turn on. During testing, I never got it that hot nor have I heard of anyone on this forum experience these fans turning on. Amp Critical state, I believe is above 210 degrees Fahrenheit which is very HOT. All these amps normally run hot. It's how they dissipate the heat away out of the unit effectively or in this case ineffectively due to that brass bridge cross over . The 6700-8500 are best in that regard. The low end systems might be limited due to cost. Hence the 6700 ~ 8500 much more expensive.

The 4700 as tested is a great system on its own. I just had a few concerns / issues that had me go for the 6700 ( overall sweet spot).

Newman

Major Contributor
Are any owners here able to confirm whether you can manually edit the EQ?

And if so, do you have to start from scratch? Or can you take an auto-EQ result and ‘tweak’ it manually?

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are several ways you can modify the Denon Audyssey EQ. Here are a few:
1. You can turn Audyssey off or use Direct mode (which also turns it off)
2. You can use DEQ to add bass at lower volume levels and within it are 4 different settings (0, 5, 10, 15)
Audyssey App
3. Using the app you can turn off the standard BBC "Midrange (reduction) curve" on each set of speakers.
4. You can select which portion of the FR will be impacted by Audyssey.
5. You can manually change the curve to an individual house curve you desire. (Not as pinpointed as RatBuddy but it is functional)
RatBuddy
5. You can export the Audyssey setting from the app and manually tweak any portion of the FR to flatten REW measurements using a PC.
6. RatBuddy allows the user to input precise equalization points that would be impossible to do with the Audyssey app and a finger.

As you can see, Audyssey can be very powerful, offer custom curves or be an easy to use automatic EQ tool. It's totally up to you.

Last edited:

Newman

Major Contributor
Thanks, interesting.

So, does Direct Mode allow parametric input via centre frequency, gain, and Q?

And, after doing an Audyssey correction, can you tweak it parametrically as above? Perhaps by switching to Direct Mode after running Audyssey?

Klint

I give up.
Do any of you guys know if the Denon can display the resolution of the source.
Listening to Spotify (denon) and trying to see, whats the res.
Thanks

Macfox

I give up.
Do any of you guys know if the Denon can display the resolution of the source.
Listening to Spotify (denon) and trying to see, whats the res.
Thanks
You mean bitrate? No it doesn't unfortunately. Pressing the Info button will show all available information regarding input and output, including screen resolution. It doesn't show bitrate of Spotify streams though.

Klint

You mean bitrate? No it doesn't unfortunately. Pressing the Info button will show all available information regarding input and output, including screen resolution. It doesn't show bitrate of Spotify streams though.
Thank you.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So, does Direct Mode allow parametric input via centre frequency, gain, and Q?

No, Denon/Marantz don't offer PEQs. PEQs are IIR type (infinite impulse response) filters, such as YPAO, and even Anthem ARC's (not sure about their newest version). Denon/Maraantz use FIR filters (Finite impulse response). Minidsp has a short article on comparing the two:

FIR vs IIR filtering (minidsp.com).

As always, each has its own advantages and disadvantages. I prefer Audyssey's because it makes manual tweaking easier, and in my opinion, more precise (as amper42 alluded to) if you use Ratbuddyssey, because you simply have to enter your own frequency (anchor point), and the cuts or boosts at each point. You don't have to worry about the "Q", because Audyssey will simply take you input and re-do the filter sets. If you are not as demanding as some of us are, you don't need to use Ratbuddyssey, just use the $20 MultEQ Editor App.

Audyssey MultEQ Editor app - Apps on Google Play
Announcing ratbuddyssey - a tool for tweaking Audyssey MultEQ app files | AVS Forum

And, after doing an Audyssey correction, can you tweak it parametrically as above? Perhaps by switching to Direct Mode after running Audyssey?

If you use Direct mode, Audyssey and Graphic EQ cannot be used. I guess that's why it is call direct mode.:D You can switch to direct mode after running Audyssey, but again, you will be listening to the source contents "directly", without any DSP/EQ effects.

Newman

Major Contributor
Ah, I see, I misunderstood amper42 when he said Direct Mode was a way to modify the EQ. I thought he was saying it is a manual EQ method, but now I see you are saying it bypasses EQ.

EB1000

Hi

To X4700H owners: Does it support Deezer or any other audio service at lossless quality? Does it support DSD multichannel via HeOS or HDMI in?

Thanks

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

To X4700H owners: Does it support Deezer or any other audio service at lossless quality? Does it support DSD multichannel via HeOS or HDMI in?

Thanks

I use Audirvana for streaming. It's offers a superior interface for my CD AIFF files and Qobuz. In fact, today they just released a new update which improves DLNA and playlists.

As far as HEOS, it's a great free option, that will stream music to the Denon 4700 as well.
Supported Services:
TuneIn
Deezer
iHeart Radio
Soundcloud
Rhapsody
Spotify
Amazon Music
Napster
SiriusXM
Tidal
Home DLNA Music Servers
Music on the Phone/Tablet

It will support playing WMA, MP3, WAV, MPEG-4, AAC, FLAC, Apple Lossless and DSD files from a USB thumb drive plugged into the front of the receiver. The interface is basic but works. HEOS requires a separate HEOS phone/tabet app. It won't do anything if you are trying to make it work with the receiver only.

HEOS also offers the ability to control the Main Zone and Zone2 and Zone3 if you have those connected. (Multi-zones don't work if pre-amp mode only is selected) HEOS is a nice basic tool that does the job. If I didn't discover Audirvana I would probably be using HEOS more often.

Last edited:

EB1000

I use Audirvana for streaming. It's offers a superior interface for my CD AIFF files and Qobuz. In fact, today they just released a new update which improves DLNA and playlists.

As far as HEOS, it's a great free option, that will stream music to the Denon 4700 as well.
Supported Services:
TuneIn
Deezer
iHeart Radio
Soundcloud
Rhapsody
Spotify
Amazon Music
Napster
SiriusXM
Tidal
Home DLNA Music Servers
Music on the Phone/Tablet

It will support playing WMA, MP3, WAV, MPEG-4, AAC, FLAC, Apple Lossless and DSD files from a USB thumb drive plugged into the front of the receiver. The interface is basic but works. HEOS requires a separate HEOS phone/tabet app. It won't do anything if you are trying to make it work with the receiver only.

HEOS also offers the ability to control the Main Zone and Zone2 and Zone3 if you have those connected. (Multi-zones don't work if pre-amp mode only is selected) HEOS is a nice basic tool that does the job. If I didn't discover Audirvana I would probably be using HEOS more often.
Thanks. I'm familiar with Denon HeOS. My question was about lossless support for Deezer or Tidal via HeOS app? I know for a fact that the older Denon models such as the X4400h only support lossy playback of Tidal and Deezer.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. I'm familiar with Denon HeOS. My question was about lossless support for Deezer or Tidal via HeOS app? I know for a fact that the older Denon models such as the X4400h only support lossy playback of Tidal and Deezer.

If you use the USB thumb drive with HEOS and a lossless format you can avoid lossy playback. That's why I prefer to use a streaming software that supports the built-in DLNA wifi transfer offered by the Denon 4700 like Audirvana.

user54

If you use the USB thumb drive with HEOS and a lossless format you can avoid lossy playback. That's why I prefer to use a streaming software that supports the built-in DLNA wifi transfer offered by the Denon 4700 like Audirvana.

Will the quality be better through wi-fi than through usb?

Top Bottom