• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-x4500h Preout vs JRDG Capri stereo preamp Preout

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
Ok, so I recorded both preouts and plan to post a link to files so you can all test them. The reason is to find out if Denon 4500 and the likes is enough to play 2 channel music, because AVRs measure poorly most of the time. Or you have to have a separate system for 2 channel music. But first, i wanna explain the chain and i need some advice on level matching.
First, i will be posting three files: The original song cropped to about 90 seconds, song recorded from denon preout and capri preout. Do i keep the original song as a control? I think we need it, but to simplify I can post only recordings. The song is 16bit 44khz originally and i am gonna explain the pathways.
Denon path: PC (windows 10, foobar, wasapi event, realtek onboard) - Toslink - Denon - rca - Capri bypass - XLR - Steinberg UR22 mkII - USB to PC (Windows 10, Audacity)
JRDG Capri : PC (windows 10, foobar, ASIO, XMOS usb driver) - USB cable - Aune S6 DAC - XLR - JRDG Capri - XLR - Steinberg UR22 mkII - USB to PC (Windows 10, Audacity)
All three files will be 90 seconds long in 16bit 44khz format as the original song is. I did record them in 24 bits, but then exported to 16bits so that all three files would be similar. The reason I recorded in 24 bits was because i was afraid that some clipping could occur if the track got hotter in some part and i missed it. Also, i did record them a bit softer then the original, again for the same reason. So now we have original song which is the loudest and recordings which are little softer in volume and not perfectly level matched. To test, they need to be level matched perfectly.
Now i need the advice on that. I was thinking (and already tried it) to use normalize function in Audacity where all three tracks could be level matched perfectly. If you agree that is the way to go, then I am ready to post them. If normalizing is messing with the song, then i can post them raw and someone more knowledgable can level match them digitally with as little messing as possible.
One more thing, i was thinking on naming them in a way that you can't know which is which, and i would send a note to someone at the beginning, so that i am not the only one that knows. This would make it blind testing in a way.
As for the results, i would be open to all solutions. You can ABX them, look at waveforms, whatever. One thing that must be different for all three is noise, so i would disregard that. You can't null them also, because the beginning is not identical, but if you want to sync them, then ok.
I am wainting on your input on how to proceed. If you have any suggestion, please. BTW, I used toslink for Denon instead of HDMI, because it measured better in Amir's test of 4700, and since HDMI is usually worse. But when i listen to Denon, I use only HDMI because of comfort. I hate to switch audio devices.
Thank you

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, so I recorded both preouts and plan to post a link to files so you can all test them. The reason is to find out if Denon 4500 and the likes is enough to play 2 channel music, because AVRs measure poorly most of the time. Or you have to have a separate system for 2 channel music.

First of all, I would like to know your reference points. To be clear, I have a few 2 channel separates so I am not in a biased position. I just want to know when you say AVRs measure poorly most of the time and ask if we have to have a separate system for 2 channel music, it seems too general a statement. Are we comparing AVRs at the price point of the 4500 and what kind of separate system? Integrated amp, or preamp+power amp at comparable, lower, or higher price range?

Case in point, the amp sections of the Denon 3600, 4500, Arcam 850, Anthem 1120, Yamaha's WX-A50 (streamer but avr based, sort of..) all seem to have measured better than some separates ASR measured, including the modern ones such as Lyngdorf (integrated) and Outlaw 5000, M2200 (separates). Again, I like what you are trying to do and am very interested in it, just curious about the terms of reference.

OP
P

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
The idea is that if Denon 4500 preout recording can't be distinguished from a more expensive dedicated stereo preamp, then i can think about selling the surplus device. I am joking..
There really are no reference points for both devices i own. Denon 4500 hasn't been measured here and it could measure either like 3600 or 4700. Capri hasn't been measured here and i don't have a clue how it would fare. Measurements i found online are only A-weighted.
So, this test wouldn't hold much scientific value, but results could be interesting, because there are always questions here on what's audible and what's not.
So REW sweep is a good idea.
What about normalizing in Audacity? Is it safe to do that for level matching? If it is not doing anything to dynamic range of the individual tracks, then it's ok, i think.

OP
P

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
I used delta wave comparator to compare denon preout recording and capri preout recording and as far as i can tell, if i used correct settings, they are very similar. I tried ABX in foobar, and can't tell the difference. I didn't try ABX too hard, though, but i believe i would fail to find the difference.
So, either JRDG Capri isn't that good as it is priced and praised or Denon 4500h (Toslink) is very good. I know this test doesn't prove much, but only that there isn't a huge audible difference.

Attachments

• report.jpg
    report.jpg
    646.6 KB · Views: 170
Top Bottom