• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 84 18.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 211 46.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 124 27.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 32 7.1%

• Total voters
If you had run autosetup/Audyssey, volume 0 (more like +2.5 based on ASR measurements), that is volume 82.5 would be very loud, by THX, it would be 105 dB spl, that is the peak of THX movies, average would be about 85 dB and the voltage would be much lower than 2 V, about 0.2 V
Sounds about right. I'm into the mid 80's at -20 MV and that is plenty loud for the home in my opinion. Of course the subs hit harder than that but it is perceived differently.

Yes, but you have to specify the volume setting and the input voltage.

For example, we know at volume 82.5, at maximum digital input level, that is 0 dBFS, the output is about 2 V.

Edit: Keep in mind voltage will be doubled for +6 dB vol increase, halved for 6 dB decrease.

If you had run autosetup/Audyssey, volume 0 (more like +2.5 based on ASR measurements), that is volume 82.5 would be very loud, by THX, it would be 105 dB spl, that is the peak of THX movies, average would be about 85 dB and the voltage would be much lower than 2 V, about 0.2 V

Also, preamp mode or not, voltage will be the same, just that in preamp mode, at the same output voltage, SINAD will be higher, that is distortions plus noise will be lower.
Thanks Peng for your reply.
I believe I can figure it out from here.

Thanks Peng for your reply.
I believe I can figure it out from here.
You are welcome, feel free to ask again if you have more questions on this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom