• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Thanks alot for your quick reply.

Thing is when running the speakers on the parasound I have the feeling that the sound is much better. More punch, better separation of effects and larger in scale.

I know there are big debates on the Internet on weather power amps sound better than avrs. I sadly dont have the knowledge to asses the validity but i do beleave that the parasound is better based on what i hear.

I copy a remak from another user on a different forum:

Other things come into play like how big are the output capacitors and how quickly can they release their energy and how quickly can they be recharged by the supply, how badly does it misbehave when the load increases and how accurate is it with extremely tiny loads (which is most of the time), slew rates, ability to control overshoot of the cones, feedback settings, etc. A watt is not a watt when you start adding load. And when you start adding a variable, constantly changing load with variable impedences, these things can start to make a difference.

Very interested to hear you take on this.

And thanks again for your time!

Yep - it all comes down to power supply...

an 85W amp with a serious high current power supply, is pretty likely to do better than a 120W amp which runs out of puff in its power supply.

Unfortunately it is very very difficult to tell where the specific amp is at, and where it sits in relation to the X3700 - and especially given the possible combinations and permutations!!

What you have in the X3700 is a very capable set of amps, but a power supply, that in an ideal world, would power only 2 channels.

So how do you parcel out your available power supply capacity is what it comes down to.

The "hungriest" bit in terms of current is usually the bass - but it also requires power - so do you allocate the X3700 to drive the Woofers in Biamp mode, and the parasound to drive the top end? It's one of many possible combos!

I experimented with BiAmping - combining my Onkyo TX-SR876 and later my Integra DTR 70.4, with a pair of Quad 606 power amps... Simply replacing the internal amps with the Quads achieved a slightly smoother - better midrange - the difference was however very slight (and possibly not discernible in double blind testing) - running the Quads in Biamp might have improved things marginally - another step that was potentially an improvement but probably not enough to tell in double blind. - I also tried the AVR's on their own BiAmping... no benefit gained there.

The Quad's are 140W@8ohm the AVR's are also 140W@8ohm...

After reading various articles, and reading that the speakers designer used to demo them with 500W@8ohm Class D amps.... I came across the Crown XLS2500 ... 440W@8ohm, 1200W@2 ohm - roughly in the same category as what Anthony Gallo used at demo's.

Got a pair used, so it didn't cost too much - and sure enough - that was a noticeable improvement. - I tried using them BiAmped ... not a noticeable improvement - tried them bridged too - again no audible improvement.

I hate to say it, but the results are not easily predictable - too many variables - in my case the clue as to what might be optimal, for my speakers, was what the speakers designer had used to demo them with at audio shows - and finding an amp similar in spec achieved great results.

I purchased those amps as an experiment - and I was willing to give them up if it failed, and resell them again - instead they have stayed with me the last 10 years.

To some degree, you really have to try them out.

If you have audiophile friends with spare amps lying around - try those out too.

Amps and Speaker matching can be tricky - in my case, I feel like the issue got resolved with massive overkill.... I could probably achieve the same result with less than half the 8 ohm power.... as long as the amp was also capable of at least 400W @ 2 ohm... the key being high current into low impedance load (for my particular speakers) - but such amps are not all that common - and tend to be much more expensive than what I paid for my Crowns.
In my opinion, an amps capabilities into difficult loads is a critical factor - can it drive a 2 ohm load continuously, at the appropriate power/voltage levels for your listening requirements.... - This won't be an important factor if your speakers are "pure" 8 ohm - but if they have crossovers that drop the impedance way down (not uncommon) - then in the real world the ability to put out major amounts of current become critical - and a heck of a lot of manufacturers don't provide any 2 ohm specs.... making it very hard to tell whether a specific amp will handle it or not.

The Quad 606's I have - were specified as "unconditionally stable into any load" - and the manual shows a chart of the available power at various impedances - sadly... although it has heaps of power at 8 ohm (140W) and 4 ohm (165W - already showing current limts), at 2 ohm it is down to 90W... which in voltage equivalence is the equivalent of 22W into 8 ohm.... - giving a clear idea of what the limitations are - the AVR's were probably showing exactly the same symptom. - An "Ideal" amp should double down as the impedance halves... so a 150W amp at 8ohm, should become 300W at 4ohm and 600W at 2 ohm.... sadly almost no amp achieves this... true high current designs will multiply by around 1.7x into 4 ohm and a further 1.5x into 2 ohm.

I did the experiment and am happy with the result ... for now... at some point if the opportunity arises, I may seek out a more audiophile alternative to the pro/pa Crowns - but so far they have bettered some fairly serious competition.

Don't hesitate to experiment!

delta76

Major Contributor
Thanks alot for your quick reply.

Thing is when running the speakers on the parasound I have the feeling that the sound is much better. More punch, better separation of effects and larger in scale.

I know there are big debates on the Internet on weather power amps sound better than avrs. I sadly dont have the knowledge to asses the validity but i do beleave that the parasound is better based on what i hear.

I copy a remak from another user on a different forum:

Other things come into play like how big are the output capacitors and how quickly can they release their energy and how quickly can they be recharged by the supply, how badly does it misbehave when the load increases and how accurate is it with extremely tiny loads (which is most of the time), slew rates, ability to control overshoot of the cones, feedback settings, etc. A watt is not a watt when you start adding load. And when you start adding a variable, constantly changing load with variable impedences, these things can start to make a difference.

Very interested to hear you take on this.

And thanks again for your time!
AVR is simply a DAC + Preamp + Amp bundled together (with of course features like video processing etc.). So saying power amps sounds better than AVRs is kinda pointless.
Yes some AVRs do sound bad because of noise and distortion (well, some may think it's better for music, like in case of Marantz), so does some amps. For this specific AVR (x3700h), its built-in amp is very decent and you will most likely not hear any difference. As always, the weakest link in your system is likely the speakers itself

DutchJay

Yep - it all comes down to power supply...

an 85W amp with a serious high current power supply, is pretty likely to do better than a 120W amp which runs out of puff in its power supply.

Unfortunately it is very very difficult to tell where the specific amp is at, and where it sits in relation to the X3700 - and especially given the possible combinations and permutations!!

What you have in the X3700 is a very capable set of amps, but a power supply, that in an ideal world, would power only 2 channels.

So how do you parcel out your available power supply capacity is what it comes down to.

The "hungriest" bit in terms of current is usually the bass - but it also requires power - so do you allocate the X3700 to drive the Woofers in Biamp mode, and the parasound to drive the top end? It's one of many possible combos!

I experimented with BiAmping - combining my Onkyo TX-SR876 and later my Integra DTR 70.4, with a pair of Quad 606 power amps... Simply replacing the internal amps with the Quads achieved a slightly smoother - better midrange - the difference was however very slight (and possibly not discernible in double blind testing) - running the Quads in Biamp might have improved things marginally - another step that was potentially an improvement but probably not enough to tell in double blind. - I also tried the AVR's on their own BiAmping... no benefit gained there.

The Quad's are 140W@8ohm the AVR's are also 140W@8ohm...

After reading various articles, and reading that the speakers designer used to demo them with 500W@8ohm Class D amps.... I came across the Crown XLS2500 ... 440W@8ohm, 1200W@2 ohm - roughly in the same category as what Anthony Gallo used at demo's.

Got a pair used, so it didn't cost too much - and sure enough - that was a noticeable improvement. - I tried using them BiAmped ... not a noticeable improvement - tried them bridged too - again no audible improvement.

I hate to say it, but the results are not easily predictable - too many variables - in my case the clue as to what might be optimal, for my speakers, was what the speakers designer had used to demo them with at audio shows - and finding an amp similar in spec achieved great results.

I purchased those amps as an experiment - and I was willing to give them up if it failed, and resell them again - instead they have stayed with me the last 10 years.

To some degree, you really have to try them out.

If you have audiophile friends with spare amps lying around - try those out too.

Amps and Speaker matching can be tricky - in my case, I feel like the issue got resolved with massive overkill.... I could probably achieve the same result with less than half the 8 ohm power.... as long as the amp was also capable of at least 400W @ 2 ohm... the key being high current into low impedance load (for my particular speakers) - but such amps are not all that common - and tend to be much more expensive than what I paid for my Crowns.
In my opinion, an amps capabilities into difficult loads is a critical factor - can it drive a 2 ohm load continuously, at the appropriate power/voltage levels for your listening requirements.... - This won't be an important factor if your speakers are "pure" 8 ohm - but if they have crossovers that drop the impedance way down (not uncommon) - then in the real world the ability to put out major amounts of current become critical - and a heck of a lot of manufacturers don't provide any 2 ohm specs.... making it very hard to tell whether a specific amp will handle it or not.

The Quad 606's I have - were specified as "unconditionally stable into any load" - and the manual shows a chart of the available power at various impedances - sadly... although it has heaps of power at 8 ohm (140W) and 4 ohm (165W - already showing current limts), at 2 ohm it is down to 90W... which in voltage equivalence is the equivalent of 22W into 8 ohm.... - giving a clear idea of what the limitations are - the AVR's were probably showing exactly the same symptom. - An "Ideal" amp should double down as the impedance halves... so a 150W amp at 8ohm, should become 300W at 4ohm and 600W at 2 ohm.... sadly almost no amp achieves this... true high current designs will multiply by around 1.7x into 4 ohm and a further 1.5x into 2 ohm.

I did the experiment and am happy with the result ... for now... at some point if the opportunity arises, I may seek out a more audiophile alternative to the pro/pa Crowns - but so far they have bettered some fairly serious competition.

Don't hesitate to experiment!
Great input!

I'll start testing the set up. The minimum impedance for the 300's is 4 ohm, and the parasound does 125 watts RMS per channel in 4 ohms so should be ok.

Will be very interesting to see if I can hear a difference when driving the fronts in stereo on the denon versus the parasound...

In any case, after the parasound took a big load off the denon I immediately found the SQ far better. So happy with the combo!

J.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Great input!

I'll start testing the set up. The minimum impedance for the 300's is 4 ohm, and the parasound does 125 watts RMS per channel in 4 ohms so should be ok.

Will be very interesting to see if I can hear a difference when driving the fronts in stereo on the denon versus the parasound...

In any case, after the parasound took a big load off the denon I immediately found the SQ far better. So happy with the combo!

J.
Very unlikely that you will hear a difference.
Make sure the two setups are level matched, ideally with a voltmeter and you conduct the test blind (otherwise your expectation bias will dictate the outcome).

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Very unlikely that you will hear a difference.
Make sure the two setups are level matched, ideally with a voltmeter and you conduct the test blind (otherwise your expectation bias will dictate the outcome).
With my Integra DRX 3.4 vs the Crown XLS2500 - the difference was immediately apparent - and quite dramatic.

The 3.4 had a confused soundstage, best way to describe it! - as soon as the Crown was there, it cleaned up totally and the imaging and staging became quite clear and disinct... - both ways were using the 3.4 as preamp, but one test had it as per and power (AVR) - the other used the 3.4 as Pre only - chalk and cheese.

Yes multiple amps operating well within their design parameters will sound identical - but take an amp and try and run it Outside its design parameters (in this case a speaker with a woofer at 3 ohm and tweeter at 1.6 ohm, when the amp is designed for 4 ohm as its minimum) - then compare it with an amp that by design can handle 1 ohm loads, and can in unbridged stereo mode, put 1200W out into 2 ohm......

Yes they sound different - and obviously so... no blind test needed.

Same setup, using basic 8ohm speakers - and the two amps sound identical .... as they should!

Amps only sound alike when they are all within their operational parameters - if you drive them outside those parameters, they all misbehave differently, based on their differing designs.

AVR's are a prime example of an amp with limited operational parameters - due to power supply constraints, they typically don't cope well with 4 ohm speakers, and are specified with 4 ohm being the MINIMUM Impedance for speakers attached to it.... (you drive a 4 ohm load too long and too hard with most AVR's and the nanny circuits will cut you off as it self protects!)

So there are plenty of speakers that end up outside an AVR's optimal operating zone.... hence external power amps!

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
With my Integra DRX 3.4 vs the Crown XLS2500 - the difference was immediately apparent - and quite dramatic.

The 3.4 had a confused soundstage, best way to describe it! - as soon as the Crown was there, it cleaned up totally and the imaging and staging became quite clear and disinct... - both ways were using the 3.4 as preamp, but one test had it as per and power (AVR) - the other used the 3.4 as Pre only - chalk and cheese.

Yes multiple amps operating well within their design parameters will sound identical - but take an amp and try and run it Outside its design parameters (in this case a speaker with a woofer at 3 ohm and tweeter at 1.6 ohm, when the amp is designed for 4 ohm as its minimum) - then compare it with an amp that by design can handle 1 ohm loads, and can in unbridged stereo mode, put 1200W out into 2 ohm......

Yes they sound different - and obviously so... no blind test needed.

Same setup, using basic 8ohm speakers - and the two amps sound identical .... as they should!

Amps only sound alike when they are all within their operational parameters - if you drive them outside those parameters, they all misbehave differently, based on their differing designs.

AVR's are a prime example of an amp with limited operational parameters - due to power supply constraints, they typically don't cope well with 4 ohm speakers, and are specified with 4 ohm being the MINIMUM Impedance for speakers attached to it.... (you drive a 4 ohm load too long and too hard with most AVR's and the nanny circuits will cut you off as it self protects!)

So there are plenty of speakers that end up outside an AVR's optimal operating zone.... hence external power amps!
Level matched?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Level matched?
Irrelevant and unnecessary - when the differences are slight - yes... when the system has gone outside of its capabilities - you don't need a level matched test to identify a distorting system from one that is clean.

GalZohar

Irrelevant and unnecessary - when the differences are slight - yes... when the system has gone outside of its capabilities - you don't need a level matched test to identify a distorting system from one that is clean.

Without level matching, though, one might reach the distorting level while the other won't, even if both distort at the same level in practice.

haifai1982

94 pages to read is too much to see what pros and cons this AVR has (the measurements seem good). Can anyone make a short list? :) Would be running 2.1 setup (Pair of Genelec G3 + sub). Thanks!

The price in EU is about 1400-1500€ at the moment..

delta76

Major Contributor
94 pages to read is too much to see what pros and cons this AVR has (the measurements seem good). Can anyone make a short list? :) Would be running 2.1 setup (Pair of Genelec G3 + sub). Thanks!

The price in EU is about 1400-1500€ at the moment..
The cons is mainly audyssey (some people prefer Dirac), only one HDMI 2.1 output, and no auro 3d.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is impossible. There are a thousand things about these devices and there's no way anyone has time to write that up for you.

The cons is mainly audyssey (some people prefer Dirac)
I consider that a big pro.

delta76

Major Contributor
That is impossible. There are a thousand things about these devices and there's no way anyone has time to write that up for you.

I consider that a big pro.
I am neutral but the consensus is more people prefer Dirac. Rumors (take with a grain of salt) have it Denon will move to Dirac in next iteration

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Without level matching, though, one might reach the distorting level while the other won't, even if both distort at the same level in practice.
Not particularly likely as they are both calibrated using an old but good Radio Shack SPL meter... - so they will be within a couple of db of each other..

Not matched - but close enough that at my normal listening level (calibrated to 75db at MLP) there should not be any concern with regards to level based distortion - both amps would be running around the 1W range in average terms, and no more than circa 20W at peaks.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not particularly likely as they are both calibrated using an old but good Radio Shack SPL meter... - so they will be within a couple of db of each other..

Not matched - but close enough that at my normal listening level (calibrated to 75db at MLP) there should not be any concern with regards to level based distortion - both amps would be running around the 1W range in average terms, and no more than circa 20W at peaks.

I compared my AVRs with my separate amps a few times and did not experience any noticeable difference. My listening level is typically about 65 to 70 dB from 10-11 feet, amp output average <0.1 to .2 W, peaks to 20 W or so.

1 W average could be accompanied by 100 W peak for some contents so I think your Integra might have been clipping.

I have an 80 W receiver set up to compared with my Buckeye amp so I may try to listen to louder level and see what happens. I think there will be no audible difference until the receiver is pushed to its clipping point so I may have to wear earplugs for the test..

SlowCar

I have 3700 + Polk R700 (pair) setup. Audyssey correction done with app. BBC dip turned off, bass +4dB (similar as in AmirM review of Audyssey). Dynamic EQ turned on, Reference offset 10dB. Towers set as Large. All other things turned off (no sw, center channel etc.). During music playback everything is ok, but when I watch movie I feel lack of bass (especially during heavy battle scenes) - how to change it? Tv connected by optical cable.

DrStranger

I have 3700 + Polk R700 (pair) setup. Audyssey correction done with app. BBC dip turned off, bass +4dB (similar as in AmirM review of Audyssey). Dynamic EQ turned on, Reference offset 10dB. Towers set as Large. All other things turned off (no sw, center channel etc.). During music playback everything is ok, but when I watch movie I feel lack of bass (especially during heavy battle scenes) - how to change it? Tv connected by optical cable.
why not hdmi ?

Top Bottom