• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could use some advise on choosing between the 3700h and 4700h.

Currently have a 4400h. Monolith amp powers my front three channels. So this would be powering my rear KEF q350s, overhead KEF Ci200QRs, and KEF Q50as.

I don't need the extra HDMI port, don't need auro-3d, so the question comes down to the power jump. Will I need extra power or would I notice the difference?
What's wrong with your 4400?

rccarguy

Yeah of it ain't broke don't fix it, 4400 is still new. I'm using a non hdmi av pre still

Mr. Majestic

Thanks for the input.

I am just upgrading for HDMI 2.1 features (VRR, 4K@120Hz, etc). No other reason.

SKBubba

Fine, what if I am open to connecting my PC to the AVR via USB / HDMI? Best ways to get Hi Res audio from Qobuz / Amazon Music HD to the AVR?

A topping d10 converts usb to toslink for around $90. I use this because hdmi was unstable (avr kept changing the supported bit rate the pc sees). Toslink is limited to 96k, but there isn't much 192k content on either service.

DrewMcG

Forum Donor
Could use some advise on choosing between the 3700h and 4700h.

Currently have a 4400h. Monolith amp powers my front three channels. So this would be powering my rear KEF q350s, overhead KEF Ci200QRs, and KEF Q50as.

I don't need the extra HDMI port, don't need auro-3d, so the question comes down to the power jump. Will I need extra power or would I notice the difference?
I have no experience/knowledge of those speakers, but hard for me to imagine that the X3700H is the better move (value) for you application. It should have plenty of power to drive six speakers, especially those apart from the front sound stage. I have purchased each of these AVRs, and opted for the X4700H for my application specifically for the extra amplification to drive 9 speakers (no supplemental amp). The addition of Auro 3d, which I use all the time and enjoy very much, was icing on the cake. Good luck.

applejax

Really the last bastions for upgrade incentive are
Better Quality Sound, Better Quality Auto EQ, More/newer HDMI ports. Denon is updating their receiver lines 480p UI to 1080p in the next generation I saw in a Sound United Video on YouTube. So figure that will be the 2022/2023 lineup, but I’m not sure that will make anyone “update” their AVR. I personally don’t see much call for 8k when our human eyes can’t even resolve 4k at normal seating distance. We are at a clear threshold of diminishing returns and I’m quite pleased with the amount of product and “future proofing” I found available in the x6700h for my personal HT “wants”! I have upgraded my AVR on average every 3 years over the last 20 years. My last AVR I kept 4 years (x7200wa). This AVR I expect will last me until I need more than one HDMI 2.1 port, which may be 5 years +.
Denon must be somewhat concerned about this slowing upgrade cycle in their business. Likewise the x3700h for around $1k is very near end game status for a lot of people with its 7.2.4 support. I wonder how Denon HQ plans to address this in their 5 year and 10 year planning meetings.

I am upgrading my receiver. I am disappointed that the entire Denon line has the same DAC (save the 8700 from what I understand). The consensus is the 3700 is in a sweet spot, so then entice me to a 4700 with better power supply, better op-amps, better DAC, c'mon, give me something!! I'm having trouble justifying the 4700 over the 3700, but if something like that was in the equation, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Give me some kind of magic that keeps current quality for movies, but then has a separate mode that blows me away for 2 channel audio.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am upgrading my receiver. I am disappointed that the entire Denon line has the same DAC (save the 8700 from what I understand). The consensus is the 3700 is in a sweet spot, so then entice me to a 4700 with better power supply, better op-amps, better DAC, c'mon, give me something!! I'm having trouble justifying the 4700 over the 3700, but if something like that was in the equation, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Give me some kind of magic that keeps current quality for movies, but then has a separate mode that blows me away for 2 channel audio.
Have you checked JD's post for the differences between the models? There's more than what's usually advertised:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/official-2020-denon-avr-owners-thread-faq-posts-1-8.3151088/

A snippet:

- X4700H - MSRP ($1699), 9.2CH (expandable to 11CH [7.2.4] w/2CH amp), 125W, HDMI In/Out (8/3, main/main/Zone 2 outputs) avail mid-June
Upgrading from the X3700H adds: front HDMI input, analog --> HDMI conversion, Zone 3 (same independent inputs as Zone 2 except not HDMI), a 2nd 12v trigger, front panel display of speaker inputs (or outputs), metal front panel with 2 line display, Custom 2 CH main zone settings (using FL/FR or dedicated Front B; LARGE/SMALL; crossover settings, sub – on/off, distance, level), Auro 3D 10.1/Auromatic, AL32 Processing, Bass Sync, same software used on the X8500H for improved audio quality also used on X4700H/X6700H; Remote Control able to store preset codes from other mfr devices (see below) and the ability to add Auro 3D Voice of God/Top Surround via the Subwoofer pre-out 2 only. Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (but not Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume, LFC) to be enabled with DTS Virtual:X as well as using Dynamic EQ + Dynamic Volume with IMAX Enhanced DTS:X - these features exist on the X4500H/X6700H and continue with the X4700H/X6700H. Sound quality has been improved (over the X3700H) using the same software technique used with the X8500H.

Hope it helps.

Atlantis089

Hello, I am somewhat in the same situation. I will soon acquire a 3700 or 4700 but the price difference is 400 euros. The 4700 has a little more power (which might be useful when I go on 5.1.4, currently 5.1). The dual display is also very practical, the hidden buttons a plus, and the hdmi socket in front too. In-house build quality and audio quality seem very close to each other. But is 400 euros more reasonable and justified for the 4700? I keep my amps for a very long time, so it's a long term investment.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, I am somewhat in the same situation. I will soon acquire a 3700 or 4700 but the price difference is 400 euros. The 4700 has a little more power (which might be useful when I go on 5.1.4, currently 5.1). The dual display is also very practical, the hidden buttons a plus, and the hdmi socket in front too. In-house build quality and audio quality seem very close to each other. But is 400 euros more reasonable and justified for the 4700? I keep my amps for a very long time, so it's a long term investment.

I wouldn't worry about the power output difference because between the rated 125 W and 105 W, in dB it is less than 1. If you go by ASR's measurements the difference between the two would be less than 0.5 dB. That is almost not noticeable. So if the 3700 has all the features you need, then why spend 400 Euros more?

applejax

Have you checked JD's post for the differences between the models? There's more than what's usually advertised:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/official-2020-denon-avr-owners-thread-faq-posts-1-8.3151088/

A snippet:

Hope it helps.

I have, as well as spoken to him over the phone. I have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to justify the 4700, and I can't. My point is, feature benefits increasingly diminish, however if there was a definitive difference in sound quality, even a small one, then I wouldn't hesitate.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it would be harder to justify at the X3700H's competitive price.

The decision is much easier when buying the previous year's model as a refurb. For example, paying $999 instead of $1699.

Obiden

X3700 is a great machine my first Denon my previous avr Onkyo 696 had a better interface. The bass in Denon is tight & solid.

Atlantis089

I wouldn't worry about the power output difference because between the rated 125 W and 105 W, in dB it is less than 1. If you go by ASR's measurements the difference between the two would be less than 0.5 dB. That is almost not noticeable. So if the 3700 has all the features you need, then why spend 400 Euros more?

I quite agree with you. I must admit that the difference of 400 euros is difficult to justify for my use.

circumstances

Received!

Unboxing!

Disconnecting AVM20!

Connecting 3700!

Connecting MCA50 and "amp assign" to "preamp!"

Running Audyssey!

Having lots of fun so far. Everything very smooth and easy.

I have my cable box (TiVo) set to "auto (up to 1080p60)" for video output.

When I hit "info" on the Denon it displays "input 1080p60, output 1080p60."

There is no way the TiVo is sending the 3700 a 1080p60 signal. I'm just watching normal tv. What am I doing wrong?

I'd also like to compare the tv upscaling the 1080i (or 720p) signal I'm actually getting, versus the Denon upscaling it to 1080p and sending that to my display, once we figure out the settings (I'm not seeing how to select output resolutions).

circumstances

Received!

Unboxing!

Disconnecting AVM20!

Connecting 3700!

Connecting MCA50 and "amp assign" to "preamp!"

Running Audyssey!

Having lots of fun so far. Everything very smooth and easy.

I have my cable box (TiVo) set to "auto (up to 1080p60)" for video output.

When I hit "info" on the Denon it displays "input 1080p60, output 1080p60."

There is no way the TiVo is sending the 3700 a 1080p60 signal. I'm just watching normal tv. What am I doing wrong?

I'd also like to compare the tv upscaling the 1080i (or 720p) signal I'm actually getting, versus the Denon upscaling it to 1080p and sending that to my display, once we figure out the settings (I'm not seeing how to select output resolutions).

I figured out the first issue.

The "auto(up to 1080p60)" setting on my TiVo means that it upscales everything to 1080p60 before sending it to the AVR!

That's why the Denon was showing a 1080p60 input.

I took the tivo off auto, and just checked 480, 720, 1080i, and 1080p, and now the input shows whatever the channel is actually broadcasting, and outputting 1080p60 to my displays.

Looks better!

How would I adjust it to pass the incoming signal (720p, 1080i whatever) untouched, so I can see how it looks with the TV doing the upscaling (just to compare)?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How would I adjust it to pass the incoming signal (720p, 1080i whatever) untouched, so I can see how it looks with the TV doing the upscaling (just to compare)?

Just set i/p scaler to "Off".

circumstances

The "Dsur" indicates that the Dolby upmixer is being used. If the audio is TrueHD 5.1 and you have a 7.1 or 5.1.2 (or more) system, then the Denon will upmix the audio to use all the channels. You can read more about the sound modes at http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX3700H/NA/EN/DRDZSYyrtgycpw.php

Thanks!

I just read that section of the manual.

I have just a 5.1 setup.

So there should not be any difference between DolbyTrueHD (only), and DolbyTrueHD + Dsur in my situation. Identical sound?

Zedly

Forum Donor
Right. Since you don't have more speakers than the source, the upmixer shouldn't do anything.

Top Bottom