• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

zelig

Forum Donor
You must have racked your brain for this one
OK, let me try again...

You are Denon. Everyone who wanted a 9 channel system has a 9 channel system. What do you do? Close shop? Make stuffed animals instead? No. You create 11 channel systems and prime the market to upgrade.

Starting with mono, thru stereo, 5.1, 7.1, 7.2, 5.4.2, ... the law of "diminishing return" applies. People pay more for less, but they do it anyway because what else are they going to do with their money?

Maybe the question you should be asking is "Why would I want 11 channels?". The answer to that is probably "I wouldn't".

Obiden

OK, let me try again...

You are Denon. Everyone who wanted a 9 channel system has a 9 channel system. What do you do? Close shop? Make stuffed animals instead? No. You create 11 channel systems and prime the market to upgrade.

Starting with mono, thru stereo, 5.1, 7.1, 7.2, 5.4.2, ... the law of "diminishing return" applies. People pay more for less, but they do it anyway because what else are they going to do with their money?

Maybe the question you should be asking is "Why would I want 11 channels?". The answer to that is probably "I wouldn't".
Wow, the house-arrest got you super crazy. You need to claim down get out and get some fresh air

zelig

Forum Donor
Wow, the house-arrest got you super crazy. You need to claim down get out and get some fresh air
Fresh air is overrated. :p

Seriously though, IMO there really isn't a lot of benefit above a 3.x system. The other channels are fluff, driven by industry.

Last edited:

Obiden

Seriously though, IMO there really isn't a lot of benefit above a 3.x system. The other channels are fluff, driven by industry.
Five is my limit and fewer boxes gets limited negging

shellback

Audio Company

Out of curiosity, have you heard a good soundtrack or special effects movie with Atmos?

Going from 5.1 to 5.1.4 was a huge leap in my opinion.

I moved from the X4200 to the X3700 and have no regrets. Great AVR based on a few weeks experience with it.

rccarguy

Because they can't afford 13 channels.

I can and have amplifiers for 15 channels, bit I don't want my living room to have speakers all over the place. 7.2 is plenty for me, any more and it looks stupid..and I have a big room

And I'm a single guy who is into audio.

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Seriously though, IMO there really isn't a lot of benefit above a 3.x system.
If the surround system/room is setup completely improperly, and or with poor content, true.
If setup properly, with properly mastered content, absolutely untrue. The difference in immersion for surround movie content is huge and easily discerned (especially if you A/B between them).

zelig

Forum Donor
Out of curiosity, have you heard a good soundtrack or special effects movie with Atmos
No. I have a sneaking suspicion you are right but I dont want to know. I can't afford to know. I don't have the budget or the space so I prefer to live in ignorance. Please take pity on me and don't persuade me otherwise. ;)

Coleundrum

Hello everyone, have you ever tested the bi-amp function to power front column speakers? Does this mode bring an improvement? Or there may be a post that already discusses the subject? Thanks !

Last edited:

doodlebro

Amir, are you offering any help to D&M getting their receiver line-up cleaned up, or are they doing this all on their own? Impressive to see such a quick response from them regardless. If their receivers ever get DIRAC, I may end up switching back on my next upgrade.

Obiden

Amir, are you offering any help to D&M getting their receiver line-up cleaned up, or are they doing this all on their own? Impressive to see such a quick response from them regardless. If their receivers ever get DIRAC, I may end up switching back on my next upgrade.
Didn't know he's a miracle worker. Denon has a licensing agreement with Audyssey RC, not Dirac

Last edited:

taw3210

Amir, you write the best quality reviews anywhere. I’m replacing a Marantz SR5008 that has given me fits with occasional squealing the past year. No change in wiring or setup. I’ve concluded that it’s an internal AVR issue. Probably a capacitor or something simple if there was still such a thing as an electronics repair shop.

After reading several of your reviews, it seems that the absolute best deal in the $1000 to $3000 (maybe higher) range is the Denon X3600 or X3700. Maybe I missed another review? Is there anything else in that price range that delivers such audio quality? If not, then the question is X3600 or X3700? You raved about the X3600. And while your review of the X3700 was good, it seems that you think the prior model delivered better sound. So if you had to pick between the two, which would you buy? Thanks.

Top Bottom