• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Expanse Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 12 3.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 66 17.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 281 76.2%

• Total voters

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your reply.
As I said. I want to archive this „(close to Harman target for speakers) „ curve he mentioned.
Is there any recommend eq setting for a flat room to change it into this „(close to Harman target for speakers)“

Thanks
I am not 100% sure what @NMixes means, but do you want to EQ your speakers or your headphones? The Neumann Alignment tool is only for speakers. If that´s what you mean, maybe this helps (see the video-description, too):

Although, personally in my room i like the target curve that is automatically calculated by the Neumann-software better than the "Harman curve". The Harman curve for speakers is an empirical result from measuring flat speakers in rooms (AFAIK), not a "target" for every room or every situation. The closer you are to the speakers, the "flatter" the curve should be. I suggest you just use the Neumann curve and adjust the slope to taste if you don´t like it. But this is off topic.

If you want to EQ the headphones, you can´t use the Neumann-software for this.

babar

Forum Donor

babar

Forum Donor
The c9 device is GBP 1599.
Is there something cheaper but good quality which can amplify the sound coming from the RS8?

Not cheap per se but hoping not to babe to fork out almost 6k

Also what is a good amp under 500 ?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The c9 device is GBP 1599.
Is there something cheaper but good quality which can amplify the sound coming from the RS8?

Not cheap per se but hoping not to babe to fork out almost 6k

Also what is a good amp under 500 ?
C'mon, stop it now! :p

I am not 100% sure what @NMixes means, but do you want to EQ your speakers or your headphones? The Neumann Alignment tool is only for speakers. If that´s what you mean, maybe this helps (see the video-description, too):

Although, personally in my room i like the target curve that is automatically calculated by the Neumann-software better than the "Harman curve". The Harman curve for speakers is an empirical result from measuring flat speakers in rooms (AFAIK), not a "target" for every room or every situation. The closer you are to the speakers, the "flatter" the curve should be. I suggest you just use the Neumann curve and adjust the slope to taste if you don´t like it. But this is off topic.

Thanks buddy, if you need any help or advice how to calibrate your studio, headphones or how to build a flat room, feel free to ask me. I am happy to help you.

All I was looking for was an answer from @NMixes about the curves he used for his studio speakers and his LCD-x.

babar

Forum Donor
C'mon, stop it now! :p
Lol. is there an easy way to measure the output of an amp without doing math? Say looking at SNR or something.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lol. is there an easy way to measure the output of an amp without doing math? Say looking at SNR or something.
You've already been given loads of good information in this thread on how to choose an amp for this headphone, no need to keep clogging it up with more posts.

babar

Forum Donor
You've already been given loads of good information in this thread on how to choose an amp for this headphone, no need to keep clogging it up with more posts.
thanks so much for your help all.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
thanks so much for your help all.
Have a look at the following search links I did for you so you can look at various headphone amp reviews that have been done here, if you need to get some more inspiration:
Mostly dedicated headphone amp reviews:
Mostly DAC/headphone amp combo reviews (devices that are both a DAC & amp):

babar

Forum Donor
Have a look at the following search links I did for you so you can look at various headphone amp reviews that have been done here, if you need to get some more inspiration:
Mostly dedicated headphone amp reviews:
Mostly DAC/headphone amp combo reviews (devices that are both a DAC & amp):
Thanks so much. I'm eyeing the topping A90D which will be 25% off on shenzen audio’s website in 15hours. I listened to the Expanse on a t+a ha200 which packed a great low end albeit at GBP5,500. Just hope I can get that punch.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks so much. I'm eyeing the topping A90D which will be 25% off on shenzen audio’s website in 15hours. I listened to the Expanse on a t+a ha200 which packed a great low end albeit at GBP5,500. Just hope I can get that punch.
Im not sure there is a punch/ price correlation.

babar

Forum Donor
Aaaargh. I thought by going with something powerful i’d get some of that. I presume I can eq some of that given this amp sends the signal thru unlike a dac where I lose the eq from my rs8

NMixes

Thanks buddy, if you need any help or advice how to calibrate your studio, headphones or how to build a flat room, feel free to ask me. I am happy to help you.

All I was looking for was an answer from @NMixes about the curves he used for his studio speakers and his LCD-x.

For headphones I use the Harman AE/OE 2018 target and adjust the highs by ear a little bit, for speakers, my In-room response measured with rew, looks like this:

Screen_Shot_2023-05-22_at_3.03.52_p.m..png

For headphones I'm using the EQ on my interface (Avid MTRX Studio) for speakers I'm using Audiolense

NMixes

Hi @NMixes , i am working in a well treated studio. May I ask you where can I find that curve that you mention? (close to Harman target for speakers)
I just used the Oratory1990 eq settings for my pre 2021 LCD-X. And I am so happy with the result. Is that what you done eq wise to your LCD-X?
I got 2 x Neumann KH310 + KH750DSP and 2x Genelec 1038 wall mounted.
I just try to set this up in my Neumann Alignment tool but I don't know where to find more information about it. Thanks!
Also would be great if you can share your LCD-X EQ that you use, if it is not the one from Oratory1990.
Sorry, I just read this

Yes I use the Oratory EQ for the LCD-X as a starting point, from there I adjust the treble to sound as close as possible to how my speakers sound in the room.

For the Neumann Monitor alignment tool, that same target that oratory uses wouldn't work, as raw data targets (what you se Amir use here, or oratory in his pdf's) wont match the expected in room response for speakers.

What I mean by Harman target for speakers is kind of a low boost with a downward slope on the treble area, something similar to the graph in my previous post.

I'm not sure if the Neumann Alignment tool, has some sort of compensation or is showing raw data of the measurements, but I would recommend measuring with REW after running the tool, to see if the graphs are real. Maybe someone with more experience with the Neumann tool can chime in.

babar

Forum Donor
As I’m about to place the order for the topping D90 Discrete I came across the topping A70 PRO headphone amplifier. The price difference is not much.

Which is better suited to the Expanse? Thanks so much. I really appreciate your patience in helping me. I hope this will be the last question. muchas gracias .

As an update, I have tried to enjoy the Expanse using the rs8 and the blue node x but just not feeling the low end and generally it’s not sounding good for me ears.

Sorry, I just read this

Yes I use the Oratory EQ for the LCD-X as a starting point, from there I adjust the treble to sound as close as possible to how my speakers sound in the room.

For the Neumann Monitor alignment tool, that same target that oratory uses wouldn't work, as raw data targets (what you se Amir use here, or oratory in his pdf's) wont match the expected in room response for speakers.

What I mean by Harman target for speakers is kind of a low boost with a downward slope on the treble area, something similar to the graph in my previous post.

I'm not sure if the Neumann Alignment tool, has some sort of compensation or is showing raw data of the measurements, but I would recommend measuring with REW after running the tool, to see if the graphs are real. Maybe someone with more experience with the Neumann tool can chime in.
Thanks buddy

babar

Forum Donor
any recommendations for a headphone stand for the DCA EXPANSE?

babar

Forum Donor
thanks. that's a very good point. forgot about that. I have my 109 Pro's on the same. will remove them.
how do you store your Expanse?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just hang it from the nitinol wires instead of the padded headband. Probably find one that rubberized or something to prevent scratches and keep it from sliding off too easily.

Top Bottom