• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Expanse Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 12 3.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 65 17.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 281 76.4%

• Total voters

staticV3

Master Contributor
Yes, sorry, just fixed it in my post. Thanks for catching that.
Out of the box, the Aeon 2 Open looks rather poor with that enormous midbass hump and the unfortunate treble peak at 6kHz:
Screenshot_20230419-032001_Drive.png
source

Though I'd love to see what the Perforated ear pads of the Aeon 2 Noire do to the response of the Aeon 2 Open.

gabo4au

Out of the box, the Aeon 2 Open looks rather poor with that enormous midbass hump and the unfortunate treble peak at 6kHz:
View attachment 280134
source

Though I'd love to see what the Perforated ear pads of the Aeon 2 Noire do to the response of the Aeon 2 Open.

Indeed, but a boost there means your EQ would all be "cut EQ" which means you won't have any problems doing it and you won't create any THD.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As a person who spends hours every day on headphones, mixing/recording/enjoying music, I seriously want a pair of these. And I prefer open headphones so the next best option would be the Aeon 2 open, which isn't a bad choice either. Maybe I'll get the Aeon 2 open and then start saving for the Expanse.

Kudos to Dan Clark, he's spent a lifetime perfecting these cans.
DCA Open X looks more correctable in the treble though, so might be a better choice:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting, isn't that an older version? I don't see it on their web site.
Similar but not (maybe ?) the same as the Aeon RT Open that is sold on the DCA site. As Static says the "X" units are Drop collabs/ exclusives

Grobbelboy

Oratory has made a EQ profile for this a couple of weeks ago, posted here.

I need to spend some more time with it but so far I think the adjustments work very well and indeed do improve upon the out-of-the-box tuning.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oratory has made a EQ profile for this a couple of weeks ago, posted here.

I need to spend some more time with it but so far I think the adjustments work very well and indeed do improve upon the out-of-the-box tuning.
The peak at 12000Hz worries me a bit, because he boosts that whole area with a High Shelf too, so that 12000Hz peak does end up being higher than most headphones & EQ's in that area.....of course I don't have the headphone so I can't comment on how that sounds, just that decision to boost that area worries me a bit.

EDIT: instead, I think I would have used a Peak Filter at 8000Hz with about Q1.5 too boost that area up whilst leaving the above 10000Hz area as the headphone is at stock (ie not boosting the 12000Hz peak at all).

NovaInfinity

Has anyone tried these with the Monoprice 887? Looking at the specs it should be able to drive these pretty handily, but you never know sometimes if it pairs well.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So what, just get it and take the restocking fee if it doesn't sound good?
If I told you it will pair perfectly, how does that help you in this eventuality?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So what, just get it and take the restocking fee if it doesn't sound good?
Do you expect something like this can happen ?

The amp is specified 16 ohms: 8800mW <1% THD so will have no issues driving 23ohm and can deliver almost 8W..
With 97dB/V and 13.5V available you can reach 119dB peak SPL, even 124dB in the bass which is enough to drive the headphone to impressively loud levels.

The 'synergy' thing does not exist with this amp/headphone combination.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I guess it would likely need to be in a way where it's either too much effort or not that useful to me. Is that the correct answer?
As a few of us are trying to tell you..

Assuming the amp isnt broken it will be more than capable of driving the Expanse. If you dont like the sound coming out of it, either it is broken, your music is actually crap or you don't like the tuning of the headphone (in which case EQ to the rescue).

Some random person on the internet telling you it "pairs well" or has "synergy" has zero bearing on anything, including whether your ears actually like the end result.

Last edited:

NovaInfinity

As a few of us are trying to tell you..

Assuming the amp isnt broken it will be more than capable of driving the Expanse. If you dont like the sound coming out of it, either it is broken, your music is actually crap or you don't like the tuning of the headphone (in which case EQ to the rescue).

Some random person on the internet telling you it "pairs well" or has "synergy" has zero bearing on anything, including whether your ears actually like the end result.
I was more so asking for sound characteristics like most reviews you see. But if it just boils down to "just EQ if you don't like it" then sure.

Top Bottom