• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark E3 Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 32 15.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 162 77.1%

• Total voters

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What? Snippets you quoted confused me even more. How come Amir says he did not try to match channels and Maiky76 calculated great L/R match?
Amir's only posting one measurement, not an average after doing a number of reseats, so it's hard to get a pinpoint accurate assessment of channel matching using that approach. I'm fairly certain Maiky just looks at the graph and gives a subjective assessment of how good the channel matching is, I don't think he's calculating channel matching (but I might be wrong), we'll have to hear from him if we're wrong about that.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
YMMV due to the oils in your skin amd climate. Some people have more acidic skin oil, with that and high humidity and heavy use I’d expect pads to last at least two years. I live in San Diego and have pads that have lasted over five years. That said once the foam starts to feel or look different it’s time to replace.
Sounds like it'd last over 2 yrs for me then.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Average per day is about 3-4 hours, with weekends getting more time. Mind you, I do workout with them on, so this is not the fault of Dan Clark.
Could you just tally up a ballpark estimate of how long those pads lasted you in hours? So for you it'd be something like (3.5x5 + 5x2(for your weekend)) x number of weeks it lasted.

EDIT: you said they lasted 2 yrs, so that's 104 weeks, so that'd be something like (3.5x5 +5x2(for your weekend)) x 104 = 2806 hours. Does that seem about right for a calculation representing your usage?

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have a general question. How would a headphone like this compare to another one that doesn't measure as well out of the box but can be EQed effectively close to the Harman target?
If you are happy with other aspects of that headphone, I would stay with it with one caveat: that your EQ works for everything. In my case, my EQ is in the Roon player so when I go in the browser and watch a youtube, it is no longer effective. So for me, have an out of box correct response is a definitely value add.

F1308

Major Contributor
Thanks to all answering my question...

This one also seems to have one....

Frequency Response
3-112,000 Hz

:)

Chagall

Forum Donor
If you are happy with other aspects of that headphone, I would stay with it with one caveat: that your EQ works for everything. In my case, my EQ is in the Roon player so when I go in the browser and watch a youtube, it is no longer effective. So for me, have an out of box correct response is a definitely value add.

Even that's a non issue. EQ in Roon for music, Peace EQ for everything else (windows). When in Roon and using wasapi, system wide eq is disabled automatically.

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'd imagine Dan Clark would say that the "Metamaterial Tuning" will make the above 10kHz smoother than your Aeon 2 Noire - and that's not something you can fix with EQ. I'm fairly confident you wouldn't be able to get your Aeon 2 Noire to sound exactly like an E3.
I never said that I can or even want to make sound one exactly like the another, but I have pretty good idea what to expect from E3

Salt

Forum Donor
Tempting, but they seem very hard to drive, I suspect that my RME ADI-2 is not powerful enough, then I wonder if the problems with the pads they had on previous models still remain.
OT complaint, as the RME is beyond of any doubt to be able driving almost every HP out there, and discussing pads as they're as new as headphone is irrelevant.

NoteMakoti

I loved the Stealth, but I could never see myself spending $4k on a headphone. This is at least closer to reality for me. Something I can maybe dream about one day.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Tempting, but they seem very hard to drive, I suspect that my RME ADI-2 is not powerful enough, then I wonder if the problems with the pads they had on previous models still remain.
I used my RME ADI-2 Pro for all of my listening tests. It is capable enough to drive it.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I never said that I can or even want to make sound one exactly like the another, but I have pretty good idea what to expect from E3
Maybe or maybe not, about as much as EQ'ing any headphone to the Harman Curve - which means you can get some large differences in resultant sound. The Noire does not have the same "chassis" as the E3, it's not the same earcup design, so it provides more scope for differences in sound even when EQ'd to the same Target. In contrast, if you took an HD650 and an HD600 and EQ'd them to the same curve then there's a good chance they would sound very similar because they're based on the same earcup design so the only variables of difference would be unit to unit variation which provides uncertainty re the measurements you find on the internet that you use to EQ to a target. However with your Noire you have the different cup design along with the unit to unit variation. And I already mentioned the above "metamaterial tuning system" of the E3 which the Noire doesn't have, thereby supposedly making a smoother treble sound in the E3 probably around 8kHz up where measurements/EQ can't really help you. So it's quite possible you don't have a good idea of what the E3 would be like by EQ'ing your Noire to the same response of the E3.

Last edited:

Chagall

Forum Donor
I just watched a review on these, the reviewer went all out, chord mojo and mscaler changed the amount of detail and the depth of the soundtage, then using an aftermarket cable made the separation between frequencies more precise.

I can only hope that that is an elaborate plan to rustle the jimmies of people and promote engagement through the coment section, because otherwise, my god...

I like the not so subtle dig at chinese amplifiers....they can power it, but with not much detail :)
Reluctance to even mention anything else then chord or schiit and the aftermarket cable fantasy, shows his hand clearly.

Chord and Schiit have good products, but even being in that cringe review makes me exclude them from purchasing decisions.

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
Maybe or maybe not, about as much as EQ'ing any headphone to the Harman Curve - which means you can get some large differences in resultant sound.
Again, who said about any headphones? I am talking about the same company with same transducer technology, all closed back planar magnetic with similar target curve. E3 uses some of the Stealth technology and I know this model, which I already mentioned but you're ignored that. It's even mentioned in the original post that they're rather similar, just brighter (which I welcome). I'm really not sure what you're trying to say here, but let's leave it at that, you're stuck in an imaginary loop of things that you think I've said, but I never did. Your next reply just proved it again.

Last edited:

oceansize

Forum Donor
I like the not so subtle dig at chinese amplifiers....they can power it, but with not much detail :)
Reluctance to even mention anything else then chord or schiit and the aftermarket cable fantasy, shows his hand clearly.

Chord and Schiit have good products, but even being in that cringe review makes me exclude them from purchasing decisions.
Lol. Silly.

cheapmessiah

I'm actually conflicted by the fact that these kinds of people get review units directly from manufacturers, I understand that running a business and maximizing profit not always go hand in hand with honesty, such is life, but I find it impossible to not frown uppon companies that associate with these chalatans.

oceansize

Forum Donor
I'm actually conflicted by the fact that these kinds of people get review units directly from manufacturers, I understand that running a business and maximizing profit not always go hand in hand with honesty, such is life, but I find it impossible to not frown uppon companies that associate with these chalatans.
You mean like Amir got these headphones direct from Dan Clark? It is an essential part of marketing to get your products out to reviewers that will give you good reviews. At least on ASR, there are the numbers to back up any hyperbole and thus you tend to think that Amir is an honest reviewer.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Again, who said about any headphones? I am talking about the same company with same transducer technology, all closed back planar magnetic with similar target curve. E3 uses some of the Stealth technology and I know this model, which I already mentioned but you're ignored that. It's even mentioned in the original post that they're rather similar, just brighter (which I welcome). I'm really not sure what you're trying to prove here, but let's leave it at that
Nope, they're not gonna sound the same.

Chagall

Forum Donor
Lol. Silly.

That was a bit hyperbolic from me...but when you see a literal wall of schiit in every frame of his review something is wrong.
With Amir YT review is usually just the product on review and Audio precision...makes sense:)

cheapmessiah

You mean like Amir got these headphones direct from Dan Clark? It is an essential part of marketing to get your products out to reviewers that will give you good reviews. At least on ASR, there are the numbers to back up any hyperbole and thus you tend to think that Amir is an honest reviewer.

Associating with reviewers is one thing, associating with those that incur in unethical behaviour is another, specially when they are known bad actors.

Top Bottom