• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90D , SPL Phonitor XE, Topping A70 Pro upgrade ideas

Stephen1457

Hi I am New For the Forum, just a little bit discuss and idea for my upgrade plan.
I do have A90D, i wanna upgrade my Headphone Amplifier (Mostly using Single End Headphone), I just looking for SPL Phonitor XE and Topping A70 Pro.
Did These 2 Amplifier better than A90D? or just keep using for A90D better?

Sorry, i was missing to information my gears. Using ADI-2 DAC with DT 990 600ohms, MDR-Z1R, Gold Planar G2000 and Hifiman HE400SE.
Will planning to buy a new headphone such as Hifiman Susvara / Utopia 2022 / Dan Clark E3.

Thanks for you guys.

Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got an A90d and last week got in an A70 Pro and they sound so identical you'd never know which in a blind test that's volume matched. Virtually anything will be a side grade unless you want to get into tube amps.
You've got an amp with no audible distortion so it's a matter of you want something different or not.

LakeOfThaWyld

What’s your budget? Violectric or Lake People amps might be what you’re looking for. Lake People is cheaper, but geared toward studio use. Violectric tends to be more refined, but plenty detailed. the v202 is $999 and should fit your needs. The Lake People g111 mk2 might also work, but could be more of a side grade.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Hi I am New For the Forum, just a little bit discuss and idea for my upgrade plan.
I do have A90D, i wanna upgrade my Headphone Amplifier (Mostly using Single End Headphone), I just looking for SPL Phonitor XE and Topping A70 Pro.

Sorry, i was missing to information my gears. Using ADI-2 DAC with DT 990 600ohms, MDR-Z1R, Gold Planar G2000 and Hifiman HE400SE.
Will planning to buy a new headphone such as Hifiman Susvara / Utopia 2022 / Dan Clark E3.

Thanks for you guys.
I don't think you would gain anything by trading your A90D for another device.
My work tool has been a Violectric V100 for 10 years and has remained the same despite brief guest appearances by the V200 and V281. I also have the Singxer SA-1 and SMSL SP400, and a few smaller devices like Topping L50, Sabaj A20h, etc.
I already had the A90/D and A70 Pro here and the sound differences between all devices are marginal at best and definitely not suitable for a blind test.

I've heard a number of devices at various events over the last few years (up to around 10K) and the only thing that made a lasting impression on me was the Violectric Niimbus 4+ with volume control via relay.
If you're looking for an upgrade and are willing to spend that much money, listen to this device somewhere with your own headphones, preferably with your RME ADI-2 DAC.
Otherwise, it's better to leave it alone

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thanks for you guys.
I think the A70 Pro is a little more powerful than the A90 D, it was also $100 cheaper which is why I bought it. Seems like it is completely transparent and will power everything I have, but I suspect if you already have the A90D, you are in no need of an upgrade. And I don't even know how anything could in any meaningful way be considered one, not even the mighty A70 Pro.

Also consider you could buy both the E3 and a Sennheiser HD 800S for somewhat more than half the price of a Susvara. I think that might be a better road. Don't sleep on the HD 800 S, every serious headphone collection should have it, I think.

And learn about EQ to get the most out of your phones. Even the best phones will need it to sound best to you.

Last edited:

zhgutov

I've heard a number of devices at various events over the last few years (up to around 10K) and the only thing that made a lasting impression on me was the Violectric Niimbus 4+ with volume control via relay.
Yep, I had side by side comparison of Topping A90D and Niimbus US 5 using Audeze LCD-3.
Niimbus made unexpectedly good impression on me.
It's like you listen to the same sound, everything is here, but so easily delivered.
I can rest on it's sound. But this thing costs a lot :)

Top Bottom