• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi, I just bought these headphones and to be honest I don't feel it so exciting but I don't know if the reason is just they need a more power, I'm driving them with a Hidizs S9 Pro with the unbalaced output and I feel they are lack of dynamics and bass, my question is if is necessary another more powerful dac or is just the headphones and I don't like them cuz they sound dead for me

I bought them, thought exactly the same thing, and I powered them with with an A50S at the time, which produces far more power than the Hidizs S9 Pro (Which I also have) but I returned them for the reasons you mentioned. However it still maybe worth exploring a more powerful amp, I can send you a Liquid Spark for really cheap that would blow away your dongle dac.

I have compared them to a few other closed backs, including Focal Elegia, LCD-2C and Austrian Audio Hi-X60, and found them all more satisfying than the Aeon RT Closed, and no amount of EQ would change that.

Edit: Do you wear glasses? these are known to have seal issues with eyewear.

Last edited:

Galke6

Are you using parametric equalization? It make a big improvement that is very noticeable.
Per the S9 Pro>
- Powerful Drive Ability. 200mW BAL / 100mW SE
Yeah I did a PEQ with Peace and sounds more enjoyable but the sound still without having life or in tecnic words a lack of bass or some space effects

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I did a PEQ with Peace and sounds more enjoyable but the sound still without having life or in tecnic words a lack of bass or some space effects
If me I would run a more powerful amp and I do like my music loud.
But: Start that new thread. Before the MODs have to move alll this stuff over to a new thread.

Galke6

Btw I'll give them a chance cuz I think they have a different way to listen the music

PeteL

Major Contributor
If me I would run a more powerful amp and I do like my music loud.
But: Start that new thread. Before the MODs have to move alll this stuff over to a new thread.
Why? He just purchased the reviewed headphone and is wondering how to improve it's performance. How is it not relevant to share how his headphone perform, in his setting that's what we're interested in no? What's the purpose of a thread like this? Simply repeat what is said in the review?

JanesJr1

Hi, I just bought these headphones and to be honest I don't feel it so exciting but I don't know if the reason is just they need a more power, I'm driving them with a Hidizs S9 Pro with the unbalaced output and I feel they are lack of dynamics and bass, my question is if is necessary another more powerful dac or is just the headphones and I don't like them cuz they sound dead for me
Hi, with the S9 Pro try a balanced connection, that will significantly increase the power output. (But it will cost something...) Also, DCA phones are more sensitive than most to a snug fit in order to provide full bass. This is generally true of closed back phones, but the high "resonance frequency" of the DCA headphone increases the bass sensitivity.

With a balanced connection and always a snug fit (due, I guess to the shape of my head), the Noire shivers my timbers when the music asks for it. I have another dongle, the E1DA 9038s G3, that also works well and has high current delivery (balanced only, unlike the Hidizs).

I like my Hart Audio balanced headphone cable, and as these things go, they're not as expensive as some. The DCA's have a specialized connector where the cable joins each ear cup that I like a lot, but that is not that common ... Hart has them: https://hartaudiocables.com/collect...ush-pull-mr-speakers-balanced-headphone-cable (Be sure to match your source connector as well.) I guess you can go on AliExpress.com and maybe find some cheaper ones if you're lucky, but if so, you may have to wait for delivery from China.

[If you go this route, AND you want the same balanced headphone cable to connect to BOTH a dongle (2.5mm TRRS) and also to a desktop (whatever fits), Hart cables can save you some hassle and maybe some money b/c they use a modular approach, so that you can have the Hirose connectors to the headphones above the split, and a swappable connector at the other end (one for dongle, one for desktop). I needed a 2.5mm TRRS to 7mm TRRS adapter otherwise, and THAT is a scarce item that I could buy only from one vendor in China. You have to pay either way (adapter or modular cable connector), but Hart can be either Plan A or Plan B.}

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why? He just purchased the reviewed headphone and is wondering how to improve it's performance. How is it not relevant to share how his headphone perform, in his setting that's what we're interested in no? What's the purpose of a thread like this? Simply repeat what is said in the review?
It is a fine line this determining the relevancy stuff. :D I interpreted it as, "He is interested in amplifier power requirements for a specific amp model." It will be interesting to see the MODs response. :D

Galke6

Hi, with the S9 Pro try a balanced connection, that will significantly increase the power output. (But it will cost something...) Also, DCA phones are more sensitive than most to a snug fit in order to provide full bass. This is generally true of closed back phones, but the high "resonance frequency" of the DCA headphone increases the bass sensitivity.

With a balanced connection and always a snug fit (due, I guess to the shape of my head), the Noire shivers my timbers when the music asks for it. I have another dongle, the E1DA 9038s G3, that also works well and has high current delivery (balanced only, unlike the Hidizs).

I like my Hart Audio balanced headphone cable, and as these things go, they're not as expensive as some. The DCA's have a specialized connector where the cable joins each ear cup that I like a lot, but that is not that common ... Hart has them: https://hartaudiocables.com/collect...ush-pull-mr-speakers-balanced-headphone-cable (Be sure to match your source connector as well.) I guess you can go on AliExpress.com and maybe find some cheaper ones if you're lucky, but if so, you may have to wait for delivery from China.
Where I can buy a balanced cable for my Aeons? I think it's expensive so maybe pick a dac/amp like DX3 Pro should be a better idea

JanesJr1

Where I can buy a balanced cable for my Aeons? I think it's expensive so maybe pick a dac/amp like DX3 Pro should be a better idea
See my last post, 2 items up. The Aeon and Aeon 2 headphones all need the special "Hirose" connector. I know that Hart makes DCA compatible cables and I like mine; maybe someone else does, too.

pk500

The Hidzis S9 Pro has 100 mW at 32 ohm, which is only a tenth of a watt. That's not much power, especially for planars. When I owned the DCA Aeon 2 Noire, I drove them from a JDS Labs Atom+ desktop amp, which has 1 watt (1,000 mW) at 32 ohm.

Another thing to know about the DCA Aeon cans -- dynamics are not their specialty. You're not going to get Focal level of detail with this model.

I always thought of the DCA Aeons as a planar HD 6XX. Nice mids and solid bass, with a very relaxing, easy-to-listen sound with decent dynamics and rolled-off treble. But if you're looking to find every microscopic detail of the music, these aren't your cans.

One other tip: Remove the white or black cotton-like filters from the earcups if this model comes with them. I never understood the point of placing a cloth or synthetic-material muffler on the inside of the cup by design. Of course, that will neuter detail.

Galke6

The Hidzis S9 Pro has 100 mW at 32 ohm, which is only a tenth of a watt. That's not much power, especially for planars. When I owned the DCA Aeon 2 Noire, I drove them from a JDS Labs Atom+ desktop amp, which has 1 watt (1,000 mW) at 32 ohm.

Another thing to know about the DCA Aeon cans -- dynamics are not their specialty. You're not going to get Focal level of detail with this model.

I always thought of the DCA Aeons as a planar HD 6XX. Nice mids and solid bass, with a very relaxing, easy-to-listen sound with decent dynamics and rolled-off treble. But if you're looking to find every microscopic detail of the music, these aren't your cans.

One other tip: Remove the white or black cotton-like filters from the earcups if this model comes with them. I never understood the point of placing a cloth or synthetic-material muffler on the inside of the cup by design. Of course, that will neuter detail.
Any good closed back headphone with good details and nice dynamics?

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I disagree with this completely at least with the Drop X Open version (not the RT). My Aeon X Open slams and hits like a truck with deep bass vibration sensations at over 100 dB SPL and is more detailed than the Focal Clear original and arguably on par with Utopia 2020. Focal Clear original has wimpy dynamics and sound muffled to me. Utopia 2020 is the only Focal headphone that reminded me of the dynamics, detail perception and top end extension of the Aeon X Open

pk500

Focal Elegia. $299 at Adorama (only available for shipping in the U.S.) Originally retailed at $900.

Funky mid-range tuning that can be fixed with EQ. But some love Elegia right out of the box. I needed some EQ. Very good detail and solid soundstage for a closed-back.

Galke6

After some hours of listening I think these headphones are very good but for some reason I can't still listen the bass, is weird for some reason, I'm not using any pads so the black or white can make a difference?

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After some hours of listening I think these headphones are very good but for some reason I can't still listen the bass, is weird for some reason, I'm not using any pads so the black or white can make a difference?
Probably not. The bass is there as measurements and many, many people (including me) say.

So, defective unit or you are used to hugely boosted midbass aka Beats.

JanesJr1

run them balanced. I have the atom as well as a more powerful topping Amp that I run balanced, and the. s9 pro and e1da running balanced sound the same at normal volumes. also check the fit as noted above; it almost always comes up as the biggest reason for variability in the experiences of dca users...

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Austrian Audio Hi-X60 ?
Just don't expect Harman tonalty

A Crabb

Forum Donor
You are not the only one to describe these headphones this way. They can hit low, but in a more dampened, blunted or diffused way. I think that sound is inherent to this proprietary driver. They also have extremely low distortion, so you can EQ the heck out of them, but, to get the bass levels that will satisfy you, you will need a lot of power. Balanced is not necessary, but it will make it easier to get the power you need. I made my own cable by purchasing hirose connectors off of Amazon (those connectors are more expensive in general). Truthfully, when I am craving bass, I am less likely to reach for these headphones.

RHO

Major Contributor
I had the same issues. I stuck with them and eventually the bass came. I think it's the pads settling in, creating a better seal. It took way longer than I expected. Changing from TRS to 4.4mm pentacon didn't change a thing to the tonality. (using a Topping A50s)

Top Bottom