• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Are you guys listening at these elevated levels?
OUCH

Most people do not listen at these levels but some folks do like to crank 'em up very loud for short moments and only then such power is needed.
One should realize that music consists of many frequencies, not just a single tone played loud but many at the same time.
As all signals are 'added' you could have short peaks of say a bass note + its harmonics and some other instruments and voices where some peak at the same moment.
You would have a peak in the signal but that does not mean that loud sound. It could be comprised of many frequencies spread over various frequency bands yet the total signal should not be clipped.

Not a single person on this planet listens to continuous sine waves at these levels nor at average noise levels at these levels but peaks in music could be possible and you would need that headroom.

It is THE reason for the well known 'scaling' myth and why Amir finds he needs a lot of power to make his earlobes vibrate. That power must be clean and the DCA is notoriously inefficient/insensitive.
I would never suggest people should listen to music that loud but if one wants to (for a very short moment) crank their favorite song up very loud one needs this kind of power with this particular headphone.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I would never suggest people should listen to music that loud but if one wants to (for a very short moment) crank their favorite song up very loud one needs this kind of power with this particular headphone.
I just get tweaky when talk about those high spls comes around.
I've lost enough hearing for various reasons and at 72 I'm trying not to loss any more. ;)
Even with speakers, @RayDunzl has done some measurements on spl peaks that hide in many recordings
and the power needed to reproduce. It can get very surprising.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
For inefficient speakers in rooms yes...
Most 'regular' headphones rarely see more than 0.1W peaks when playing really loud though and on average only have just a few mW on them tops at normal listening levels.
playing 20dB louder, just like with speakers, increases the power a lot.
And... it makes a difference if the DR of a recording is just around 4 or 6 and or somewhere between 15 and 20 and one wants the peak to never even come close to clipping.
One always wants to stay away at least a few dB from hard clipping points.

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The real question is how much power until the Aeon 2 Closed RT starts to have a sound that isn't lifeless and boring?

FreaK

Hello guys,
Can someone link me the original post with the sample #2 EQ preset for the Drop Aeon Closed X? I messed around in Peace EQ, i might have changed the settings (that user interface is a crap btw.), and i can't find the post. I'm not even sure in which topic it was :)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello guys,
Can someone link me the original post with the sample #2 EQ preset for the Drop Aeon Closed X? I messed around in Peace EQ, i might have changed the settings (that user interface is a crap btw.), and i can't find the post. I'm not even sure in which topic it was :)
Hi, it's at the following link. It was me that did the EQ, from Resolve's measurement:
Use a -6.1dB Negative Preamp.

FreaK

Hi, it's at the following link. It was me that did the EQ, from Resolve's measurement:
Use a -6.1dB Negative Preamp.
Thank you very much sir!

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
Got a raise at work and my birthday coming up, so I treated myself to the Aeon RT Closed, and gotta say...absolutely love 'em. Clean and detailed, love feeling that sub-bass rumble that's present but not overbearing. Using them with the stock pad, I think the treble has a different tonality than my Thieaudio Monarch daily drivers, but I enjoy these out of the box. I'm sure I'll mess with EQ and tuning pads at some point.

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
These have become my most used phones in last couple of weeks. I have LCD-X and Ollo S5X right next to them waiting to get used, but somehow I have left them be for most of the time. I think both of them do some things objectively better, but the tuning of RTs just feels so "right" that after a couple of songs with other phones it feels nice to get back to them. Like "phew, that was nice but let's get back to just listening music". Or maybe it's the comfort, that like much better. Or that the closed construction allows me to sink into music better.

Disclaimer: I have Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads installed, bought the phones used with them already there. Can't say how they change the tuning or if they are more comfortable than stock.

bequietjk

Looking at these headphones to be a multi-use tool for music recording, live mixing and recording songs for playlists, and pretty much anything else for that matter. So there is a desired fun factor in a headphone that im looking for. For those of you that have had experience with these and/or the Aeon 2 Noire and Aeon X, what are your thoughts for these features and would you use them for those intended purpose?

$500 price point is attractive but for daily driving fun and musical playback I do not mind biting down for the $900 price point. Heck, even the Ether CX is something im considering.

JeffJ

Looking at these headphones to be a multi-use tool for music recording, live mixing and recording songs for playlists, and pretty much anything else for that matter. So there is a desired fun factor in a headphone that im looking for. For those of you that have had experience with these and/or the Aeon 2 Noire and Aeon X, what are your thoughts for these features and would you use them for those intended purpose?

$500 price point is attractive but for daily driving fun and musical playback I do not mind biting down for the $900 price point. Heck, even the Ether CX is something im considering.

Ether CX is currently on sale for $699 btw.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

These headphones need a lot of EQ to become neutral, so unless you're using EQ with them then I don't think they'd be good for the music recording & live mixing you mentioned. I don't think "fun factor" really comes into it for those purposes. Looking at the stock frequency response I can't imagine them being fun though, but they'd probably be fine after EQ. Note: these are not the same headphone as the DCA Drop Closed X, the Closed X has a better stock frequency response.

Jumbotron

They are now on sale with a 20 % discount.

mmmdc

Which website shows a 20% discount on the Dan Clark Aeon?

Galke6

Hi, I just bought these headphones and to be honest I don't feel it so exciting but I don't know if the reason is just they need a more power, I'm driving them with a Hidizs S9 Pro with the unbalaced output and I feel they are lack of dynamics and bass, my question is if is necessary another more powerful dac or is just the headphones and I don't like them cuz they sound dead for me

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I just bought these headphones and to be honest I don't feel it so exciting but I don't know if the reason is just they need a more power, I'm driving them with a Hidizs S9 Pro with the unbalaced output and I feel they are lack of dynamics and bass, my question is if is necessary another more powerful dac or is just the headphones and I don't like them cuz they sound dead for me
Are you using parametric equalization? It make a big improvement that is very noticeable.
Per the S9 Pro>
- Powerful Drive Ability. 200mW BAL / 100mW SE

Top Bottom