• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 34 19.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 78 45.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 55 31.8%

• Total voters

jdjung

Yeah, I think it's a bad idea to leave any headphone "clamped" on a headphone stand - compressing the pads the whole time will cause them to flatten & need replacement prematurely and also it means the pad is less likely to conform to your own head properly - I find that over time a headphone pad will change shape to more ideally fit the contours of your own head, but those changes would be undone if you store it on a "clamped on" headphone stand.
I agree the headphone stand on the left being bad and on the right being good.

Screenshot_20230716_074432_Chrome.jpg

Maiky76

This is a review, listening test and measurements of the Dan Clark Audio (DCA) AEON 2 Noire Planar Magnetic closed back headphone. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $850.
View attachment 296049
As soon as you touch and attempt to pick up the headphone, it immediately conveys a feeling of luxury with butter soft pads contrasting against the glossy finish. When I took off my everyday Dan Clark Stealth and put on the Noire, I felt like I had nothing on my head! It is that much lighter and so much more comfortable (although I wear my Stealth for hours).

Fitment on the GRAS measurement fixture was instant requiring almost no effort including great channel matching.

DCA AEON 2 Noire Measurements
We start with our usual frequency response measurement:
View attachment 296050
I speaking to Dan, he tens to think that hump around 100 Hz is desirable. We saw it in the Expanse headphone review. We do have some shortfall in the 2 to 4 kHz and some peaking past that. From my experience, such a deficiencies robs you of spatial qualities. Again, I think Dan thinks this brings some "breathiness" to vocals. In all, I can see his signature on this headphone, the more neutral response on the much more expensive headphones from him notwithstanding. The rough shape of the graph in the 2 to 8 kHz makes quick and dirty EQ more difficult:
View attachment 296052

EDIT: my testing was without any of the pads (filters) provided by the company. See these measurements for impact of that: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-audio-aeon-2-noire-review.46055/post-1643697

Distortion is more than I am used to seeing in DAC headphones but since we have plenty of bass, it is of less concern:
View attachment 296053
View attachment 296054

Group delay is clean above bass indicating lack of internal reflections:
View attachment 296055

Impedance is very low and flat which means your headphone amp better have good current delivery:
View attachment 296056
Combined with half the sensitive of the median headphone, I think a headphone amplifier is mandatory:
View attachment 296057

My RME ADI-2 Pro was just good enough. I could crank it to max volume at +6 dB to get loud but then I had no headroom left (i.e. ability to drive the headphone to clipping).

DCA AEON 2 Noire Listening Tests and Equalization
The first impression was actually good. There was a warm quality to the sound courtesy of good amount of bass. I didn't listen long though as I wanted to see the effect of EQ:
View attachment 296059

I started with Band 1 filter. You would think reducing bass would result in the amp being less warm. The effect paradoxically was the opposite! The highs were reduced a bit. I suspect what was happening was the reduction of harmonic distortion that was bleeding into the higher frequencies. I then dialed in filter 2. In AB testing against no EQ, it was not clear in my mind which would be better. So I pulled down the one peak, added more to lower frequencies and put that shelving filter. Now we are talking! :) The sound opened up and was no longer closed and bassy. On my reference tracks, I was amazed at the level of fidelity. Detail was superb now and of course, that wonderful bass was there to complement those highs. I wanted to keep listening but had to stop to take a picture of the headphone.

Putting my Stealth back on, it was a more balanced experience with less hyped up lower treble. So perhaps I crave more in that area as reflected in my EQ choice above. What can I say. :) Need to try that with the Stealth...

Conclusions
The Aeron 2 Noire brings expected bass response (and a bit more) but trades some loss of energy in lower treble with some peaking in upper frequencies. EQ by eye is difficult but with luck or skill, I arrived at a setting that produces just marvelous fidelity to my ear. I can imagine many being happy with the stock tuning which made it hard for me to rate it without EQ. With EQ though, it matches my taste perfectly. Combine that with its high level of comfort and luxury, and you have a winner there.

I am not going to recommend the DAC Aeron 2 Noire without EQ strictly based on my personal taste. With EQ, it more than delights me and becomes a recommendation.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Here are some thoughts about the EQ.

Notes about the EQ design:

• The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve (and other constrains) with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be therefore more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF and maybe at HF).
  • The range around and above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo, the boosts and preamp gain (loss of Dynamic range) need to be carefully considered to avoid issues with, amongst other things, too low a Max SPL or damaging your device. You have beed warned.
  • Not all units of the same product are made equal. The EQ is based on the measurements of a single unit. YMMV with regards to the very unit you are trying this EQ on.
  • I sometimes use variations of the Harman curve for some reasons. See rational here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pro-review-headphone.28244/page-5#post-989169
  • https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pro-review-headphone.28244/page-6#post-992119
  • NOTE: the score then calculated is not comparable to the scores derived from the default Harman target curve if not otherwise noted.
Good L/R match.
HF a bit ragged, EQ will be dependent fitting

I have generated two EQs, the APO config files are attached.

Score no EQ: 70.7
Score Amirm: 82.5
Score with full EQ: 97.5
Score with EQ: 90.6

Code:
DCA Aeon 2 Noire APO Score Full EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz
July172023-145752

Preamp: -5.8 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 112.70 Hz Gain -3.51 dB Q 1.80
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 265.80 Hz Gain -1.35 dB Q 3.11
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1144.77 Hz Gain -1.72 dB Q 4.04
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2011.98 Hz Gain 2.19 dB Q 1.68
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3505.70 Hz Gain 5.77 dB Q 2.85
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 5750.32 Hz Gain -5.90 dB Q 3.67
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 7345.30 Hz Gain 6.72 dB Q 5.16
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 13301.70 Hz Gain -9.65 dB Q 4.48

DCA Aeon 2 Noire APO Score EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz
July172023-150130

Preamp: -6 dB 

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 112.45 Hz Gain -3.51 dB Q 1.80
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 264.80 Hz Gain -1.35 dB Q 3.31
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1143.77 Hz Gain -1.72 dB Q 4.04
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2020.98 Hz Gain 2.24 dB Q 1.68
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3498.70 Hz Gain 5.77 dB Q 3.05
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 5595.84 Hz Gain -5.07 dB Q 5.16
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 13304.70 Hz Gain -10.43 dB Q 5.20

DCA Aeon 2 Noire APO Score Full EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz.png

Without HF:
DCA Aeon 2 Noire APO Score EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz.png

Attachments

• DCA Aeon 2 Noire APO Score Full EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz.txt
    491 bytes · Views: 61
  • DCA Aeon 2 Noire APO Score EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz.txt
    435 bytes · Views: 57

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like bright! Very bright... :D
Like you, I'm getting up in age and I prefer it a bit hot in the upper frequencies to compensate for my hearing loss.:cool:

Keened

Forum Donor
Would the Qudelix 5K struggle?

This has already been beaten to death but I'll just toss in that almost any modern battery powered portable DACs/DAP is probably fine. I'm running my pair off the BTR7 using the SE output and it gets plenty loud. True dongles are a different story

First of all I want to say I love this headset. Unfortunately I've had a bit of a run-in with it.

I was told to post here from the Head-Fi Thread on the Noire. Basically, my Noire has had a fluctuating impedance imbalance on the right side almost its entire life and after repeated RMAs I'm at a loss. There was another user that experienced the same thing in the Head-Fi thread, "hellsgod". My warranty has now lapsed and still no resolution. This is the post:

Aeon 2 Noire Sound Shifting To The Left.
Right driver dropout so I perceive it shifting left.

There is clearly a broken trace on the driver here, there should never be an ohm imbalance. If the break is a small fracture in the AL it can be intermittent which is why it can go back and forth a bit. An ohm imbalance is never a cable or downstream issue.

The exact same thing started happening with mine on the same side as well, intermittent and all. Sample size of two three isn't particularly convincing but there might be something in the manufacturing process which causes these asymmetrical defects. For the moment, it's not worth sending in and it if it is as simple as a hairline fracture in solder I might just remelt it myself. Also the money is probably better saved for the Aeon 3 since this pair is getting so well used loved that there is no resale value.

paudio

The exact same thing started happening with mine on the same side as well, intermittent and all. Sample size of two three isn't particularly convincing but there might be something in the manufacturing process which causes these asymmetrical defects. For the moment, it's not worth sending in and it if it is as simple as a hairline fracture in solder I might just remelt it myself. Also the money is probably better saved for the Aeon 3 since this pair is getting so well used loved that there is no resale value.
I would think it's a fracture in the thin electric trace on the thin membrane that makes up the driver. These came out in June 2021 and have a two year warranty so likely you are covered. Not sure why you wouldn't get these fixed?

drey

Just got these a couple of days ago.

The highs are definitely too bright and unpleasant, and EQ'ing is a must.

The included pads are honestly a bad solution in my opinion. They muddy the sound too much for my taste, it makes the headphones sound like I'm listening to them through a plastic cup.

That being said almost everything else is excellent. They are extremely comfortable and I can wear them for many hours. There are some EQ presents on Reddit but I find these don't really fit well with the Noire. It's possible the build or tuning process has changed on these cans since the EQ presets were initially made. But everyone's ears are different I suppose. I'll have to fine-tune my own EQ preset.

I do wish these were more bassy. Maybe I got spoiled too much by the overly bassy Momentum 3's (M3 AEBT).

I think these could be great for certain types of music, but maybe they're not ideal for IDM. I'll probably keep using both cans depending on what I listen to on a given day.

The Aeon's are also excellent for matching movies because of their great comfort.

One small negative, when I take my headphones off I typically place them on the desk. But if I don't rotate the Aeon's 180 degrees they'll end up pushing down on the connectors which could wear them out. It's probably best to get a headphone stand or make sure to rotate them when placing them on the desk so the connectors are hovering in the air and not pressing against the desk.

I've seen some youtube review mentioning that these leak sound, in particular this review. However that has not been my experience. Even when playing loudly I haven't experienced any significant sound leakage. So either that reviewer received a defect, or they're playing extremely loudly.

I think I'll enjoy using these very much!

paudio

Just got these a couple of days ago.

The highs are definitely too bright and unpleasant, and EQ'ing is a must.

The included pads are honestly a bad solution in my opinion. They muddy the sound too much for my taste, it makes the headphones sound like I'm listening to them through a plastic cup.

That being said almost everything else is excellent. They are extremely comfortable and I can wear them for many hours. There are some EQ presents on Reddit but I find these don't really fit well with the Noire. It's possible the build or tuning process has changed on these cans since the EQ presets were initially made. But everyone's ears are different I suppose. I'll have to fine-tune my own EQ preset.

I do wish these were more bassy. Maybe I got spoiled too much by the overly bassy Momentum 3's (M3 AEBT).

I think these could be great for certain types of music, but maybe they're not ideal for IDM. I'll probably keep using both cans depending on what I listen to on a given day.

The Aeon's are also excellent for matching movies because of their great comfort.

One small negative, when I take my headphones off I typically place them on the desk. But if I don't rotate the Aeon's 180 degrees they'll end up pushing down on the connectors which could wear them out. It's probably best to get a headphone stand or make sure to rotate them when placing them on the desk so the connectors are hovering in the air and not pressing against the desk.

I've seen some youtube review mentioning that these leak sound, in particular this review. However that has not been my experience. Even when playing loudly I haven't experienced any significant sound leakage. So either that reviewer received a defect, or they're playing extremely loudly.

I think I'll enjoy using these very much!

I've been running the two notch white filters as I am particular sensitive to high frequency energy. I move between devices a decent amount so I'll probably leave them in. Also been EQing up the subbass <75hz when listening to stuff like LORN. They take bass EQ pretty well.

mugbot

Forum Donor
Here are some thoughts about the EQ.

Notes about the EQ design:

• The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve (and other constrains) with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be therefore more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF and maybe at HF).
  • The range around and above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo, the boosts and preamp gain (loss of Dynamic range) need to be carefully considered to avoid issues with, amongst other things, too low a Max SPL or damaging your device. You have beed warned.
  • Not all units of the same product are made equal. The EQ is based on the measurements of a single unit. YMMV with regards to the very unit you are trying this EQ on.
  • I sometimes use variations of the Harman curve for some reasons. See rational here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pro-review-headphone.28244/page-5#post-989169
  • https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pro-review-headphone.28244/page-6#post-992119
  • NOTE: the score then calculated is not comparable to the scores derived from the default Harman target curve if not otherwise noted.
Good L/R match.
HF a bit ragged, EQ will be dependent fitting

I have generated two EQs, the APO config files are attached.

Score no EQ: 70.7
Score Amirm: 82.5
Score with full EQ: 97.5
Score with EQ: 90.6

Code:
DCA Aeon 2 Noire APO Score Full EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz
July172023-145752

Preamp: -5.8 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 112.70 Hz Gain -3.51 dB Q 1.80
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 265.80 Hz Gain -1.35 dB Q 3.11
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1144.77 Hz Gain -1.72 dB Q 4.04
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2011.98 Hz Gain 2.19 dB Q 1.68
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3505.70 Hz Gain 5.77 dB Q 2.85
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 5750.32 Hz Gain -5.90 dB Q 3.67
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 7345.30 Hz Gain 6.72 dB Q 5.16
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 13301.70 Hz Gain -9.65 dB Q 4.48

DCA Aeon 2 Noire APO Score EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz
July172023-150130

Preamp: -6 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 112.45 Hz Gain -3.51 dB Q 1.80
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 264.80 Hz Gain -1.35 dB Q 3.31
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1143.77 Hz Gain -1.72 dB Q 4.04
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2020.98 Hz Gain 2.24 dB Q 1.68
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3498.70 Hz Gain 5.77 dB Q 3.05
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 5595.84 Hz Gain -5.07 dB Q 5.16
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 13304.70 Hz Gain -10.43 dB Q 5.20

View attachment 299651
Without HF:
View attachment 299653
This is really cool - might be asking a bit much but would there be a way to implement this on an RME ADI-2 DAC FS? We're limited to 5 bands of EQ, plus bass/treble shelves for a total of 7, but as only 5 of these can be PK it's not possible to use the above.

staticV3

Master Contributor

mugbot

Forum Donor

GaryH

Major Contributor
The full list of Oratory's (the acoustic engineer whose EQs they are) settings for the ADI-2 can be found here, if you have any other headphones you want to try them with:

Hephaestus

This is really cool - might be asking a bit much but would there be a way to implement this on an RME ADI-2 DAC FS? We're limited to 5 bands of EQ, plus bass/treble shelves for a total of 7, but as only 5 of these can be PK it's not possible to use the above.
AutoEq can do this as well: Choose custom paramteric eq from drop down box and specify the amount of PK and shelving filter for your needs

I used Amir´s measurement (.csv file provided with the review):

AutoEq.png

Filters.png

GaryH

Major Contributor
Oratory's ADI-2 EQ follows the target better:

Screenshot_20230720_074108.png

It's also better to base EQ on averaged measurements over several units and placement positions as he does to account for variance in both, rather than based on a measurement of a single unit in one particular position.

drey

It turns out actually the bigger impact is the amp I'm using.

When I A/B my Focusrite Scarlett Solo versus the Topping DX3 Pro+, the Scarlett is significantly more bassy while the Topping sounds more flat & neutral. This is using Sennheiser's though.

With the Noire's I can't drive them with the Scarlett, it's just not powerful enough. And the whole reason I bought the Topping was to drive the more power-hungry Noire's.

I think I'll just have to find another amp to drive both of them. I need something with more bass, and I don't want to settle with boosting EQ to achieve this.

drey

It turns out actually the bigger impact is the amp I'm using.

When I A/B my Focusrite Scarlett Solo versus the Topping DX3 Pro+, the Scarlett is significantly more bassy while the Topping sounds more flat & neutral. This is using Sennheiser's though.

With the Noire's I can't drive them with the Scarlett, it's just not powerful enough. And the whole reason I bought the Topping was to drive the more power-hungry Noire's.

I think I'll just have to find another amp to drive both of them. I need something with more bass, and I don't want to settle with boosting EQ to achieve this.
But maybe I'm talking nonsense and I should just adapt to the Topping signature sound. I mean the clarity and "speed" of the bass is much better on the Topping.

I'll keep using these for a month and see where I'm at. :)

Snoopy

Major Contributor
But maybe I'm talking nonsense and I should just adapt to the Topping signature sound. I mean the clarity and "speed" of the bass is much better on the Topping.

I'll keep using these for a month and see where I'm at. :)

I think U need to get used to bass that isn't bloated and distorted.

usern

Nothing wrong with wanting more bass, Noire didn't have enough of it for me either. EQ fixes it easily.

Keened

Forum Donor
I would think it's a fracture in the thin electric trace on the thin membrane that makes up the driver. These came out in June 2021 and have a two year warranty so likely you are covered. Not sure why you wouldn't get these fixed?

A mixture of other people having sent it back in for the same result (indicating a manufacturing flaw probably also in the replacement parts) and having bought it on the secondary market. I might reach out for a price quote, but it hasn't become intolerant yet.

paudio

A mixture of other people having sent it back in for the same result (indicating a manufacturing flaw probably also in the replacement parts) and having bought it on the secondary market. I might reach out for a price quote, but it hasn't become intolerant yet.
Warranty is based on a serial so it doesn't matter if you bought it second hand.

Also I would expect that the faulty drivers weren't replaced because they couldn't replicate the issue as it's intermittent.

Dan made it pretty clear what was going on and that people should reach out to support directly. My second hand set were warrantied for an imbalance quickly and professionally.

Edit: imho you should reach out sooner rather than later as they may even replace it out of warranty for you due to it being some sort of flaw.

Last edited:
Top Bottom