• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC/AMP for Sennheiser HD 660S

pchmykh

Hello dear users!
I going to buy my very first headphones, and I'd like to buy them once for a while without switching, upgrading etc.
I've read some info over the Internet, reviews, feedbacks and decided to buy Sennheiser HD660S headphones.
Sadly I haven't store with testing available, so I had to buy them blindly.
The main questions is - how to choose dac amp combo, or integrated amp.
Friend of mine advised me to look at Motu M2 audiointefrace https://motu.com/en-us/products/m-series/m2/ , but other friend told me Motu is too weak for 600S.
How to choose dac-amp properly? Is Motu M2 enough for 660S? I like Motu because of Linux compability, and because I can use it as DAC for my future audio monitors.
Hope for your help!

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The 150-Ohm Sennheiser HD660s is going to be fairly easy to drive.
But I think you could do better then buying an Audio Interface (Motu M2).
Like the Schiit Fulla 3.

OP
P

pchmykh

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2021-01-04 131854.png
    Снимок экрана 2021-01-04 131854.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 506
OP
P

pchmykh

Got it. Will 660s work better with Fulla or just louder?

threni

Major Contributor
Hello dear users!
I going to buy my very first headphones, and I'd like to buy them once for a while without switching, upgrading etc.
I've read some info over the Internet, reviews, feedbacks and decided to buy Sennheiser HD660S headphones.
Sadly I haven't store with testing available, so I had to buy them blindly.
The main questions is - how to choose dac amp combo, or integrated amp.
Friend of mine advised me to look at Motu M2 audiointefrace https://motu.com/en-us/products/m-series/m2/ , but other friend told me Motu is too weak for 600S.
How to choose dac-amp properly? Is Motu M2 enough for 660S? I like Motu because of Linux compability, and because I can use it as DAC for my future audio monitors.
Hope for your help!

I'm driving my HD 660 S with a Topping E30 and Schiit Asgard 3 and it's great. I also have the Asgard 3's internal DAC which doesn't measure as well as the Topping but sounds the same to me (the E30 has a remote control though, and has louder output which means I can run the Asgard 3 at full volume in low gain mode, controlling the volume via the DAC, so any hiss/distortion I hear is coming from the source material, not the equipment).

OP
P

pchmykh

Thank you a lot!
What do you think - will be xduuo xd05 plus or fiil q5s tc is good for sennheiser 660s?

JIW

According to https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/sennheiser-hd-660s.php#rw3
measured impedance of 660s is up to 389,5 ohm. Not so easy I think.

Higher impedance requires more voltage for the same power, i.e. more voltage to reach the same SPL for the same efficiency. However, what matters much more is sensitivity, which is the SPL produced for a given voltage - typically at 1 V. For the HD660S, sensitivity is around 110 dB SPL at 1 V. Based on Amir's measurements of the Motu M4, the maximum usable output level of the headphone output of the M2 should be around 2.3 V RMS, which for the HD660s would give peaks of about 120 dB SPL. So there should be no problem getting the HD660S loud enough with the M2.

OP
P

pchmykh

Higher impedance requires more voltage for the same power, i.e. more voltage to reach the same SPL for the same efficiency. However, what matters much more is sensitivity, which is the SPL produced for a given voltage - typically at 1 V. For the HD660S, sensitivity is around 110 dB SPL at 1 V. Based on Amir's measurements of the Motu M4, the maximum usable output level of the headphone output of the M2 should be around 2.3 V RMS, which for the HD660s would give peaks of about 120 dB SPL. So there should be no problem getting the HD660S loud enough with the M2.
Thank you a lot! I think i have got it.

Last edited:

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you a lot!
What do you think - will be Xduuo xd-05 plus or fiil q5s tc is good for Sennheiser 660s?
I liked my XD-05, until it stopped working.
And would not have an issue with buying another one.

Top Bottom