• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best value DAC for Sennheiser HD 650?

I saw a couple other related posts but didn't get much answer... So here it goes.
Dear audio gods, I'm new to this and my headphones were trashed so I bought some HD 650s after looking online a lot for some decent entry point headphones. As a simpleton I don't need a 0.1% change in audio that I won't even notice. I'm just looking for a DAC around $100-150 or less, and if you think I don't even need one, just tell me. I'm going to hook it up to a predator laptop so yeah. I just want to listen to music and it sounds good. At first I was looking at Audioquest's Dragonfly USB DACs but after seeing the comparisons on this forum (which were really in-depth and impressive) I feel they are overpriced?

StigErik

Forum Donor
Topping DX1. It’s around 100$. I have one that I use with my HD600’s. Absolutely love it.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You seem to be looking for a DAC/headphone amp or dongle with headphone out.
Depending on how loud you want to go and whether or not you want to EQ the bass up to Harman levels (at loud levels) you should steer your purchase to.

OP
W
You seem to be looking for a DAC/headphone amp or dongle with headphone out.
Depending on how loud you want to go and whether or not you want to EQ the bass up to Harman levels (at loud levels) you should steer your purchase to.
I would just listen to music normally with little or no change, not super loud or equalized a lot. So you're saying I don't need a DAC/amp or dongle?

StigErik

Forum Donor
If your laptop has got a headphone output, you could use that of course.

OP
W
If your laptop has got a headphone output, you could use that of course.
Right, but from what I read online the integrated amp of laptops aren't very good and could be limiting my headphones. I don't have experience with DAC/amps so I'm not sure.

StigErik

Forum Donor
Laptop headphone outputs sounds a lot better than their reputation. However, they don’t have infinite output power, so if you want to EQ the bass (you should) or play loud, the laptop might not be powerful enough. External DACs like the Topping I mentioned does have better tech specs, but is it audible ….?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Well... some laptops/phones are not the greatest around but most of them are every bit as 'good' as an external dongle at 'sensible' listening levels.
The high impedance of the HD650 is virtually no load to a headphone output.
When you don't want to play very loud and do not apply EQ you should not expect an appreciable difference from a dongle in most cases.
When you occasionally want to play louder than what you do now and hear some 'roughening' of the sound quality you might want to look into something that has 10x more power in 300ohm than what you have now.

Last edited:

virtua

Try the Apple Type C to 3.5mm dongle adapter first, it's cheap enough to give it a shot and gives a much cleaner output than the Dragonfly's.

OP
W
Thank you for the answers. I think I will just go without one for now, as it seems beyond my needs. I might try a cheap one later.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Currently the SMSL C200 is at $125 used on Amazon via the SMSL store. I have one and measures well with plenty of power. Check the review here that was done.

OP
W
I caved and bought a DAC/amp, I asked for a Topping but they didn't have it. So I just bought an ifi Zen DAC. It was the cheapest they had. I tried several other DAC\amps at the store but I noticed very little difference, so I just went with the cheap one. I do notice a difference compared to plugging into my laptop raw.... Sound is more loud and the bass is noticeably different in a good way. I'm happy with my purchase but I'm sure others here would chastise me for it haha! Just thought I would share.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Zen DAC or Zen DACv2 ?

Below the original Zen DAC (with a 'tube-like' distortion profile)
It has very low output power (6.3mm output) in 300ohm

ifi makes good and affordable products with 'out of the box thinking' enclosures.

Last edited:
OP
W
The box says ifi Zen air DAC, nothing about a v2. It doesn't look like that one though. It has a green kHz light on the front.

Top Bottom