• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crinacle bought the B&K 5128/4620

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
He is going to update his database using the new B&K equipment.

Edit: It surprises me a little bit this thread doesn't get any traction. I thought more people would find this interesting to discuss :)

Last edited:

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm surprised too. The results from this new measurement set up are significantly different than before. Some *very* big differences. If you autoeq.app then you're very likely to get the new measurements provided. Apps which import autoeq measurements may not necessarily specify which set they are using. You could easily end up with very different EQ across different applications and devices, despite all the EQ's being apparently sourced from the same place and measured by the same person.

I watched Crinacle's video. One thing which stood out for me was that the old method is suspected of assuming that humans get much the same excellent seal as measuring rigs manage, and that they don't and that this causes problems. I can understand this with arbitrary size silicone tips provided by the vendor but I use foam tips and always get an excellent seal unless the IEM is such an odd shape and/or shallow fit that nothing can help. I think the old method was fine. Having a new measurement setup with very different target and some different assumptions, with all the measurements dumped in the mix with years and years of the old 711 results just seems like a recipe for confusion and for making comparisons much more difficult.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Dazerdoreal

My experiences still align better with the 711, and I dont even mean the different target. The 5128 measures treble peaks which I definetely cannot hear.

markanini

Major Contributor
My experiences still align better with the 711, and I dont even mean the different target. The 5128 measures treble peaks which I definetely cannot hear.
I find the measurements hard to read due to the extra "noise". This is the delta vs RA0045 using csglinux data, and it's noisier on individual measurements:
sdgf.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom