• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

COVID19 vaccinations coming soon to a clinic/pharmacy near you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The first person being inoculated here made the TV news yesterday, a 91 year old.
The plan is to do old people and health workers first.
I am hoping it gets to me early next year.

So many people take recreational drugs the origin and composition of which they never question I am amazed people are scared.
Mind you the English doctor who got struck off for wrongly linking the MMR vaccine to autism has a huge following of dimwits, astonishingly enough.

Willem

Major Contributor
Right now, at least some 5% of the US population got infected, but probably far more. At least 284K died from it, which is of course about 0.1% of the population.

mansr

Major Contributor
They'll have to catch me running to inject me one of those untested $$$ liquids.
Thankfully, the vaccines have been tested and found safe.

I work as a statistician and, after studying the data and the way they are collected for several months, I can tell you that the "2%" you talk about doesn't seem very realistic. As least where I live, in France.
If you do nothing, you _will_ catch the virus eventually. When you do, your risk of dying in that year is roughly doubled. If the vaccines were anything close to that risky, it would have been detected in testing. Using public roads is more dangerous.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thankfully, the vaccines have been tested and found safe.
That is not what several French doctors say: I've heard on the radio today, once again, that appart from press sheets from pharma companies, there are no scientific papers about the efficiency of vaccines reviewed by peers yet

If you do nothing, you _will_ catch the virus eventually. When you do, your risk of dying in that year is roughly doubled. If the vaccines were anything close to that risky, it would have been detected in testing. Using public roads is more dangerous.
There seem to be several virus strains. Against which is the vaccine efficient? Nobody seem to know.
Where does your "roughly doubled" come from?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Efficacy is likely fine, but by definition, long term effects are unknown. So there's certainly a trade-off

If anyone has a chance, Dale Saran's Abject Lesson is an excellent read.

mansr

Major Contributor
That is not what several French doctors say: I've heard on the radio today, once again, that appart from press sheets from pharma companies, there are no scientific papers about the efficiency of vaccines reviewed by peers yet
The MHRA in the UK says it's safe. That's good enough for me.

There seem to be several virus strains. Against which is the vaccine efficient? Nobody seem to know.
The trial results seem to indicate the vaccines are effective against all strains circulating in the areas where testing took place.

Where does your "roughly doubled" come from?
From annual all-cause mortality rates by age group compared to covid-19 case fatality rate by age group. Coincidentally, the two graphs track pretty closely.

Willem

Major Contributor
appart from press sheets from pharma companies, there are no scientific papers about the efficiency of vaccines reviewed by peers yet
No peer reviewed papers yet, but massive documentation submitted to authorities like the EMA. That will be far more thorough than any peer review for an academic journal, and quite rightly so. In short, you are spreading false rumours.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No peer reviewed papers yet, but massive documentation submitted to authorities like the EMA. That will be far more thorough than any peer review for an academic journal, and quite rightly so. In short, you are spreading false rumours.

Ok so after three posts on this thread I am already taxed of "spreading false rumours". Damn, the subject is pretty touchy.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Yes it is a touchy subject. People like you could get other people to die when they don't have to.
And people like you will forcibly (via direct or indirect duress) expose everyone to such nice and trustworthy institutions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Public_Health_Service_Syphilis_Study_at_Tuskegee
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKUltra
And this is including the unwilling people; of course, no need for duress, otherwise.

Anyway, does ASR need a vaccine debate (or enforced monologue)? Really?

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
"Soon" depends on who you are and where you live. If by mid summer, I wil be impressed living in the Piedmont of NC, by NCS and Duke. If enough people worldwide can get it within a year, that would be quite a feat. We are talking 8 BILLION people and the don't have many -100C freezers in most of the world. If summer of 2022 we could actually go to the pub without fear, that would be a historically unprecedented victory.

There are over 150 companies working on this. Half a dozen are at the finishing line. I expect there to be cheaper and easier to handle if slightly less effective in another 6 months. This is necessary to most of the world. I really hope it won't need to be an annual booster, but that is unknown.

I would love to say some things about our leadership, but not in this forum. All I can do is offer my apology.

The fear is generated by the anti-whatever-ignorant. If only they got it and died, I might be fine with that. Much of the anti was driven by some false cause and effect bad logic:
God is love.
Love is Blind.
Ray Charles is blind.
Therefore Ray Charles is god. ( No, just a darn great blues man:) )

Facts:
Almost all children who develop Autism got a vaccine.
Well yea, almost ALL children got a vaccine.
Someone got the flu shot and got the flu. What part of 70% don't you understand? ( Or thousands of different flues)
50 years ago some vaccines were weakened but active virus. So some got sick, but the majority did not and many more who did not get the vaccine got sick.

I will be in line. Over 65, but good health. My wife is not and has about half the risk factors. If she catches it, she dies.
So, got my flue, pneumonia, tetanus, and shingles, this year. Don't forget the pneumonia shot as if you do get COVID, that may prevent the secondary infection which could be the last straw.

I am upset because I can't get N95 or K95 masks to wear in my workshop doing wood and metal work. MDF dust kills too! I did finally get new welding cartridges. Can't find the extra thick nitrile gloves either. The thin garbage we can get does not hold up wrenching on my Triumph.

vert

Forum Donor
Yes it is a touchy subject. People like you could get other people to die when they don't have to.
Better stay out of it, before you get accused of something worse, who knows, than being a murderer ? It's a tough climate for sure. I learned today that efforts are ramping up to vaccinate people in the world's poorest countries, where people typically live on $1 a day, despite the fact that, as was mentioned in the presentation, the incidence of COVID-19 has been extremely low in those countries, about 30 (thirty) times lower than in industrialized countries, and the (scientifically) predicted COVID apocalypse never happened in the poor countries (never let anyone terrorize you in the name of "science", would be my friendly piece of advice). When I asked (in suprise, more from an anti-BS, than an anti-vaccine stance) why it was such a priority, given the high cost of those vaccines for such countries (a month or two's salary?), and the many pressing problems poor countries face, not the least financial, the answer was that poor people are entitled to vaccination, too. Who will profit, really? I wasn't entirely convinced by the answer, needless to say.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Aaaaaand back to audio.
It is too hard to keep these threads between the lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom