• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Convince me to not buy 8351b.

Curvature

Major Contributor
At under one meter listening distance it seems you’re paying for a lot of unnecessary horsepower. That and they’re quite large for a typical desktop setup. The smaller Genelecs would be a better fit at those distances in my opinion. But as always, whatever floats one’s boat...
The only reason to get the bigger Genelecs in this case would be if they change from bedroom to living room speakers at some point.

OP
D

dj94030

Dang, I just checked the specs and 8351b has a lot of bass even without subs. And if you don't need all that headroom (which I don't, I've enough tinnitus already) you can eq to have a little more. Adding the W371A as subs would buy you another, what, 9 Hz? Diminishing returns, eh?
Yes, but depends on room. Can definitely pull some more low end with audiolense, but not sure if genelec software allows it. My current setup starts from 32hz with harman curve. And i never listen over say 75db. But bass has no punch.
paying for a lot of unnecessary horsepower
Yes, but a little bit of future proofing. And i do want an ultimate computer speaker. Current system is 6 years old.
reason to get the bigger Genelecs
I'm trying to get more bass and also their bigger updated midrange. I believe with 31-41s i will regret not buying the good thing forever.

napfkuchen

Dang, I just checked the specs and 8351b has a lot of bass even without subs. And if you don't need all that headroom (which I don't, I've enough tinnitus already) you can eq to have a little more. Adding the W371A as subs would buy you another, what, 9 Hz? Diminishing returns, eh?
Problem is that the in-room bass will most likely have some dips due to SBIR. My recommendation would be a pair of 8341 and 7360. With subwoofers you can even out the frequency response much easier because of placement options. Also the maximum SPL will be higher than with a pair of 8351.

Reactions: mkt

YSC

Major Contributor
I just wanna say: read 8361 and 8381 brochures and you will forget about buying 8351

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelec support told me to get 8341 and sub.
Which is probably the best option for your use.
Your room isn't huge and you intend to listen near field, so SPL level isn't a decision factor (but speakers size may be).

I'm pretty sure all Genelec "one" sound basically the same, if you forget loudness and bass extension.

Bass extension would be taken care of by the sub. And higher SPL is most probably not needed. (And anyway, is probably similar for both options)

Other than that, smaller speaker will have more direct sound than bigger ones at the same distance, as per following Genelec document:

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quite a few people mention that ones with bigger tweeter/midrange sound better.
If you compare 2 models "Raw", probably.
The bigger woofer will allow more bass.
But is that valid when you compare the 8351 alone vs the 8341 + sub ?

For more or less the same price, in your case, I'd go for the 8341 + (1×) 7370.
(For your use, a 7360 would be enough. But I like it loud, from time to time, and I know I'd want to fill the room at some point. A level similar to my current 1032 is perfect.)

It may even be louder than the 8351 alone.

(And, after all, your thread is titled "Convince me not to buy the 8351b", isn't it ?)

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quite a few people mention that ones with bigger tweeter/midrange sound better.
And similar amount of people say the opposite, probably.
As usual with this kind of statement.

Looking at Amir's measurements, it's actually quite hard to see any difference.
Except for the bass extension and max SPL/distortion, of course.
But a sub should do even better.

delta76

Major Contributor

They're also very big for a desktop setup, but if the will is there. :)

index.php
I hope it's not your setup.
because it's unsettling for some reasons ...

OP
D

dj94030

And similar amount of people say the opposite, probably.
As usual with this kind of statement.

Looking at Amir's measurements, it's actually quite hard to see any difference.
Except for the bass extension and max SPL/distortion, of course.
But a sub should do even better.
I'm afraid that a (dual) sub will be instantly needed with 31-41s. And with 51s maybe not needed at all.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey, so the given situation is that i want to upgrade eve audio 2 way 5" monitors with 2 8" subs, and audiolense.
Use is desktop, listening distance under 1m. Room is maybe 25m2.
8351 because the 41 have smaller midrange and tweeter and i will want the bigger ones if i compromise on the 41s and below.
Reason to upgrade "just because". Current system is very good and i can't exactly say if something is wrong with it.
Never heard genelec either. They wont exist in any local shop, especially not the monster 3ways.
My understanding that the genelec is endgame. Cons i see is price and for best sound will have to ditch my dac and get digital from source straight to speakers and possible use their SAM system.
Why should i buy it? Why should i not buy it? What else can i buy?
Thanks!

Since you're already using audiolense, can you post it's measuremtn and/or correction results? I've never used it, but I assume it generates some kind of human-readable explanation of what it's doing

Infinit0

Here is what Genelec recommends for subwoofers: https://www.genelec.com/correct-monitors

Single 7360 for the 8331 (stereo setup) and a single 7370 for the 8341.

View attachment 296453
Besides that Genelcs recommends: I have found lot of people around the internet using (without problems and very happy) the 8331 with 7350 and the 8341 with the 7360.
Of course if you wan't to go full SPL probably it will be a bottleneck, but anyway it's viable

OP
D

dj94030

Since you're already using audiolense, can you post it's measuremtn and/or correction results? I've never used it, but I assume it generates some kind of human-readable explanation of what it's doing
Attached file, see what each color is on the bottom. It's only simulated, but i measured corrected results with REW and it was pretty close.

Attachments

• 2023-07-03_14-59-12.png
    2023-07-03_14-59-12.png
    65.6 KB · Views: 63

Multicore

Major Contributor
Yes, but depends on room. Can definitely pull some more low end with audiolense, but not sure if genelec software allows it. My current setup starts from 32hz with harman curve. And i never listen over say 75db. But bass has no punch.
Take care with punch. Genelec strives for transparent, neutral radiation of the available signal and you are budgeting enough to get fairly close. But that's not what I think of as punchy. My limited experience with good full-range neutral systems is that they are uninteresting. Only when the music does something important in the sub sub bass do you notice that something is different. (I've said here often enough that I don't understand most of the language people use to describe sound but) I would have thought that to get more punchy bass you would apply some effects, not remove them. Multi-band compression would be my first thought but I'm not a recording or mastering engineer.

Spending $10k on the most transparent studio monitoring might deliver a boring result if the expectation is off. Can you try in your space before you buy?

Last edited:

Curvature

Major Contributor
I would buy the 8351A and GLM, and then add subs later, for what it's worth.

OP
D

dj94030

I would buy the 8351A and GLM, and then add subs later, for what it's worth.
Not sure if there's a point to replace audiolense with GLM. Having it all handled in the speakers sounds pretty damn good tho. I had to do quite big conceptual changes to have parametric eq going and to have a music player that supports convolution.

Top Bottom