• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My 2.1 audio system update G 8050 vs 8351

Louke

I was thinking about a small upgrade to my speakers. I now have a Genelec 8030B, SVS PB2000 and a miniDSP SHD preamp. I thought if I changed 8030B -> 8050B + bigger SVS or other subwoofer. As another option, I've been looking at used 8351A/B models (and no money for a new subwoofer now, but maybe some years later). But do I really need GML features if I already have the opportunity to use SHD and Dirac?

The 8351 model would be attractive because of the 3-way, but will these (and GLM + Dirac) work well with the SVS bass? And I'll be disappointed with the upgrade if I don't change the SVS to Genelec subwoofer (7380A example) at the same time (which would go over the budget).

Would it be smarter to go with the 8050 model and do the room correction using Dirac and use the remaining money to upgrade the subwoofer?

The listening distance is 2.6 meters and the living room is about 4x4 meters, but the two walls of the room are open to the fireplace room and the kitchen. listening is 50/50% Music and movies (I would like a powerful 20Hz bass for movies but also good sound stage for metal music with a tolerable quality (I listen to music via tidal HIFI) I've been happy with Genelec 8030b monitors, but the volume doesn't seem to be enough for louder jamming and the sound doesn't feel clear on high level.

I would be very grateful for views on how I should update the system. Now I feel that the 8030 doesn't have enough "balls" when I play at high volume.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For your use case, it would be hard to justify the 8351's as opposed to 8050's, basic room treatment (unless you already have?) and a better/additional sub for the same $. Genelec subs are not worth it for home users. I'm selling my 8351s and 8050s, BTW :)

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was thinking about a small upgrade to my speakers. I now have a Genelec 8030B, SVS PB2000 and a miniDSP SHD preamp. I thought if I changed 8030B -> 8050B + bigger SVS or other subwoofer. As another option, I've been looking at used 8351A/B models (and no money for a new subwoofer now, but maybe some years later). But do I really need GML features if I already have the opportunity to use SHD and Dirac?

The 8351 model would be attractive because of the 3-way, but will these (and GLM + Dirac) work well with the SVS bass? And I'll be disappointed with the upgrade if I don't change the SVS to Genelec subwoofer (7380A example) at the same time (which would go over the budget).

Would it be smarter to go with the 8050 model and do the room correction using Dirac and use the remaining money to upgrade the subwoofer?

The listening distance is 2.6 meters and the living room is about 4x4 meters, but the two walls of the room are open to the fireplace room and the kitchen. listening is 50/50% Music and movies (I would like a powerful 20Hz bass for movies but also good sound stage for metal music with a tolerable quality (I listen to music via tidal HIFI) I've been happy with Genelec 8030b monitors, but the volume doesn't seem to be enough for louder jamming and the sound doesn't feel clear on high level.

I would be very grateful for views on how I should update the system. Now I feel that the 8030 doesn't have enough "balls" when I play at high volume.
For that size of room and distance I'd go for the 8050, bigger sub(s) and stick with Dirac. If you cross the subs relatively high the 8050s should have, um, "balls" to spare.

I have the 8030b and they are great in nearfield at around 1m, but I'm still going to add a sub as soon as I can, and your experience of their losing their nerve at very loud SPL doesn't sound wild to me.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 8030 (or 8330 as in my case) run out of steam even nearfield, even with a sub. Not with easy listening, but it doesn't take unhealthy amount of volume to make them unhappy.

That being the case, the 8050 (8350) is entirely different beast and it really isn't that much worse than 8351 if you just compare in everyday listening situation, not nitpicking everything. And the cost savings are so huge that you can get for example second SVS with that that will probably make a very audible difference.

In my opinion The Ones are great option when there are no budget concerns. Not that you would need to be rich but rather be in a financial situation that spending that kind of money is no big deal and it's worth it to not to think about it ever again.

Top Bottom