• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Convince me to not buy 8351b.

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
When listening so quiet you have to take equal loudness contour into the consideration, that's why it's not exciting until turned up. BTW 8351B are a great starting point for adding W371A later

Last edited:

Infinit0

Convince me to not buy 8351b.​

They're expensive.

That's all I got.
Good point.

Probably is already said in here but I was in a similar situation (but against the 8341 instead) and I have choosen the Neumann KH 150 + 750DSP + MA1 combo, so, this is another reason to convince you.

Maybe you can wait for the new Neumann KH310 that they will are going to be released soon(1 year more or less) with DSP incorporated and all the new technology in the KH150... probably they will be very good too and 3 way like 8351, but not coaxial so...

Good luck!

jasoncd

I have been debating an upgrade for a long while. Physical constraints were part of it, so towers were out, etc.

Anyway, decided on the 8351b and received them Saturday. First impressions are mixed. Setup and corrected with Audiolense in a 2.2 setup and the tonality feels off to me. Even with the FR similar to my previous speakers (after correction).

I brought out Dirac just to try something different. And the tonality is better, although there are other problems with Dirac. I believe the phase correction in GLM is on, so maybe that + Audiolense is not working well together.

It's only been a few days, so grain of salt and I plan to keep an open mind. The benefits of a coaxial are neat but not a huge deal for me with a single listening position. But walking around, sitting on the floor playing with the dogs, etc the Genelecs sound noticeably more correct.

Just a counter point to consider.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I have been debating an upgrade for a long while. Physical constraints were part of it, so towers were out, etc.

Anyway, decided on the 8351b and received them Saturday. First impressions are mixed. Setup and corrected with Audiolense in a 2.2 setup and the tonality feels off to me. Even with the FR similar to my previous speakers (after correction).

I brought out Dirac just to try something different. And the tonality is better, although there are other problems with Dirac. I believe the phase correction in GLM is on, so maybe that + Audiolense is not working well together.

It's only been a few days, so grain of salt and I plan to keep an open mind. The benefits of a coaxial are neat but not a huge deal for me with a single listening position. But walking around, sitting on the floor playing with the dogs, etc the Genelecs sound noticeably more correct.

Just a counter point to consider.
If you don’t mind me asking, which speakers did these replace, and what is your listening distance?

jasoncd

I think you just broke @Pearljam5000 's heart...

Could be. Or maybe not if they really, really enjoy discussing speakers more than the reality of buying them? I jest @Pearljam5000 !

If you don’t mind me asking, which speakers did these replace, and what is your listening distance?

I've had a few in the same room. I've been continually playing with placement of speakers, listening position, furniture, room treatment, etc. My favorites, and what I was using up to last week, were JBL 4309.

This is my office, listening position is behind a small desk. I've tried various listening distances, with the JBL I was doing five feet or 1.5m. Computer 'monitor' is wall mounted, speakers are on K&M stands. I started out with 5' distance with the Genelecs, and am now trying a little closer at 4.33 feet or 1.32m . More for potential mitigation of nulls that are just part of the room.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Could be. Or maybe not if they really, really enjoy discussing speakers more than the reality of buying them? I jest @Pearljam5000 !

I've had a few in the same room. I've been continually playing with placement of speakers, listening position, furniture, room treatment, etc. My favorites, and what I was using up to last week, were JBL 4309.

This is my office, listening position is behind a small desk. I've tried various listening distances, with the JBL I was doing five feet or 1.5m. Computer 'monitor' is wall mounted, speakers are on K&M stands. I started out with 5' distance with the Genelecs, and am now trying a little closer at 4.33 feet or 1.32m . More for potential mitigation of nulls that are just part of the room.
Thanks for the info.

OP
D

dj94030

Neumann KH310
There are a lot of that kind of 3-ways, but i'm very close to speakers and that's the only thing that held me down from upgrading to 3-way eve audio, or maybe atc. Also my main screen is a bit in front of speakers, if i want to fix that i will have to put speakers even closer to ears.
tonality feels off to me
Disable all enhancements on speakers side and try pure audiolense? Also try just GLM, without any computer enhancements?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Attached file, see what each color is on the bottom. It's only simulated, but i measured corrected results with REW and it was pretty close.
This is already quite good. How close are you to the speakers, exactly? When it comes to <1m, it's important to be precise. 0.75m or below and the recommendation is typically a 5.25" in a 2 way+sub or expensive Genelec Ones.

It seems pretty straightforward to me - you already own subs and audiolense. If you want an all in one or vertical dispersion matters to you (doubt it does at <1m), 8351B.

If you want to save some $, keep your subs in play and go 8030C if you like Genelec sound (often described as brighter due to more treble energy) or KH120 II if you want the latest and greatest.

Unless the cost would cause you serious heartache, honestly it sounds like your mind is already made up so just do it. You only live once and you'll regret the things you didn't do - think how many songs you could've heard in all the time you've spent deliberating?

OP
D

dj94030

Another reason not to buy
There could be a 8351C soon :)
No, their support told me no updates are planned.
close are you to the speakers
90cm or so.
No point to change a nice 2 way to another nice 2 way, i guess? But can always go buy them and then keep on dreaming about 51s :)
keep your subs in play
My hopes are to sell my current system in 1 piece, so 2 monitors and 2 subs go. And then avoid having to splurge on subs for at least some time. And ideally to ditch cumbersome convolution and to use GLM. And maybe to ditch dac and just go fully digital from pc to speaker.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My hopes are to sell my current system in 1 piece, so 2 monitors and 2 subs go. And then avoid having to splurge on subs for at least some time. And ideally to ditch cumbersome convolution and to use GLM. And maybe to ditch dac and just go fully digital from pc to speaker.

I think this answers your Q altogether. if you want to ditch the subs, you're looking at a 8" driver and I'm not aware of any other way to get a satisfactory result at 90cm except with the 8351B.

Top Bottom