• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connect raspberrypi to Yamaha a-s501

Reli

What would be the best way to connect yamaha a-s501 to raspberrypi and pc as it doesn't have any USB connections. I would like to be able to play my digital files and qobuz or tidal.

Thanks

StephanB

There are three ways to connect a Raspberry Pi to your amplifier
  1. With an external USB DAC. As long as the DAC is recognised by the Linux kernel and the Rasp-pi USB port can provide enough current to power to the DAC. I have used Behringer UCA-222 DACs and they work fine, but this is an entry-range DAC.
  2. With a HiFiBerry Digi2 Pro. This will give you S/PDIF & TOSLINK outputs. You would then use the DAC of the Yamaha.
  3. With a Raspberry-Pi DAC that uses the 40 pin connector. This is a cleaner solution (mechanically) than (1) as you can buy special cases to accomodate the Pi and the DAC RCA outputs. See a list of products here: https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-audio-hats
For a PC (laptop), I am using an external USB DAC and a looong USB cable to the sofa. This forum is full of advice on DACs. You may find a product that fits both the PC and the Raspberry Pi.
Let us know if you want to run a parametric EQ on the Raspberry Pi. There is an ALSA module for this.
I hope this helps.

OP
R

Reli

Thanks for you quick response Stephan.
What about the converters to usb or they don't preform well. Also what about another dac (topping d10) will I be able/ have the option to use the Yamahas dac? If not I like the idea of the Raspberry-Pi DAC.

I was going to ask about EQ, was my next question but you read my mind. I have picoreplayer and there is a option for Alsa but haven't found a guide how to apply EQ. Would you be able to direct me where to look?

Thanks

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
USB to coax or toslink should be fine, as should a D10s. Which Pi version do you have?

I haven't checked the latest picoreplayer but last I checked it gave the option of the alsa 10 band graphic EQ. There's a project working on CamillaDSP integration but I wouldn't call it an easy mod yet.
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...switching-esp32-remote-control.361429/page-18
https://github.com/Lykkedk/SuperPlayer-v8.0.0---SamplerateChanger-v1.0.0
https://github.com/Lykkedk/SuperPlayer-v8.0.0--CamillaGUI-v0.6.0

NewbieAudiophileExpert

I've used a Topping D10S AND a FiiO Btr5 2021 when running Volumio and MoOde on Raspberry Pi - both worked.

The D10S is a more elegant solution, since it's powered up by the Raspberry Pi's USB power output.

OP
R

Reli

Thank you all. Looks like I have a few options to choose from. If I went for a dac will I have the option to switch between d10 and yamahas dac?

I have the pi 3b. Regarding the EQ is not as straightforward as the EQ APO but I will have a go and see.

StephanB

Thank you all. Looks like I have a few options to choose from. If I went for a dac will I have the option to switch between d10 and yamahas dac?

I have the pi 3b. Regarding the EQ is not as straightforward as the EQ APO but I will have a go and see.
You will have the option to switch between the 2 DACs only if your Rasp-pi DAC has a digital output (S/PDIF or TOSLINK)

Regarding the headless equaliser:
  1. I will assume that you have a Linux box or a Raspberry Pi with a desktop install. I suggest you develop the EQ on the desktop and then port it to the headless system.
  2. Room EQ Wizard (REW) is your friend. You can measure EQ through a 2nd laptop + 2nd interface, or you can measure EQ by routing the signal via (pulseaudio) pavucontrol or qjackctl.
  3. Create the eq config file on the desktop, configure the ALSA plugin, measure with REW.
  4. If you are using 2 devices: you can export the sweep (or the pink noise) to a wav file, and play that on the "playback" system.
  5. Note that REW can generate a freq. response plot from EQ settings, or import a freq. response from a csv file. You can then compare the expected EQ with the measurement.
  6. Be patient, REW is a "big" application, there is a lot to learn. You can start by measuring "trivial" EQs
I hope this helps. I apologise if you already use REW and know all this.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
consider the allo boss 2 player. Very good dac and streaming solution with dsp, all in one box for reasonable money.

Zek

Major Contributor
If I went for a dac will I have the option to switch between d10 and yamahas dac?
You can use the Topping D10S as a DAC or as a digital SPDIF (coaxial and optical) output to a Yamaha's DAC.

OP
R

Reli

You will have the option to switch between the 2 DACs only if your Rasp-pi DAC has a digital output (S/PDIF or TOSLINK)

Regarding the headless equaliser:
  1. I will assume that you have a Linux box or a Raspberry Pi with a desktop install. I suggest you develop the EQ on the desktop and then port it to the headless system.
  2. Room EQ Wizard (REW) is your friend. You can measure EQ through a 2nd laptop + 2nd interface, or you can measure EQ by routing the signal via (pulseaudio) pavucontrol or qjackctl.
  3. Create the eq config file on the desktop, configure the ALSA plugin, measure with REW.
  4. If you are using 2 devices: you can export the sweep (or the pink noise) to a wav file, and play that on the "playback" system.
  5. Note that REW can generate a freq. response plot from EQ settings, or import a freq. response from a csv file. You can then compare the expected EQ with the measurement.
  6. Be patient, REW is a "big" application, there is a lot to learn. You can start by measuring "trivial" EQs
I hope this helps. I apologise if you already use REW and know all this.
Thanks again Stephan for your detailed replies. At the moment I am trying sorting out the hardware side and later I will definitely start playing around with REW and this replies are going to be very helpful.

OP
R

Reli

consider the allo boss 2 player. Very good dac and streaming solution with dsp, all in one box for reasonable money.
I would like very much allo boss 2 but nothing in stock, I have been keeping an eye for the last few months but unfortunately can't find it anywhere in UK.

Top Bottom