• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help me pick an amp

Sabajw

Hello,

I have a pair of Harbeth HL Compact 7ES-3 speakers, a Bluesound Node and no amp.
My budget for the amp is $1000.

I mostly listen to jazz quartets, classical chamber music, some Rock and Blues. My source is my music files on my PC and I have Roon and Tidal subscriptions. I listen to music at a low volume and I sit about 3 meters from the speakers and the distance between speakers is 2 meters.

I almost purchased a 85wpc Yamaha A-S501 (recommended by some people from the Harbeth users forum) but yesterday I found a 1985 serviced 45wpc Naim Audio Nap 110 amp + NAC 42 preamp for the same price. I cannot audition the amp at my place with my speakers.

What would be the best choice: the vintage Nap 110+NAC 42 or a brand new Yamaha A-S501?

By the way, the Yamaha A-S501 is 85wpc but the A-S701 is 100wpc. Do you know if the main difference between them is 15w or also the sound quality?

Thank you very much

Top Bottom