• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Complex Load for Power Amplifier torture testing

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
What's the impedance like up to 100k+ range? If it appears to be inductive then the model is not really accurate.

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
What's the impedance like up to 100k+ range? If it appears to be inductive then the model is not really accurate.

You may make almost any impedance load you want and need to test. You just use same parts as for speaker crossovers - big coils, big MKT foil capacitors (like the one in post #1).

1576052278260.png

You may also use coils with non-linear core to simulate speaker's non-linear impedance partly.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
You may make almost any impedance load you want and need to test. You just use same parts as for speaker crossovers - big coils, big MKT foil capacitors (like the one in post #1).

View attachment 42162

You may also use coils with non-linear core to simulate speaker's non-linear impedance partly.
I just want to know how many speakers are capacitive up to 100k+ to 10Mhz. As shown in previous graphs, the impedances are capacitive up to 20khz. What about the range that actually affects stability?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Please stop excuses. There are designers who want their designs to be able to drive speakers including Martin Logans, without excuses for their "incompetent" impedance ;). BTW, Martin Logan speakers have very nice sound so you might consider ability to drive them - might be good even from business point of view ;).

No. They are bad designs. Perhaps you should stop excusing them?

Who says Hypex or Purifi can't drive them? I am happy that they can.

Business POV? It's a tiny part of the market. You have it the wrong way round, it's actually ML that are limiting their market by requiring special amp consideration.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The thing is, if capacitive load is that important, insert a coil after the output to isolate the high frequencies then it will be stable.
Low impedance in general is a current output and internal output impedance voltage drop issue rather than capacitive load. If it's capacitive load then it's easy.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It's always been a horses for courses game we have played with HiFi with respect to amplifiers and speakers. Everything in the 50s through to the 70s was 16ohms to 8ohms nominal and not terribly hard to drive.

Ribbons and large array speakers, along with inefficient smaller speakers and some real idealistic designs (apogee, ML etc). They needed arc welders and the market built them. Now 4 ohms nominal is pretty much the standard.

Personally, I think super low impedances at high frequencies are a dreadful thing to subject an amplifier to, but we have to accept the fact there are some magnificent sounding speakers that people will want to use, that will tax/stress or destroy many amplifiers. We can't all rush out and buy a Krell FPB (much as we'd like to). They are the ultimate F.U. to any speaker.

@March Audio is right in his ascertion that super low impedance speakers are an aberration and arguably a faulty design- but only if you decide that all consumer speakers need to fit to a recognized standard. There isn't one, and as such, some amplifiers will collapse in a heap with certain speakers like that. MLs are out on the edge, but universally appreciated in one way or another and I'm thankful that I can go to the only HiFi store around me and I know they will have some on display to listen to.

That's OK. Buy the amplifier that suits your speakers, not the other way around.

Last edited:
OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
I just want to know how many speakers are capacitive up to 100k+ to 10Mhz. As shown in previous graphs, the impedances are capacitive up to 20khz. What about the range that actually affects stability?

None of the loads shown here are capacitive above 20kHz. Even the load in post #1 is inductive above 20kHz - as a result of both small R2 in series with C1 and load lead (inlet) wire inductance. And real speakers are also inductive above 20kHz.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
None of the loads shown here are capacitive above 20kHz. Even the load in post #1 is inductive above 20kHz - as a result of both small R2 in series with C1 and load lead (inlet) wire inductance. And real speakers are also inductive above 20kHz.
So no stability issue then.
Now it's just low impedance load in general. Being able to drive 2ohm load perfectly and 1ohm load safely is good enough. For special speakers just design special amps for them. No issue.

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
So no stability issue then.
Now it's just low impedance load in general. Being able to drive 2ohm load perfectly and 1ohm load safely is good enough. For special speakers just design special amps for them. No issue.

Sorry, your assumption is wrong. Because resistive load 1,2,4 ohm or whatever has 0° phase angle of impedance and no imaginary component. You seem to share same misunderstanding of amplifiers stability with @amirm . The load in post #1 has capacitive impedance from 200Hz up to 20kHz and may result in amp instability, depending on amplifier loopgain amplitude and phase plots. Depending on C1 value as well. This is the routine for us analog circuit designers to investigate amplifier's loopgain plots and also response to voltage step with different loads and we know possible issues and how to cure them. It may not be so clear to those who just make an assembly from OEM modules designed and produced by other manufacturers.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Sorry, your assumption is wrong. Because resistive load 1,2,4 ohm or whatever has 0° phase angle of impedance and no imaginary component. You seem to share same misunderstanding of amplifiers stability with @amirm . The load in post #1 has capacitive impedance from 200Hz up to 20kHz and may result in amp instability, depending on amplifier loopgain amplitude and phase plots. Depending on C1 value as well. This is the routine for us analog circuit designers to investigate amplifier's loopgain plots and also response to voltage step with different loads and we know possible issues and how to cure them. It may not be so clear to those who just make an assembly from OEM modules designed and produced by other manufacturers.
It's not capacitive after 20khz. So no phase shift to affect stability.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
To check stability, just use capacitor, pure capacitance. Open dc load and test 1nFto 1uF to see at what point the amplifier becomes unstable.
For power amp, I use 2.2nF as necessity, 10nF as good, and use 100nF+ to be robust.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
@pma @restorer-john

OK, I went rummaging in my box of crazy crap and it turns out I had the parts to try this test so threw it together on the bench. Slight variation, 30uF and 0.56 ohms.

pfi test.jpg

Purifi amp running 4 ohms resistive at 5 watts

pfi 4 ohm load 5 watts.png

Purifi reactive load. HF 0.5 ohms

pfi reactive load.png

No issues at all.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Of course double blind tested, as I have known your requirements to others :D

Only when differences not supported by measurements are being claimed.

Well, there IS one difference here (besides heat, power output, and power consumption) and that's noise. If you want me to DBT that to demonstrate that I can hear differences in noise level, I'd be happy to do so. Or post recordings of the noise differences between the Class D setup I'm currently (temporarily, alas!) using and the AB amps I usually use.

Was that a serious request or sarcasm?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Offensive to Amir and me in one post. Its disappointing you feel the need.

Its quite clear, understood, and always has been thank you. The same with Amir no doubt.

I have actually tested my amps previously for precisely this, just not with quite such a pathological load. When you see no issues with challenging but sensible loads, you dont bother wasting time chasing ghosts.

I do however recommend people buy quality speakers that dont have serious design flaws.

Last edited:
Top Bottom