• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cocktail Audio X45 Streamer/Ripper/DAC Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 30 14.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 108 52.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 63 30.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 6 2.9%

• Total voters

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
$800.- refurbished, I can see how someone might like this. Performance doesn't match that price but there's a lot to play with and maybe you really wanted it back in the day but couldn't afford it?
But this is the price of a really nice high end laptop. There is no way that it is worth $2300!
The performance seems to clear all audibility thresholds: This product is, for all practical purposes, transparent. It also offers a lot: Streamer, DAC, Phono preamp, Analog preamp' is pretty enough, could be a hub for a serious audio system. IME worth the asking price when new. One can concoct similar or better performance out of separate components. Total price would be same or maybe less. It will remain however difficult to approach this level of convenience. Similar conveniences and feature set will likely be more expensive by going the separates route.

This could be a solution for many interested in "pure" 2-Channel. The price ($2400.oo) is too low for the HEA crowd to consider it. Strange hobby!:rolleyes:.

Peace.

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
yeah but you make it sound like the audience is fully up to speed with all that 'great stuff' in one box for $3k

i would put it to many that people who want a phono preamp and pretty diametrically opposed to those than want an integrated streamer

i get it, there's often not one product that suits everyone.. i accept my atmos receiver has a phono stage but this is a similar story...

i really dont get the comparison to a "high end laptop" though

dananski

Do you know many PCs with AES/EBU outs and ins? Phono and analog ins?
AES/EBU is more common if you look at pro gear (which you probably are using if you have them). For example you could go RME ADI-2 PRO FS if you need all the io (plus ADAT and multichannel output). You'd get better performance, plus eq (I think I'm right in saying this can emulate a phono stage?). It's a pricey one but even added to a PC and CD drive will be cheaper than the X45.

I think with the X45, you're paying for the integration - setup, usage and appearance are all simpler and friendlier.

Verig

It's kinda fun to see all these "back then" comments. It was yesterday. :D
Still too expensive.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
yeah but 2018 was a DECADE ago due to the events of recent years (and this is putting it lightly)

to give you an example an amp i bought in 2018 is now 40% more expensive! my car has risen 25%!

and yet this thing... i actually do quite like the engineering and it seems like no one told them to stop a while ago

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems to me an iPad, a good balanced DAC, a streaming device like an EBay Chromecast and a $20 CD drive can blow the socks off this. Total cost $600.

FINFET

Forum Donor
AES/EBU is more common if you look at pro gear (which you probably are using if you have them). For example you could go RME ADI-2 PRO FS if you need all the io (plus ADAT and multichannel output). You'd get better performance, plus eq (I think I'm right in saying this can emulate a phono stage?). It's a pricey one but even added to a PC and CD drive will be cheaper than the X45.

I think with the X45, you're paying for the integration - setup, usage and appearance are all simpler and friendlier.

The RME ADI-2 PRO only has a 2 channel ADAT, as far as I know. It also can't be used to emulate a phono stage because it lacks a mic pre. Even if it had one, the impedances wouldn't match and RIAA equalization would be necessary. Devices like the ADI-2/4 Pro can do this for around 3K.

And I aggree with you that people will be better off just grab the RME and a streamer. Like the UFX II also costs around 2K and comes with an impressive range of features, such as numerous IO, MIDI, Micpre, TotalMix, DURec, EQ, and Compressor. Add a $300 second-hand PC with a CD drive as a streamer will be the ultimate serious audio gear, if one don't have to pack everything in the same box by paying huge amount of preminum. Why not just get one of these.
Fireface-UFX-II.png

Last edited:

Music707

I could not quite figure out some of the options. When playing Menu for example, it would just give me an error. I thought it would give me settings for the built-in DAC. The back panel shows the myriad of inputs, outputs and functionality of the unit:

Settings are immediately available by choosing the "Setup" icon (left of the "Music DB" icon in your first picture). The right rotary knob (and occasionally the "Return" button) might be all you need to explore.

The Menu button (or the corresponding button on the remote) should call a popup menu that gives you certain selections depending on the respective context. E. g. after selecting an album you can select to delete it, after choosing a song you can select to replay etc.

The remote (which comes with the unit as a standard) should enable the most comfortable access to the unit but maybe the kind user who provided the unit for testing (my honest thank you to this anonymous person!) did not send it along.

Last edited:

dananski

The RME ADI-2 PRO only has a 2 channel ADAT, as far as I know. It also can't be used to emulate a phono stage because it lacks a mic pre. Even if it had one, the impedances wouldn't match and RIAA equalization would be necessary. Devices like the ADI-2/4 Pro can do this for around 3K.

And I aggree with you that people will be better off just grab the RME and a streamer. Like the UFX II also costs around 2K and comes with an impressive range of features, such as numerous IO, MIDI, Micpre, TotalMix, DURec, EQ, and Compressor. Add a $300 second-hand PC with a CD drive as a streamer will be the ultimate serious audio gear, if one don't have to pack everything in the same box by paying huge amount of preminum. Why not just get one of these.
Fireface-UFX-II.png
I actually meant multichannel analog out, but thanks for pointing out it only has stereo ADAT - something not so clear in the spec. Also no mic pre... I suppose you may want an external phono stage then - still in budget.

I'm certainly happy with putting together and using a setup with a PC and discrete components, but I don't think it's for everyone. If my Dad wanted a recommendation, I'd consider a ready-made all-in-one, versus my time setting up something that'd be a hassle for him to use.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Seems to me an iPad, a good balanced DAC, a streaming device like an EBay Chromecast and a $20 CD drive can blow the socks off this. Total cost $600.
So you have 4 boxes instead of 1? Plus all the required cables and power cords. Also don't forget a device to rip and store your ripped CDs.

You don't just pay for the functionally with a device like this.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So you have 4 boxes instead of 1? Plus all the required cables and power cords. Also don't forget a device to rip and store your ripped CDs.

You don't just pay for the functionally with a device like this.
First off, 1 box and one remote (the iPad). The Chromecast plugs into the back of the dac and you can forget it. The $20 CD drive I mentioned is what you rip with. If you exceed the storage in your iPad you can have a 2TB thumb drive ($35). Then you also have $2,400 left over so I suppose you’ll need a wallet for that.

ocinn

First off, 1 box and one remote (the iPad). The Chromecast plugs into the back of the dac and you can forget it. The $20 CD drive I mentioned is what you rip with. If you exceed the storage in your iPad you can have a 2TB thumb drive ($35). Then you also have $2,400 left over so I suppose you’ll need a wallet for that.
You'd also need a CD player/transport and a phono stage, as well as an analog preamp to be able to even come close to matching this feature set. So we are up to 3 physically visible boxes, as well as a drawer full of other shit (thumb drive, cd drive, apple camera connection kit, etc...). You also need a Roon subscription to do 24bit on a Chromecast.

Yes, this product is overpriced, but yes, it is also offering a feature-set and practicality that is unmatched. If they release a successor with better software/processor, a modern DAC, and XLR analog inputs, maybe some simple subwoofer hi-pass option, and made it ~$1500-1600 it would be an incredible product. They did release the "Pro" model which fixed half the things but its $4k+, which is a shame.

Also- is it even possible to rip CDs directly to an iPad without using a computer in-between? I can't find a single app that can do it. In that case, you need to add a laptop/pc setup to the equation to match this feature set.

Edit: And before anyone says so, I (and I assume many others, even in this forum) still play CDs directly.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks @amirm! And how’s the garden coming along this year? Maybe a bit too early for some harvest pics?
My pleasure. The garden is a disaster with so many weeds that I can't plant anything in it. My wife hurt her back a few months ago and can no longer help me with it. And with all the work here, I have fallen way behind. Finally broke down and hired a crew to clean it up and they are doing that as I type this. So may be able to get back in at some level. Appreciate you asking. :)

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You'd also need a CD player/transport and a phono stage, as well as an analog preamp to be able to even come close to matching this feature set. So we are up to 3 physically visible boxes, as well as a drawer full of other shit (thumb drive, cd drive, apple camera connection kit, etc...). You also need a Roon subscription to do 24bit on a Chromecast.

Yes, this product is overpriced, but yes, it is also offering a feature-set and practicality that is unmatched. If they release a successor with better software/processor, a modern DAC, and XLR analog inputs, maybe some simple subwoofer hi-pass option, and made it ~$1500-1600 it would be an incredible product. They did release the "Pro" model which fixed half the things but its $4k+, which is a shame.

Also- is it even possible to rip CDs directly to an iPad without using a computer in-between? I can't find a single app that can do it. In that case, you need to add a laptop/pc setup to the equation to match this feature set.

Edit: And before anyone says so, I (and I assume many others, even in this forum) still play CDs directly.
I believe you are correct about ripping CDs to a computer first, so I was mistaken there. You can play CDs directly on the same USB CD player I mentioned for ripping. Regarding a phono stage, sorry, I am in the 21 century, so no vinyl. ;) But good Topping balanced DACs have analogue inputs already. As for cameras, I'm lost. Please go ahead and spend the $3k.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But if you need all this functionality, I don't see what your options are short of using a computer.
Bluesound Vault $1400, no screen, fewer outputs but 2TB of storage and the BluOS operating system. As a ripper and storage CD playback is not needed.

ocinn

You can play CDs directly on the same USB CD player I mentioned for ripping.
Okay, now you need a laptop to do that, and not just an iPad.
Regarding a phono stage, sorry, I am in the 21 century, so no vinyl.
Neither do I, however, you can't directly compare your DIY piecemeal solution to this product if your solution has 1/2 the features and flexibility. To actually match the feature-set you'd need to spend a lot more and have many more boxes than you originally presented.
But good Topping balanced DACs have analogue inputs already.
Which? I'm not aware of a single SOTA balanced topping DAC with an analog input and preamp functionality. The only ones that are regularly discussed here that I'm aware of are RME and Benchmark (both $2-3k). Edit: Oh and MiniDSP Flex/SHD I guess.
As for cameras, I'm lost.
Apple Camera Connection Kit, is the name for the adapter you'd need to plug an optical drive into an iPad, if it was possible.

ocinn

Bluesound Vault $1400, no screen, fewer outputs but 2TB of storage and the BluOS operating system. As a ripper and storage CD playback is not needed.
Still need a balanced output analog preamp and phono stage after this to match the function of the cocktail audio. So back up to 3 separate boxes, and almost certainly well over >$2k. So we are back at square one.

Edit: oh yeah, this is assuming the unbalanced Bluesound DAC is competent and you are okay with only having the option for Toslink minijack for external digital devices. If not, then you need to buy an external DAC or, at minimum, a DDC.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

ocinn

Matrix Element X2 has analog input and is a streamer/DAC: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/matrix-element-x2-streamer-review.42145/

Still short of functionality of X45 but solves a few more problems.
Agreed, but we are back up to $4400 USD. Still, missing local file hosting (arguably the most important), phono, CD Transport/Ripper and analog performance is arguably a bit lacking compared to this.

For about the same price, you can get the X45Pro, which should beat the matrix in performance, assuming (heavy on the assumption), they implemented the ES9038PRO correctly and didn't take a step backward in the analog pipeline. And it actually looks modern and well-implemented software, unlike the old X45.

Edit: Just learned it can BURN CDs, as well as record audio to storage, and find metadata and album art via Gracenote. An insane list of features.

Maybe cocktail can send you one for review.

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Is that any good? Measurements for all the Bluesound stuff I've seen go from pretty bad to mediocre.

Top Bottom