• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CHORD Mojo 2 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 35 10.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 145 41.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 156 45.0%

• Total voters

Music1969

Major Contributor
If they’re going to offer an EQ feature at these price points, why haven’t they employed more than a four band EQ to date?
processing power. same reason RME has been stuck on its 5 bands for years... and that is even a desktop

Comparing to a Roon Core power is unfair

—where is all the money going in these Chord products?

Very good measurements other than Dave... discrete design... 3 year warranty globally... UK build

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
processing power. same reason RME has been stuck on its 5 bands for years... and that is even a desktop

Comparing to a Roon Core power is unfair

Very good measurements other than Dave... discrete design... 3 year warranty globally... UK build
Fair enough. I’m not sure the UK build impresses me so much, but perhaps my criticisms of the Mojo 2 are misplaced. My grouchiness about Chord is primarily driven by the outrageous price points of the Hugo ecosystem and the DAVE. However I do think the Mojo should have outputs that are comparable to the standards in the smart phone industry, and Micro USB fell out of favor with the prevailing brands years ago. After all it was Europe itself that managed to conquer Apple’s stalwart lightning connector (Brexit aside)! :D I’m glad you enjoy your portable and peace!

Music1969

Major Contributor
I’m not sure the UK build impresses me so much
Its not about impressing you , it is about comparing price for when you mention Topping

It is explaining all the factors that go into price

Dave is crap but is the oldest in the lineup

Everything afterwards has measured excellent by Amir - cannot be debated

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Its not about impressing you , it is about comparing price for when you mention Topping

It is explaining all the factors that go into price

Dave is crap but is the oldest in the lineup

Everything afterwards has measured excellent by Amir - cannot be debated
I want to restate my “peace” closer, it wasn’t facetious. Peace!

Rhamnetin

Fair enough. I’m not sure the UK build impresses me so much, but perhaps my criticisms of the Mojo 2 are misplaced. My grouchiness about Chord is primarily driven by the outrageous price points of the Hugo ecosystem and the DAVE. However I do think the Mojo should have outputs that are comparable to the standards in the smart phone industry, and Micro USB fell out of favor with the prevailing brands years ago. After all it was Europe itself that managed to conquer Apple’s stalwart lightning connector (Brexit aside)! :D I’m glad you enjoy your portable and peace!

The Mojo 2 added a USB-C data connection, but this isn't used for power. It is funny how clearly tacked on that USB-C connector is, since the Mojo 2 uses the Mojo 1's chassis which wasn't built with it in mind. With that being said, I have liked the Mojo 2 for the size, performance and reliability. The price isn't too bad, only the Topping G5 shows it up in that regard but that's a notoriously unreliable device. I would like to replace it with a DAP to avoid having to connect two devices together, but DAPs are a much worse value than the Mojo 2.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Mojo 2 added a USB-C data connection, but this isn't used for power. It is funny how clearly tacked on that USB-C connector is, since the Mojo 2 uses the Mojo 1's chassis which wasn't built with it in mind. With that being said, I have liked the Mojo 2 for the size, performance and reliability. The price isn't too bad, only the Topping G5 shows it up in that regard but that's a notoriously unreliable device. I would like to replace it with a DAP to avoid having to connect two devices together, but DAPs are a much worse value than the Mojo 2.
I definitely agree with you on DAPs—the idea of them is intriguing enough, but the ones I’ve purchased have been ridiculously overpriced and a royal pain to deal with. I paid some clinically insane amount for a FiiO M15 a few years back, and it came hard-encoded with a non-upgradable Android ecosystem that was about five generations out of date and glacially slow. The sound quality was nothing special, the battery life was untenable and I couldn’t so much as find a way to apply even a whiff of EQ to them—so I was stuck with this “bit perfect”, sterile sound with weak bass.

I found myself favoring my iPhone with an external DAC/amp so often that I finally sold the FiiO for a woeful fraction of what I paid for it. I tried out an Astell & Kern behemoth for a while that cost even more, and it was worse—it lacked an operating system altogether and the ordeal required to connect to a streaming service was exhausting. I pretty much think of them as a costly gimmick at this point. OK, back to the Mojo 2 now!

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Be it RPi, Mojo 2, whatever, Micro USB sucks and needs to be phased out.

Mojo 2 is transparent, but a very different if not quirky or eccentric unit. If you are OK with that, that's great.

iFi xDSD Gryphon does have the very nice and very rare option of single-end and balanced analog input. And all USB C.

If you want a new unit literally the size of a brick, then this xDuoo seems pretty tempting, but given the brand I'd like to see it measured here first:

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Be it RPi, Mojo 2, whatever, Micro USB sucks and needs to be phased out.

Mojo 2 is transparent, but a very different if not quirky or eccentric unit. If you are OK with that, that's great.

iFi xDSD Gryphon does have the very nice and very rare option of single-end and balanced analog input. And all USB C.

If you want a new unit literally the size of a brick, then this xDuoo seems pretty tempting, but given the brand I'd like to see it measured here first:

Thanks! The Gryphon also has a two phase analog EQ option in an xBass low end enhancement and a presence toggle that works similarly to a loudness function. I use the xBass constantly. It also syncs the volume function with the phone to allow you to control the volume from your device, has a full balanced architecture, separates the charging USB input from the data connection and runs from the DC battery even when plugged in. It also has a crossfeed option for hard-panned sources. Plus supports PCM 768 and DSD Direct 512 (along with full MQA decoding for those who care), and has pentaconn balanced in and out as your mentioned, and it’s true balanced.

The other nice thing about it is that it is compatible with Atmos releases regardless of what headphone is connected to the unit, from either Tidal or Apple Music. I wish they had chosen AKM or ESS over their usual Burr Brown chipset, but it sounds great to me, especially with the xBass engaged, and has a surfeit of power. It also includes their ieMatch option for very sensitive IEMs, which was highly rated here on ASR when reviewed by Amir. All at $100 less than the Mojo 2. And it’s “British”!

Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Thanks! The Gryphon also has a two phase analog EQ option in an xBass low end enhancement and a presence toggle that works similarly to a loudness function. I use the xBass constantly. It also syncs the volume function with the phone to allow you to control the volume from your device, has a full balanced architecture, separates the charging USB input from the data connection and runs from the DC battery even when plugged in. It also has a crossfeed option for hard-panned sources. Plus supports PCM 768 and DSD Direct 512 (along with full MQA decoding for those who care), and has pentaconn balanced in and out as your mentioned, and it’s true balanced.

The other nice thing about it is that it is compatible with Atmos releases regardless of what headphone is connected to the unit, from either Tidal or Apple Music. I wish they had chosen AKM or ESS over their usual Burr Brown chipset, but it sounds great to me, especially with the xBass engaged, and has a surfeit of power. It also includes their ieMatch option for very sensitive IEMs, which was highly rated here on ASR when reviewed by Amir. All at $100 less than the Mojo 2. And it’s “British”!
Pricing is rather different in the UK: the Mojo is £395 and the iFi xDSD Gryphon is £599, so the latter is 50% *more* (the xDSD *not* Gryphon is about the same as the Mojo 2).

dtaylo1066

I am tempted to buy a used Gryphon or the older Micro IDSD Black Label and also use it as a preamp in my main stereo. That way I have mobile and stationary use covered. I have a turntable that gets some use, so I need either a preamp or that rare DAC with an analog input. I also need the preamp or DAC to have XLR out to feed my DIY Hypex UCD-180 amps, which only have XLR balanced in. Yes I could get RCA to XLR cables, but that negates the true balanced benefits. Or I'd have to buy or DIY a single end to balanced converter.

I currently have an Emotiva Stealtch Dac which does have analog input and also remote control and HP amp.

I mostly stream music via Volumio running on a Tinker Board SBC through USB into the Emotiva. The Emotiva is not bad, but getting long in the tooth.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Yes I could get RCA to XLR cables, but that negates the true balanced benefits.
With the right cables, an RCA->XLR connection can be fully balanced with all the advantages of native XLR.

dtaylo1066

With the right cables, an RCA->XLR connection can be fully balanced with all the advantages of native XLR.
Yes, though one such cable system tested like poop on ASR. At any rate, a converter box is not hard to DIY whether it be SS or with transformers, and you can buy a few decent ones for less than $100.

staticV3

Master Contributor

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A 4 year old $100 Qudelix-5k has 10 band PEQ and is much smaller than this device.
A $100 android phone with a $3 media player may have 20, so what?
What Mojo2 does overall, including its tone controls, is in a different league to Q5K.
Yes I have used both! Q5K is a good device, but nothing like Mojo. Objectively on measured performance and subjectively listening to them.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Yes I have used both! Q5K is a good device, but nothing like Mojo. Objectively on measured performance and subjectively listening to them.

Uh huh...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Glad you agree. this way I don't have to quote ASR links to their measurements page.

Will that show it sounds better? Go ahead and link that. I get you like your Chord products, but if you're going to claim it sounds 'nothing like' the Q5k, maybe show up with more than unsupported claims.

Top Bottom