• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CHORD Mojo 2 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 35 10.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 145 41.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 156 45.0%

• Total voters

alekksander

it's an interesting design, quite nice specs and it's made in england. not sure if it's a good thing or not.

itcext.jpg

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last night, I picked up a Topping DX7 pro on eBay, waiting for it to arrive.
This is my first Topping highend (?) DAC , which according to Amir and others, should be a giant killer.
I no longer have a Mojo2, but I do have a Hugo2 - let's see how they compare sonically (subjectively ) for me.
I will report back.
Seems silly to reply to myself, just an attempt to remind what this post is related to.
- I am not going to elaborate too much, but I got the DX7 pro today, and I am listening to it as I write.
First impression . . . . Wow!
For what I paid for it, one hell of a steal (less than £300), but the night is still young, I give it time.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
THeir new portable is using Cirrus Logic. Maybe the start of a shift away from Burr Brown
Interesting—how do Cirrus Logic chips fare? That new portable is getting raves for what it is—FiiO just released their FA1 that seems to be in the same category, but doesn’t have iFi’s tetrad of features a lot of folks champion them for—full MQA decoding, a full-balanced 4.4 pentaconn jack, xBass ASP, and ieMatch. I’m surprised they were able to cram all those things into this dongle’s form factor.

For my purposes, I do use Tidal (along with Qobuz and highresaudio) for streaming, so I have use for the MQA (purists, forgive me, I’m fully aware of the despotic nature of Meridian). I chose my iFi Pro iCAN Signature amp largely due to the analog bass boost, which I like for the genres of music I listen to (and that piece has yet to be subjected to Amir’s tests). I have all pentaconn connectors on my headphones, so that’s also a plus. And the ieMatch technology solved major problems for me with my most sensitive cans, and it’s one of the few iFi products for which Amir gave a rave awhile back (that sort of came and went unnoticed).

I already have the xDSD Gryphon so I have little use for this new Go Bar. But if this change to more state of the art DAC chips raises their game for them, I’d be happy. They seem to have moved away from all their prior power cleansing junk they historically emphasized, and have released a slew of affordable DAC/amps over the last couple of years with nice features. As a company, I have some affection for them for some reason. I’d like to see them move up in stature in terms of performance, because I think their aims and price points are unusually honest.

And their Zen Stream,in my opinion, is the best streamer currently on the market for all of $399–I use it with Roon and as an endpoint it is flawless. Why anyone pays twice as much for a BlueSound that is certificate junk, or thousands for offerings from NAIM, Cambridge, Cocktail, dCS et al completely baffles me—the streamer market has got to be the most insidious in the snake oil department, and at present iFi is the sole honest player.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Interesting—how do Cirrus Logic chips fare?
Can't generalise. Depends on exactly which chip.

The Burr Browns they've been using had SINAD approx 100dB

There are some CL chips with same performance , some with better than 110dB

We'll have to wait till the new iFi is measured

Moderate Dionysianism

Wild guess, but could this be something as stupid as an imperial/metric mistake? The full-size TRS is ¼" or exactly 6.35 mm. The mini is specified as 3.5 mm, but is often called ⅛", which is actually 3.175 mm. Put a ⅛" plug in a 3.5 mm socket and you have a loose fit.

All the headphones I mentioned are from EU distribution so I wouldn't suspect that to be the case. Besides, isn't there like a worldwide standard? These connectors have been around for decades. Still, I'll dig out the caliper and try to measure the jacks, might be interesting. Thanks for the tip!

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
All the headphones I mentioned are from EU distribution so I wouldn't suspect that to be the case. Besides, isn't there like a worldwide standard? These connectors have been around for decades. Still, I'll dig out the caliper and try to measure the jacks, might be interesting. Thanks for the tip!
You would think so. I was only trying a wild guess as to why the fit was loose.

modder-6

Hi. I don't understand the use of the charts like this:
index.php

if an $800 device is in the middle and much down than other cheaper ones.
what parameters should I check if I look for clear and detailed sound. Texture and not colored sound. Mostly for speaker like could be ruark mr1 or vifa copenhagen. Some DAc amp with those qualities and maybe better than the khadas tone 2 or questyle M15. Any recommendation?

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi. I don't understand the use of the charts like this:
index.php

if an $800 device is in the middle and much down than other cheaper ones.
what parameters should I check if I look for clear and detailed sound. Texture and not colored sound. Mostly for speaker like could be ruark mr1 or vifa copenhagen. Some DAc amp with those qualities and maybe better than the khadas tone 2 or questyle M15. Any recommendation?
I agree, that chart is misleading.
Some of those measurements are historic values, and not all were obtained under identical conditions. Take a comparison between DX3 pro and DX7 pro - although DX7 pro is the upper model and has tested better in every department, yet in this particular chart it seems DX3 pro did considerably better! I doubt it.
There are no combination of charts and numbers that can tell for sure which one sounds better to your ears. The tests are measurements can reveal the quality of design and manufacturing that has gone into a device, or if they missed something, basically if there is a flaw in the device.
It is not a 2+2=4, different parameters affect final sound quality in different ways, and past a certain goal-post some measurements become irrelevant, such a total noise for example, say a DAC with -150dB noise, does not necessarily sound better than a device with -130dB noise.
Use the measurement results and Amir's conclusions (he can comprehend the data and explain their relevance), as a guide as to what devices to Avoid ! And which ones to audition.
If a device has substandard lab test results, but many reviewers praise its magical sound, don't believe them. On the other hand, if a device is reported to have lovely subjective sound quality, and it has passed lab tests with flying colours, then Audition that one to make sure you agree.

modder-6

Some of those measurements are historic values, and not all were obtained under identical conditions. Take a comparison between DX3 pro and DX7 pro - although DX7 pro is the upper model and has tested better in every department, yet in this particular chart it seems DX3 pro did considerably better! I doubt it.
There are no combination of charts and numbers that can tell for sure which one sounds better to your ears. The tests are measurements can reveal the quality of design and manufacturing that has gone into a device, or if they missed something, basically if there is a flaw in the device.
It is not a 2+2=4, different parameters affect final sound quality in different ways, and past a certain goal-post some measurements become irrelevant, such a total noise for example, say a DAC with -150dB noise, does not necessarily sound better than a device with -130dB noise.
Use the measurement results and Amir's conclusions (he can comprehend the data and explain their relevance), as a guide as to what devices to Avoid ! And which ones to audition.
If a device has substandard lab test results, but many reviewers praise its magical sound, don't believe them. On the other hand, if a device is reported to have lovely subjective sound quality, and it has passed lab tests with flying colours, then Audition that one to make sure you agree.
Nice piece of advice. Many thanks.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Take a comparison between DX3 pro and DX7 pro - although DX7 pro is the upper model and has tested better in every department, yet in this particular chart it seems DX3 pro did considerably better! I doubt it.
In that one limited test (snr at low output 50mv) the version of dx3 referred to there did do better than whatever model of dx7 Pro that was. But no, that doesn't mean it was the better device overall. The chart isn't misleading in the slightest. It's just of limited use.

Nice one.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In that one limited test (snr at low output 50mv) the version of dx3 referred to there did do better than whatever model of dx7 Pro that was. But no, that doesn't mean it was the better device overall. The chart isn't misleading in the slightest. It's just of limited use.
Beggar's belief.
It is unlikely that Topping would make & design two products in the same range, one being top of that range, the other bottom of the range - and in tests the higher model should test better in all but one test that Amir did (the above), not side by side, but two years apart. If the differences were small, yeah maybe, but 88dB against 81dB?
My money is on some unknown variable. No test result is set in stone.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Beggar's belief.
It is unlikely that Topping would make & design two products in the same range, one being top of that range, the other bottom of the range - and in tests the higher model should test better in all but one test that Amir did (the above), not side by side, but two years apart. If the differences were small, yeah maybe, but 88dB against 81dB?
My money is on some unknown variable. No test result is set in stone.
It's the dx3 Pro +. Very recent device. Dx7 Pro not updated for quite a while.

So what is it, the measurement that must be wrong, or the use /interpretation of the data?

donunus

What color in the volume control is 2V out? I saw a chart saying its the color just above blue while somewhere else someone said thet blue is 2V.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
In link below scroll down to post #4588 to see volume colour chart, its 3 button taps down from max volume

link to volume colour chart

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What color in the volume control is 2V out? I saw a chart saying its the color just above blue while somewhere else someone said thet blue is 2V.
Forgive me if I am answering the wrong question. With my Qutest the voltage colours are red 1 volt, green 2 and blue 3.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last night, I picked up a Topping DX7 pro on eBay, waiting for it to arrive.
This is my first Topping highend (?) DAC , which according to Amir and others, should be a giant killer.
I no longer have a Mojo2, but I do have a Hugo2 - let's see how they compare sonically (subjectively ) for me.
I will report back.
OK, I took almost 2 weeks to make sure what I am about to say, I am certain of.
Before I get jumped at, the following is a totally sighted, not level matched impression of my two weeks with Topping DX7 pro compared to a Chord Hugo2 - so if it offends the scientists out there, you can stop reading now!
I apologize to moderators if this seems to be off-topic, but Hugo2 is similar to Mojo2, both from the same stable, I have heard both, they are similar sounding, Hugo2 being the much more expensive brother, retailing at £1800 (UK) compared to Mojo2 at £450, so exactly four times!
- First, my impression of the DX7 pro.
I picked this one up in almost NEW condition at under £300 (New about £550-600) a bargain! To see what the hype (according to ASR and others) is all about. This device has been tested and measured here, just do a search. Needless to say, it has achieved some of the best results, noise and distortion figures (any and all) were all in super inaudible region, no jitter, no nothing (incidentally same goes for Hugo2).
All my auditioning was done through speakers, not the headphone outputs (direct to a Meridian 556 power amp, modified Sonus Faber speakers sitting on massive granite platforms), I also used a Topping HS01 USB galvanic isolator to make sure, if there are any noise from my PC, it wouldn't get into the DACs (I hope!).
DX7 pro sounded WOW from the word go! Its main character (if any) is an effortless, organic sound, very easy listening, totally inoffensive and smooth. It plays everything well, from not-so-well recorded classical stuff from 50s to best recorded Hi-Res material from pop, rock and jazz. I even listened to some heavy synth material, even though that is not my cup of tea. I can not praise it enough. It looks good, is well-made and looks the part.
I may have a few minor gripes with it, such as the remote! You need to aim it at the device, or it won't function. My TV remote works, if I aim it at any wall, even the ceiling!
It has seven filters, that are extremely difficult to tell apart, so I don't see the point of them. If I really stress myself, I think I preferred filter 4, but I am sure in a blind test, I couldn't tell.
When you have such a high end DAC, switching to BT is a major climb down, even with the highest setting on LDAC. All life gets sucked out of music, and at best you get, is a car radio sound! Not Topping's fault, but BT on a hi-end DAC is a gimmick.
- Comparison to Hugo2
I am pretty certain I could tell them apart in a blind test 90% of the time, they sound different.
First impression after switching to Hugo2 (never did A/B quick switching) was the impression that there was more of everything, as though it was louder! For the lack of a better explanation. I deliberately turned the volume down to a lower level I usually listen at, and still there was more of everything.
Bandwidth seemed more extended. I know it shouldn't 't be, but on some "Buddha Bar" tracks with subsonic synth bass, the room was shaking, I had an ear pop (like being on a plane) but I couldn't really hear much bass, just felt the effects. The same track, on DX7 pro, seemed to have a little more audible bass but hardly any room shake.
My room has a bass boom at about 75Hz, so I have a sharp notch filter (75Hz Q6 -8dB) to null it out. On DX7 pro it was -8dB, on Hugo2 I had to push it down to -12dB and more. Hugo2 sound seem to emanate not directly from the speakers, but from around it, it has an out-of-box effect. Musicians in a complex passage are more solidly fixed to their locations, not wandering about.
Also, on Hugo2 even a 1 or 2dB EQ is discernable, with DX7 pro, it was neither here nor there, specially on anything past 9kHz. Hugo2 pretty much didn't need any EQ on any recording, but with DX7 pro sometimes I felt the need to add a little more crispness, so I had programmed in a high shelf filter at 11500 Hz 3dB to switch in and out depending on recording.
DX7 pro cons:
Hardly any! Remote control had issues, I think all the filters and even BT are just a gimmick.
Smooth to a fault, a little glossed over.
Hugo2 cons:
Demands of you to sit up and pay attention! Not as smooth as DX7 pro. Depending on recording, can sound a little harsh.
I would like to say it sounds Raw, but that could be a plus point.
With DX7 pro you could listen to background music for hours, no fatigue - Hugo2 is not for background music listening! Even at low volumes, it demands attention, which can be disturbing.
As per DX7 pro, the low bitrate BT and the filters are useless, though on Headphones the filters have a miniscule effect, perhaps so does DX7 pro?

You could say Hugo2 was a more mature DX7 pro, but it costs about three times! But it is transportable!
For desktop use, DX7 pro is better value for sure.
If you need to take it on the road (no, not jogging!) or need ultimate sound quality, and you got the dosh! Then go for it - I warn you, it is addictive as hell.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Before I get jumped at, the following is a totally sighted, not level matched impression of my two weeks with Topping DX7 pro compared to a Chord Hugo2 - so if it offends the scientists out there, you can stop reading now!

No one is going to be offended, but why not try to actually perform a comparison that is more likely to mean something? Do you really feel that you are special enough to be immune to bias?

I am pretty certain I could tell them apart in a blind test 90% of the time, they sound different.

That's not the same as actually doing it.

Claims abounding...zero evidence of anything.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Everyone believes this until... you do the test.

Headamp output impedance of the Topping is much higher than Hugo2 though.

The type of headphones (impedance) can be a factor.

Top Bottom