• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CHORD M-Scaler Review (Upsampler)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 358 88.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 28 6.9%

• Total voters

pma

Major Contributor
I think the misunderstanding is based on the fact that we need >2 samples related to the highest frequency that occurs in a waveform. Natural sound wave has rather transient character and its frequency components go behind the 20 kHz audio band “limit” , so the accurate record and reconstruction needs appropriate sampling frequency. 96 kHz is usually enough, 44.1kHz is definitely not enough to get accurate sound record. Same applies to playback. Please note I am saying nothing about audibility.

Scientific link on audibility

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
I was literally banned just based on my 4 posts on this site, with no contact or explanation.

The thing with Amir is that it's his way or the highway. I've noticed that if someone like me posts a viewpoint that doesn't necessarily agree with his, and it starts getting some likes, he just bans that person. This just shows his true colors. He doesn't like and cannot handle when someone points out any error in his ways.

I had to create this account just to post this and it will probably also be banned. Just thought folks should be aware and have their eyes open at the utter lack of impartiality on audiosciencereview.

View attachment 217285View attachment 217288
I can see why though. You are both pulling the "it's like vinyl" card and the I admit, a bit more original "it's like a video upscaler" card. Both have no real scientific basis and are just stirring the pot, welcoming more bickering on these subjects. They are not necessary on an m-scaler review, you didn't refute any of the malfunctions Amir noted nor did you add anything of substance to the discussion. So you were seen as a troll account.

And let me note: you did not get banned for simply mentioning you liked the M-Scaler. That by itself is hardly enough.

Laphr

I can see why though. You are both pulling the "it's like vinyl" card and the I admit, a bit more original "it's like a video upscaler" card. Both have no real scientific basis and are just stirring the pot, welcoming more bickering on these subjects. They are not necessary on an m-scaler review, you didn't refute any of the malfunctions Amir noted nor did you add anything of substance to the discussion. So you were seen as a troll account.

And let me note: you did not get banned for simply mentioning you liked the M-Scaler. That by itself is hardly enough.
Nono, this is not how things are done. Let's take an example like Russia, if they make a move on Ukraine then You calculate the artillery, what has been moved to where, what has been used and where, what are the locations and consequences. Literally, as a fact You take them.

Mediahound post was doing no harm, dumb comment yes, but not harmfull and I would simply glance over it as if nothing. And he used 'maybe vinyl'.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was literally banned just based on my 4 posts on this site, with no contact or explanation.

The thing with Amir is that it's his way or the highway. I've noticed that if someone like me posts a viewpoint that doesn't necessarily agree with his, and it starts getting some likes, he just bans that person. This just shows his true colors. He doesn't like and cannot handle when someone points out any error in his ways.

I had to create this account just to post this and it will probably also be banned. Just thought folks should be aware and have their eyes open at the utter lack of impartiality on audiosciencereview.

View attachment 217285View attachment 217288
OK. Let's put this another way. What did you create the mediahound account for? Because it looks from those posts like its to either directly refute something Amir has said, or offer a contrary view to a view or conclusion he has made.

I can see how that could be viewed as troll like behaviour.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
FYI. Mediahound’’s account was given a 24 hr time out. It should have expired around 0900 today. Then he creates this Shadow account “which is a perm ban offense in it’s own right” and started posting about being banned. So yeah, he not a problem member at all. Just doing normal stuff and we are simply out to get him. :facepalm:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
FYI. Mediahound’’s account was given a 24 hr time out. It should have expired around 0900 today. Then he creates this Shadow account “which is a perm ban offense in it’s own right” and started posting about being banned. So yeah, he not a problem member at all. Just doing normal stuff and we are simply out to get him. :facepalm:
Just to get this clear: he was told he was given a 24h timeout, and also given a reason for this?

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Just to get this clear: he was told he was given a 24h timeout, and also given a reason for this?
We do not discuss all the specifics of Moderation actions. You will just have to come to your own conclusions here.

Damned if we do and damned if we don’t. We get accused of being too lenient with Trolls and then we get accused of being too short fused. We make these decisions all day every day in a very fluid environment. Trying to maintain a balance of productive and social conversation. We get constant hourly attacks from every direction from pure advertising Spam accounts to bad actor accounts who come here just to troll and cause mayhem.

On edit: During the time it took me to type the above. We had two separate accounts created the first one 1st post was about Erectile dysfunction and the second account was an advert for CBD Gummies. Coincidence? I think not. ;)

Last edited:

Geert

Major Contributor
This forum contains hundreds of pages of what after lengthy discussions with long time members wasting tons of energy turns out to be trolling. These pages are still there for everyone to see, and proof no one gets banned just for having a different opinion. Now we have one troll complaining on another forum and everything gets questioned? Let's keep it real please.

Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
OK, I spent a bit of time and figured out the incompatibility problem with Topping D70s. Here is the eye pattern of the Audio Precision APx555 S/PDIF output (configured for "consumer" levels):

At the bottom the scope has computed the peak to peak voltage of about 0.55 volts. S/PDIF spec calls for 0.5 to 0.6 volt so we are compliant.

Now see what happens when I measure the output of M-Scaler:

It is three times higher at 1.84 volts! Yes, this is terminated into 75 ohm on the scope side.

The much higher output voltage is overdriving the Topping D70s S/PDIF input causing problems. Some DACs will not care (I tested Gustard and it was fine). But others will not.
This is certainly interesting. However, not a real proof that the S/PDIF signal level was a root of a problem with the D70. As a proof, you would need to attenuate the S/PDIF swing to 0.6V by means of a voltage divider and then, only then if the issue has disappeared, you might have said it was the issue without any doubts. As of now, it is only a hypothesis.

sq225917

Major Contributor
It's a good one based on the very same thing having caused issues with other dacs previously

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is certainly interesting. However, not a real proof that the S/PDIF signal level was a root of a problem with the D70. As a proof, you would need to attenuate the S/PDIF swing to 0.6V by means of a voltage divider and then, only then if the issue has disappeared, you might have said it was the issue without any doubts. As of now, it is only a hypothesis.
It is a fact that output levels are illegal. That is a problem to be fixed. What problem it caused fir d70s was just a clue to find this issue. This issue is now much larger than what happened to d70s.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
It is a fact that output levels are illegal. That is a problem to be fixed. What problem it caused fir d70s was just a clue to find this issue. This issue is now much larger than what happened to d70s.
Still, we haven’t established a causal link between the out of spec signal coming out of the M Scaler and the raised distortion level coming out of the D70. Attenuating the S/PDIF signal before entering the D70 would be a logical next step in the experimentation.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Still, we haven’t established a causal link between the out of spec signal coming out of the M Scaler and the raised distortion level coming out of the D70. Attenuating the S/PDIF signal before entering the D70 would be a logical next step in the experimentation.
My job is to be a reviewer. Company needs to investigate, not me.

Katji

Major Contributor
They don't care, or they'd have done better R&D in the first place. They seem to have been more concerned with the marketing material.

Top Bottom