• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CHORD Hugo TT2 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 82 22.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 126 34.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 123 33.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 34 9.3%

• Total voters

Music1969

Major Contributor
There is not.
You hookup headphones to XLR at the back, with proper cables/adapters.

It will drive headphones (near zero output impedance) directly.

It will even drive high efficiency speakers directly.

Cars-N-Cans

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So what do they mean in the specs by
"Balanced 18W 8Ohm" ?

View attachment 226285
You hookup headphones to XLR at the back, with proper cables/adapters.

It will drive headphones (near zero output impedance) directly.

It will even drive high efficiency speakers directly.
From their users guide:

"Please note that once the Hugo TT 2 enters Amplification Mode, 8W on RCA and 20W on XLR, the rated spec is 7W/8 RCA and 18/8 (XLR balanced)."

And more...

"This enormous power reserve is available thanks to a very high power discrete output stage and super-caps to supply huge dynamic currents."

Looking at the specs the thing provides a staggering 18W RMS into an 8 ohm load. Seems all its really missing is an adapter to convert the TRS to Speakon connectors and they can market it as an amp as well! Bet it would get toasty piping hot, though.

On a more practical note, not sure why anyone would really want something like that powering headphones. While I kind of like Michael Jackson, emulating his Pepsi commercial moment after it all goes horribly wrong is another thing entirely. I usually buy amplifiers with the assumption that at some point, it will inevitably end up at 0 dBFS and full output, so I don't like buying more watts than I'm prepared to be exposed to.
You have to use the rear XLR outputs and change a setting on it to get that power.

I use a Schiit Ragnarok 2 for my headphone (and speaker) amp which puts out even more power. I just have to be careful to turn the volume down before connecting a new headphone to it.

Cars-N-Cans

You have to use the rear XLR outputs and change a setting on it to get that power.

I use a Schiit Ragnarok 2 for my headphone (and speaker) amp which puts out even more power. I just have to be careful to turn the volume down before connecting a new headphone to it.
My concern would be either making a mistake, or hooking it to a source with a DC offset issue. The amp failing and getting stuck at one of the rails would be another potential calamity, and I'm not sure they bother to really have any protections in place. On my Schiit headphone amp, despite all the clicky noises from the relay, it has no DC servoing or compensation, so it passes DC straight out to the headphones, a near disaster when I was going to use it with a computer if I had not measured the output first. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with having power reserve, but hopefully the higher output amps have the necessary accoutrements to accommodate it.

DonR

Major Contributor
An excellent SOTA product (minus the headphone amp) from Chord Electronics. Shame about the price.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just entirely too expensive for what it is. As good as the numbers are, Topping's are even better. Could buy an A90D, a D90 and still have enough left over for a pair of Dan Clark Stealth's. Or if your taste's run to speakers this is pretty close to Kef LS 60 money, or March Sointuva's + a Purif Amp and any number of world class $200-400 Dacs. There are just so many better ways to spend your audio budget.

And on the design front, the whole thing looks like a sheet of aluminum foil shaped on some kind of vaccum forming machine.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
costs US $6,725
Ah... simply not justifiable at all. :facepalm:
Confusing light show
This comment reminded me of;

FailingSelfishDogfish-size_restricted.gif

Thanks for testing this unit Amir and showing the more detailed "time domain" results.

JSmith

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at the specs the thing provides a staggering 18W RMS into an 8 ohm load. Seems all its really missing is an adapter to convert the TRS to Speakon connectors and they can market it as an amp as well! Bet it would get toasty piping hot, though.

On a more practical note, not sure why anyone would really want something like that powering headphones. While I kind of like Michael Jackson, emulating his Pepsi commercial moment after it all goes horribly wrong is another thing entirely. I usually buy amplifiers with the assumption that at some point, it will inevitably end up at 0 dBFS and full output, so I don't like buying more watts than I'm prepared to be exposed to.
It's amazing they have never been hit with a product liability lawsuit for blowing out someone's ear drums.

Cars-N-Cans

It's amazing they have never been hit with a product liability lawsuit for blowing out someone's ear drums.
Its got a spicy power supply internally for a headphone amp. Looks like they are kicking it up to at least 24V inside to give it the needed output swing (and probably to also help control the inrush current at turn-on).

formdissolve

Forum Donor
I love how everyone accuses @amirm of "hating" Chord, despite the fact that he actually has recommended the recently released Mojo 2 and the Qutest from some years ago. Both good performance for good prices.

With Dave, Hugo 2, and now this, you get pretty good to excellent performance (in some tests) for multiple thousands of dollars more than something with equal or better performance. That's where the issue is that most people have in my opinion, in addition to the wild marketing claims made by the Company.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
I think that when you got the audibility metrics in check, which pretty much anybody and his mother can do nowadays, the only thing you can think of to be special or hi end or boutique or whatever we want to call it. is to shoot for superlatives, like crazy power specs or overkill over engineered stuff like reconstruction filters or such. That’s unfortunate but there is no way around it. What would you guys go for if you wanted to put out a DAC amp 10 times the price Asia big guns can produce? Seriously wondering… Not that it’s a good thing but where do you go when transparency have been achieved for years?

Lukino

Diligent work of Amir measurement. We thank you. The measurement reveals that even Chord can produce a measurably high-quality product. Like PS AUDIO, it's not all bad. However, these companies use their name and will also launch marketing products that will bring in quick money. Measuring makes shopping much easier. If it were only on human hearing, we would hardly detect real engineering. This product, if the price does not play a role, will meet expectations.:)

Garrincha

I think that when you got the audibility metrics in check, which pretty much anybody and his mother can do nowadays, the only thing you can think of to be special or hi end or boutique or whatever we want to call it. is to shoot for superlatives, like crazy power specs or overkill over engineered stuff like reconstruction filters or such. That’s unfortunate but there is no way around it. What would you guys go for if you wanted to put out a DAC amp 10 times the price Asia big guns can produce? Seriously wondering… Not that it’s a good thing but where do you go when transparency have been achieved for years?
Either producing moderately priced gear with ever slightly improving specs and features or trying to cater the audiophools with special design (sometimes good, sometimes hideous) and making lofty claims about effects nobody ever could hear but are also impossible to disprove by measurements and deny any blind tests.

YSC

Major Contributor
Price aside it did perform on the absolute basis, for those who can afford, if the brand gave them extra status or say, visual entertainment, no harm for that

PeteL

Major Contributor
Either producing moderately priced gear with ever slightly improving specs and features or trying to cater the audiophools with special design (sometimes good, sometimes hideous) and making lofty claims about effects nobody ever could hear but are also impossible to disprove by measurements and deny any blind tests.
Features, yes, but specs? Which spec need to be improved? This product does improve a couple specs from what's on the market. Power mainly. For "moderately priced" I think I disagree. Once it's settled that you can't compete in price for what you offer, wheter it's 170% or 1700% don't matter much. In both case you don't compete and you won't sell much. Might as well go for the very high and at least if you sell a few everybody gets paid.

Last edited:

digicidal

Major Contributor
Features, yes, but specs? Which spec need to be improved? This product does improve a couple specs from what's on the market. Power mainly. For "moderately priced" I think I disagree. Once it's settled that you can't compete in price for what you offer, wheter it's 170% or 1700% don't matter much. In both case you don't compete and you won't sell much. Might as well go for the very high and at least if you sell a few everybody gets paid.
Not to mention that based on the aesthetics alone... mass production on the order required to make the same amount of profit if the sales price was reduced by 90% would likely be difficult. Of course, for myself... I'll take "ugly black box" for $400 all day long for the difference in price - but at least this isn't a huge loss in performance to get the kitschy styling. Some of their other offerings are more of a lose-lose proposition.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Not to mention that based on the aesthetics alone... mass production on the order required to make the same amount of profit if the sales price was reduced by 90% would likely be difficult. Of course, for myself... I'll take "ugly black box" for $400 all day long for the difference in price - but at least this isn't a huge loss in performance to get the kitschy styling. Some of their other offerings are more of a lose-lose proposition.
Generally speaking, I agree fully. But me personally I am not found of the Chord design language. But it's just me and yes I would pay considerably more for an object I find beautiful.

Jasperous

I have a distaste for Chord products as well, they have just the most terrible 90s future-fi design that makes them so much harder to use and they have no value. Topping destroys this thing at 300 USD with the G5, or the EX5.

Top Bottom