• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Carver Crimson 275 Review (Tube Amp)

Rate this amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 379 95.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.3%

• Total voters

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sort of like this?

View attachment 182927

Orange Empire Railway Museum. This is a DC power station for the trolleys; the Tool Shed amp would fit right in. :cool:
Old electrical installations are so interesting. I've been in 2 hydroelectric dams that are pretty old and everything still works and is used for generating electricity for small cities in Canada. The 2 cities actually bought the dams and manage them as power companies under the municipality governance.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Old electrical installations are so interesting. I've been in 2 hydroelectric dams that are pretty old and everything still works and is used for generating electricity for small cities in Canada. The 2 cities actually bought the dams and manage them as power companies under the municipality governance.
I've seen some from the 1950s, and what interested me was they had some basic logic control. All done via relays in a big matrixed relay panel. Sort of what PLC's do without the PLC.

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think these are magnificent creations, they'd be worth having for looks alone, and hide the actual amplifier in use if necessary haha! Check out the robust build quality!

a934acf04a01086ff311481cf32eab16--hifi-audio-turntable.jpg

Line Magnetic 219IA black.jpg

OMG lol.jpg

Western Electric replica or something haha.jpg
29abd4a2c06e81db9a1fdf8a7b53aabd.jpg

Stunning.gif

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Vintage. I thought from the new looking condition this stuff is esoteric contemporary stuff. :D Whatever it is it makes me want tubes. :D
One of the amps have what appears to be a DIN plug, which doesn't jive with 1930 Western Electric Big Wires. ;)

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Thread Notice: No Covid content period. You guys know better. If your post was deleted take that as your first warning. Please stop. Thank you kindly Gentleman.

AudioTodd

This thread has become so large it is hard to track down some of the posts. If anyone has been able to follow the whole thing and knows or can quickly find and share the number of the posts of the dealer(s?), Bob Carver or the supposed manufacturer such information would be much appreciated. I would be curious to cut through the random and lengthy chatter to see what those who should be standing behind this piece have to say. It might be too tall a task, though!!

vkhong

This thread has become so large it is hard to track down some of the posts. If anyone has been able to follow the whole thing and knows or can quickly find and share the number of the posts of the dealer(s?), Bob Carver or the supposed manufacturer such information would be much appreciated. I would be curious to cut through the random and lengthy chatter to see what those who should be standing behind this piece have to say. It might be too tall a task, though!!

One can search this thread by member name, eg, Bob Carver, Jim Clark, EJ Sarmento, and any other members of interest such as amirm or paulbottlehead.

1643506271013.png

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
If someone wants to post the links to Bob, etc., I can add them to the review.

(the Jim Clark posts)

AudioTodd

One can search this thread by member name, eg, Bob Carver, Jim Clark, EJ Sarmento, and any other members of interest such as amirm or paulbottlehead.

View attachment 183032
Thanks - main issue was that I did not know all of the names and had missed several days, meaning ???? posts or pages of posts. When I checked in I would see someone talk about what someone had posted without referencing the post number or the name of the poster. A list of the user names of the relevant "authorities" on this amp would be helpful. I know Bob and Clark, but do not know Sarmento or who might have posted from any other dealers or people involved.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I was feeling too lazy to enumerate all of Jim Clark's posts, but I changed my mind! :)
I am nothing if not inconsistent.

Thanks. I added these as well.

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
One of the amps have what appears to be a DIN plug, which doesn't jive with 1930 Western Electric Big Wires. ;)

The Феликс (Felix) unit is actually a computer case, not an amp, but I love the look of it haha!

Those "Western Electric" units are all modern, I think, and were made by Line Magnetic (there is also one of their non-replica models in my post above, with the Line Magnetic branding on it). They made a lot of really beautiful-looking gear. I have never heard any of it, so I have no clue as to the sound quality (or safety, to bring this on-topic to the thread at hand haha). They've also done replicas of some of the old Western Electric and Altec loudspeakers.

I had planned at some point on buying the Carver Raven 275, but kept putting it off since I didn't need it, and prioritized finishing my music collection (well, catching up on everything on my wishlist, but occasionally something new comes along to add to the list, mostly from BIS these days). The Carver has somewhat of a classic look, and the price wasn't as crazy (to me) as most of the tube amps I fantasized about owning for aesthetic reasons haha. Well, it's probably best I kept delaying, in light of these tests of the "Crimson" version, sadly. So I guess now if the day comes that I decide to be frivolous, I'll look into Cayin, whose gear is quite beautiful in my eyes, and is safe as far as I know. They certainly pay attention to cosmetic detail, one hopes they put similar care into safety and general build.

cayin-cs-55a-kt-88.jpg

$2000 for this one!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Феликс (Felix) unit is actually a computer case, not an amp, but I love the look of it haha!

Those "Western Electric" units are all modern, I think, and were made by Line Magnetic (there is also one of their non-replica models in my post above, with the Line Magnetic branding on it). They made a lot of really beautiful-looking gear. I have never heard any of it, so I have no clue as to the sound quality (or safety, to bring this on-topic to the thread at hand haha). They've also done replicas of some of the old Western Electric and Altec loudspeakers.

I had planned at some point on buying the Carver Raven 275, but kept putting it off since I didn't need it, and prioritized finishing my music collection (well, catching up on everything on my wishlist, but occasionally something new comes along to add to the list, mostly from BIS these days). The Carver has somewhat of a classic look, and the price wasn't as crazy (to me) as most of the tube amps I fantasized about owning for aesthetic reasons haha. Well, it's probably best I kept delaying, in light of these tests of the "Crimson" version, sadly. So I guess now if the day comes that I decide to be frivolous, I'll look into Cayin, whose gear is quite beautiful in my eyes, and is safe as far as I know. They certainly pay attention to cosmetic detail, one hopes they put similar care into safety and general build.

View attachment 183044
$2000 for this one!
Dangit. I mean it! Stop posting tube pron! I might want to get one and actually get serious about it. :facepalm:

Top Bottom