• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Carver Crimson 275 Review (Tube Amp)

Rate this amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 379 95.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.3%

• Total voters

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
We really should ship thousands of these unsafe amplifiers to Ukraine so that they can be thrown at invading forces to shock them into retreat - probably more lethal than many other munitions, and probably cheaper too. An added bonus is that the 15w transformers make them light enough to chuck over long distances, making them far superior and more practical than a vintage McIntosh MC275 would be for this use. :rolleyes::facepalm:
Launch them with a trebuchet. :D

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Launch them with a trebuchet. :D

You know a thread has run its course when videos of trebuchets, or pictures of bacon appear...

1643421562976.png

jjptkd

We really should ship thousands of these unsafe amplifiers to Ukraine so that they can be thrown at invading forces to shock them into retreat - probably more lethal than many other munitions, and probably cheaper too. An added bonus is that the 15w transformers make them light enough to chuck over long distances, making them far superior and more practical than a vintage McIntosh MC275 would be for this use. :rolleyes::facepalm:
Nothing says science based objective web reviews like this right here but I'm pulled aside and cautioned when giving first hand experience with the test piece? What have you made in your life that is half as good as this Carver amp? I'll wait...

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Nothing says science based objective web reviews like this right here but I'm pulled aside and cautioned when giving first hand experience with the test piece? What have you made in your life that is half as good as this Carver amp? I'll wait...
(A) It's a joke (mostly).
(B) He works for ATI, a reasonably well-regarded amplifier company in its own right. So you shouldn't have to wait long...

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Taking out the trash bins? You'd think he'd have a little more respect if anyone of importance sorry.
More respect for whom? Carver? McIntosh? Ukraine? And, as opposed to your post denigrating him without any knowledge of his level of expertise?

But, as a matter of fact, I do need to go take out the trash, thanks for the reminder.

Yeesh.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I'm an engineer at a audio power amp/processor manufacturer. I've contributed to plenty of amps which I would humbly suggest are better than the subject piece, and have real earth ground schemes with safety certifications to boot. Oh, and handily meet their published specs with no fudging/voodoo required.

At any rate, my post was lampooning the safety ground issue, and a possible way to exploit it. I don't think you could find anybody who would try to justify the grounding scheme as optimum for safety, and it has been admitted that the amp uses under-speced 15 watt output transformers in what is advertised as a 75+ watt amplifier. Not cool.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
But, as a matter of fact, I do need to go take out the trash, thanks for the reminder.

Yeesh.

You just jogged my memory that I haven't brought in our trash cans from today's collection. :(

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Carver could have put some EL84's in another box on the surface to provide the 15 watts. Then put some exposed big power tubes, and just lit the filaments. That way the big tubes really would last 50 years or whatever the claim. I guess they still wouldn't be self-repairing.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I guess they still wouldn't be self-repairing.

I'd really like to see a tube do a self-repair on it's burned out filament. :oops:

By the way, if I seem a bit more snarky this last week, its because I came down with Covid on Monday, but I'm pretty much symptom free now (Friday). Wednesday was, uh, painful. :facepalm:

Be safe, y'all. I was being exceptionally safe and triple vaxxed, but it still got me. It ain't over till the fat virus sings.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd really like to see a tube do a self-repair on it's burned out filament. :oops:

By the way, if I seem a bit more snarky this last week, its because I came down with Covid on Monday, but I'm pretty much symptom free now (Friday). Wednesday was, uh, painful. :facepalm:

Be safe, y'all. I was being exceptionally safe and triple vaxxed, but it still got me. It ain't over till the fat virus sings.
Speedy rebound for you I hope.

Maybe the Carver Crimson is the 1st amp with an immune system that can repair damage.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Speedy rebound for you I hope.

Maybe the Carver Crimson is the 1st amp with an immune system that can repair damage.
So far recovery is almost there, just a little residual sore throat and a bit of a cough, but way, way, way less than mid-week. Never got a really high fever.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Gosh, that is terrible. Hope you fully recover very soon.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
To bad Omicron has a negative connotation now because that's actually a quite catchy name for an amp.

I can't stop seeing OMRON (as in relays)

All they need to do is add an IC division and they have a perfect name.

Top Bottom