• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Carver Crimson 275 Review (Tube Amp)

Rate this amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 379 95.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.3%

• Total voters

Larry B. Larabee

How would this be relevant
Simply to hear someone say 'and it sounds like a peice of shit, too'.
And risk blowing a 4th fuse :oops:?
After the first fuse blew I would have searched around for a slow-blow, maybe even 4A, just for testing.
There's no way the 3A would blow listening to music.

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Listen to it? Why do that? Audio Science Review is about sine waves and powering resistors, not music powering loudspeakers.
If its cheap and built to test good, its golden, no need to be musical. Audio reviews without listening. If you don't actually listen to an audio product in a review, your name might be more accurately called Resistor Science Review. Never had a 275 returned for lack of power making music. People that use it with music, powering speakers love them.
Dude. Really?

An experienced dealer like yourself realises that sound reproduction is based on physics. Measurements establish whether the never changing, basic laws of physics (or electroacoustics, if you want to be fancy) for good sound reproduction have been followed.

People like their music to sound like it left the studio. ASR is there to establish whether that's happening. Looks like this particular amplifier doesn't meet the critieria.

Not much to quibble.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Simply to hear someone say 'and it sounds like a peice of shit, too'.

After the first fuse blew I would have searched around for a slow-blow, maybe even 4A, just for testing.
There's no way the 3A would blow listening to music.
If the power transformer is as badly specified for cost-cutting as the output transformers, that could result in a smoking, sparking disaster.

paulbottlehead

Audio Company
If the power transformer is as badly specified for cost-cutting as the output transformers, that could result in a smoking, sparking disaster.
1640222184383.jpg

This is what was used in the Carverfest version. I'm a little hesitant to take anything apart on the one I bought since it's going back, but they do weigh the same.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You have no room to talk about class, Sir.

Best wishes.

It would be really classy to sell a product that doesn’t have the potential to blow up other electronics in the household, or even worse, setting someone’s home on fire.

How would you live with yourself if someone’s home was on fire because you decided not to ground these amplifiers? Did you even think about it?

This is way past questions like ‘does this amplifier sound good’.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Listen to it? Why do that? Audio Science Review is about sine waves and powering resistors, not music powering loudspeakers.
If its cheap and built to test good, its golden, no need to be musical. Audio reviews without listening. If you don't actually listen to an audio product in a review, your name might be more accurately called Resistor Science Review. Never had a 275 returned for lack of power making music. People that use it with music, powering speakers love them.
I planned to listen to it but with our house flooding and the only time to test this being midnight, I did not do so. But figured this excuse would come a mile away.

Anyway, the issue at hand from the start has been specifications with simple sine waves and resistors that claimed this product produces 75 watts into 4 ohm. Is there a plan from the company and you as a dealer to remove such specifications so customers are not mislead? After all, few if any customers are in a position to measure power to know they were not given what they were promised.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Not here to argue bottledick. See ya.
Oh. This is the type of representation you want to provide for this brand? Listen: poor measurements are one thing. Don't add to it by showing the people behind it may be just as bad. Be professional. Do your part best and don't add insult to injury here. I swear some people in the industry need take a PR class just to know how to conduct themselves in public....

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the problems people here have with the amp are not with the sound quality, but rather with other just-as-important considerations;

1). Poor QC
-loose screw inside unit (also a safety consideration)
-cold solder joints or loose wiring at transformer (also a safety consideration)

2). Cost cutting measures inappropriate for the relatively high price
-glued-in meter
-extremely thin speaking wiring

3). Safety issues
-no chassis ground/completely disconnected ground pin from the power cable
-no UL or FCC certifications

4). Amp is advertised as a 75wpc amp but uses 15 watt transformers and is not capable of meeting the 75wpc spec.

These non-audio considerations can and should be rectified by the company. It will make a better product and happier consumers.

Last edited:

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Well, that's certainly a reasoned and intelligent way to deal with the revealed product defects.
Isn’t “bottledick” kind of a compliment? Sort of like “beer can”?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If you bought that amp from me within the last 30 days I will be happy to refund your money.
So says the guy who says he has an ointment that grows hair. Or pills that cure any kind of cancer. Would you purchase either for the promise of 30 day return if they don't work?

Don't put yourself in that bucket. Money back guarantees have been used to sell all kinds of non-effective things. And do you realize there is a ton of hassle to buy and return things and hope to get your money back?

Anyway, I suggest working the issue within the company. Put the effort toward honest advertising. It is Bob's reputation we are dealing with. Don't be part of the problem that is tarnishing that.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's been replaced, apparently, by the Carver Raven 275.
Not sure how different the Raven is to the Crimson. I am guessing chassis color.

note the URL at the Bob Carver Corp. website.
https://www.bobcarvercorp.com/copy-of-crimson-raven-features-spec
The same weight of 19 lbs tells you everything you need to know.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not here to argue bottledick. See ya.
Way to sound like a little dick yourself. If you're here to defend a product that you sold, then be a bit more professional and face up to the criticism or shut up and leave. “Ooh, I'm going to get into a dick measuring contest on an online forum”. Clueless buffoon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom