• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

levimax

Major Contributor
Regarding what is "Hi-Fi" and "Sound Quality differences" and "preference" I have a couple of level matched clips to compare if any one is interested. These are 2, 30 second clips from Steely Dan's 1977 album "Aja", the song is "Black Cow". One is from a clean first pressing (AB version) of the LP and the other is from the Original Japan for US CD, these versions are considered to be among the best for this recording. These are level matched in Audition but an ABX program like Foobar2000 ABX will the make comparison easier.

My questions would be:

1. Would you consider either or both of these clips to be "Hi-Fi" ?
2. Can you reliably ABX the two clips?
3. Can you tell which one is the LP and which one is the CD?
4. If you can reliably tell a difference do you have a preference?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Haha Toole’s getting on a bit to take his comments on audibility as thrillingly eye-opening now, but I do enjoy them as historical memorabilia … :)

Not sure what world you live in where you believe that's appropriate, but it isn't here.

You get a break from the forum for a while.

Maybe this is a translation issue, but it came across very disrespectfully.

Would you like to clarify that so we have a better way to look at it?

Last edited:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, but allow me to suppose that your transducers masked the difference between digital and vinyl.

I currently use Theil 2.7 speakers and Joseph Audio Perspective 2 speakers. Feel free to look them up and make a technical case why they would not be sufficient to reveal differences between vinyl and digital quality. (Good luck). I should point out: if even these speakers weren't enough to reveal such differences, that would inadvertently make the case that the differences are so subtle you need The Very Highest Resolution gear possible to hear the differences! (Which we know very well isn't true, so all that is a red herring).

Or maybe I have poor hearing or discretionary skills? Well, I make my living in post production sound by paying very close attention to sonic characteristics, from large to extremely subtle.

Really, this kind of response smacks of the stuff I get when I question cable and tweak believers on subjective forums where, when pressed, they back in to things like "well you must not have a resolving enough system.." (or poor hearing).

I know the difference is audible from experience.

Of course the difference between CD/Digital and records is often audible. Nobody is contesting that. I've made that point over and over myself.

The issue is how much "better" or not, in terms of the subjective experience, does digital sound vs vinyl?

As I've said this gets in to some subjective territory, and it will also depend on variables like someone's particular vinyl playback equipment, how they've set it up, the quality of their records/condition, etc.

And I find your previous description about "muffled" sound with vinyl to not match what I hear in my system. If I found vinyl muffled I simply wouldn't listen to it. I care about sound quality too, which is why I'm an audiophile.

Yes it's well known that bass is typically summed to mono in many records, but the question becomes how often is that actually an obvious compromise? Well, I love dance, R&B, Funk, Electronic music and have tons of that on vinyl, as well as many of the same albums on digital. I have the occasional record that is clearly deficient in the bass response vs the digital version. But most are mostly on par - if there is a kick-ass bass synth or bass guitar/drums in the track, it's kicking ass on the vinyl sounding much like it does on the digital.

Another example would be a soundtrack I love, Taxi Driver by Bernard Herrmann, a re-issue of the score on vinyl which I compare to my long reference digital release. If I play the vinyl I'm greeted with a vast soundstage and precise imaging, of often dense instrumentation, every instrument crystal clear, ever jot of production reverb in it's place, the drums popping out almost like real drums. Just like the digital version. The only truly significant concession is a track where, on the digital release, there is a deep heavy bass drum panned hard right. On the vinyl release it's been panned closer towards the center of the soundstage, no doubt a concession to the issue of placing a lot of deep bass on one side of the track, which can be a problem in vinyl playback. But...big whoop. The drum sounds deep, clear, present just as it does on the digital, and everything else is comparable. You may prefer the digital on comparison, I may prefer the vinyl, but to me the prospect of someone telling me "the vinyl sounds muffled" or is significantly lower sound quality would be bizzarre.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Clearly, ASR has fallen to the distorters and this thread is proof.

Time to move on?

I can't tell if I'd agree since I don't know what or who you mean by "the distorters." Could you clarify?

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I currently use Theil 2.7 speakers and Joseph Audio Perspective 2 speakers.
I use AKG K702 (Weighted Harmonic Distortion 90dB SPL: 0.067%):

Feel free to look them up and make a technical case why they would not be sufficient to reveal differences between vinyl and digital quality.
Room acoustics and any given distortion, but it's impossible for me without measurements. Speakers plus room acoustics are even very complicated to measure. I can give a statement about my own equipment.

The issue is how much "better" or not, in terms of the subjective experience, does digital sound vs vinyl?
Significantly with the given headphones, my decent hearing ability and music listening experience.

Completing the test on first try without doing my utmost (with the given headphones), I could easily hear the noise added by vinyl. This seems to support that vinyl is not real hi-fi (like I have stated earlier). CD did not have the noise, so that would be hi-fi and I prefer it. Vinyl sounded muffled, that is not clear, compared with CD (like I have stated earlier too).

foo_abx 2.1 report
foobar2000 v2.0
2024-02-29 22:28:18

File A: Black Cow A.wav
SHA1: 46116edb48a9fd511fbbc14545877a3bd5771651
File B: Black Cow B.wav
SHA1: 8d5162a866f6a7cd7de720ff102b22b5f5800b61

Output:
ASIO : ASIO MADIface USB
Crossfading: NO

22:28:18 : Test started.
22:28:57 : 01/01
22:29:10 : 01/02
22:29:24 : 02/03
22:29:37 : 03/04
22:29:50 : 04/05
22:30:00 : 05/06
22:30:11 : 06/07
22:32:04 : 07/08
22:32:04 : Test finished.

----------
Total: 7/8
p-value: 0.0352 (3.52%)

-- signature --
322e934f4769841d2e753a281735e6fe96d7f2c8

Last edited:

egellings

Major Contributor
One more thing, I'm willing to bet, if I put you in front of a system handed you the album art of a LP and a TT playing the LP but tricked you by not even connecting it to the system, and then play a digital file instead but put a vinyl filter on it to simulate vinyl, you wouldn't even know and you will get the same exact "compelling listening experience."
Nope. The occasional tick or pop would be missing from the digital recording.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, so I guess the fundamentals of audibility, as established by even older (long-dead) doyens of psychoacoustics, have neither currency nor relevance today? So little relevance as to be laughable, “Haha”? Once you’re elderly, your life’s work is junk, and dismissed with a hand-wave, and despite the fact that Toole would be well versed in current audio science and not refer to obsolete findings in his recent comments that I quoted, his views are still laughable and borderline quaint “memorabilia”??

Toole’s tags on ASR as Audio Luminary, and Technical Expert, should have an asterisk for “too old to take seriously”?

Your disrespectfulness is despicable. Your denialistic mindset is transparent.

I think it's quite obvious Axos was not dissing Toole's body of work (obvious from plenty of what Axos has written on this forum, and in this thread). That's the most hysterical and least charitable take. But it looks like we won't get a clarification for now.

In any case, everything Toole writes is not Holy Writ on every subject. It doesn't settle issues "just because Toole had something to say about it."

So again to take your example:

Floyd Toole: "Anyone promoting LPs does not understand, or won't admit, that the signal that is extracted from an LP cannot be the same as the master recording. Cannot = can not!

As I pointed out before, that part of the quote is a red herring. It might be relevant as a jibe at those who promote the b.s. about records being technically superior "analog produces the whole waveform, unlike digital, don't you know!" But it's not relevant to all of us who enjoy records, who have readily admitted digital is the technically superior medium. So that can be dismissed if you want to actually address OUR arguments.

So, such people are content not to hear the art as it was created. This is provable fact, not my opinion.

Surely you'd recognize that there is a whole lot of contentious stuff packed in to such a statement? In the context of the arguments given for vinyl (by people who don't deny digital is technically superior), Toole's statement really is closer to "opinion" than "fact." Because his opinion mushes in various issues that are debatable, and under debate, not mere "fact."

Is it really true that people who listen to records are "content not to hear the art as it was created?" What does that even MEAN? First: does this mean that in the many decades before CDs, when records predominated, nobody cared to hear"art as it was created?" Again, what would that MEAN? People were of course perusing "hi-fi" long before CDs came on the scene. So of course many cared. And what does "the art as it was created" mean exactly? We usually can't recreate the speakers and mixing rooms of much of recorded music. So why is someone playing a digital file on their modern system so sure he is hearing the "art as it was created?" You mean the signal on the recording? Well, if it sounds different in your set up than it did in the mixing room "when it was created" why do YOU get to define what the sound of the art was "when created?" Circle of confusion, remember? This is people throwing bricks in glass houses stuff. Who gets to say "I am the one who CARES about The Art As It Was Created?"

Let's put a finer point on it. Take a digital duplicate of a modern master of a song. Duplicate it. Now A is an exact copy, but in B...add one single, subtle "tick" just before the track begins, or maybe in a quiet part, like a vinyl artifact. Now, imagine someone declares "If you listen to B, then you can't really care about The Art As It Was Created. If you REALLY want to hear the art of the recording, you MUST choose A."

Wha? I hope you could agree this is dogmatic to the extreme. What constitutes the "art" in the musical recording? Surely it is the music itself, the melody, rhythm, arrangement, and the selection of specific instruments, the specific performance characteristics, the vocals, all the production mixing choices for micing, reverbs, effects etc. That's an ENORMOUS amount of sonic information that comprises the "musical art." So what proportion of the actual musical information would you be hearing, relative to a teeny fleeting "tick?" Obviously, the sonic information describing the musical and recording artistry utterly overwhelms a little "tick" proportionately. So it would be just silly to cite that artifact as a barrier to hearing "The Art As It Was Created." That's missing the forest for the ticks, to say the least. And it just opens up the purity-testing dogma that few can pass. If daring to listen to vinyl means you don't care about the artistic creation, then doesn't ANY and ALL deviations from Pure Accuracy say the same thing? If someone buy's for instance one of Revel's excellent measuring speakers that are not full range, does this mean that person "doesn't really care about art as it was created?" Do only people with full range, perfectly neutral systems get that badge of honour? This gets ridiculous and petty pretty fast.

And so what really matters is the degree to which vinyl compromises or artifacts are a barrier to "hearing the art of the musical recording." And this can happen to a greater or lesser degree. Very often, I find, a minimal to insignificant degree. By far the vast amount of sonic information on most records I own, comparing to digital, is the Musically, Artistically Relevant information cited above, vastly swamping most of the vinyl artifacts. This is even obvious in the samples Levimax posted. I can hear a bit of difference between them but dogmatic statements that in one case "you don't care about the music that the artist created?" Get outta here!

My brother, an indie musician, comes to listen to the vinyl copy of his album at my place. Is he up in arms that we aren't hearing "the music as he created it?" Of course not. He has a different sounding room and speakers than mine. But all the details he sweated over come through gloriously on the LP through my system, and he's thrilled!

So, I'm sorry but if Floyd is simply citing digital's superiority in accuracy, sure. But there is too much philosophical OPINION shoved in to his statement: such people are content not to hear the art as it was created - to settle the type of disagreements we are actually discussing. That's not some objective "fact."

LPs are interesting as historical memorabilia, as are old cars, replicas of old cars, etc., which is absolutely fine - I would love to have an old Chevy to cruise around in on a sunny Sunday morning, but I have zero interest in LPs for enjoying music. "

Which is just Floyd's opinion on whether he likes to listen to records or not. To take it as anything more, as if settling the dispute here, would be a fallacious version of an Appeal To Authority. (There are valid appeals to authority, but this would not be one of them for the reasons cited).

Robin L

Master Contributor
Regarding what is "Hi-Fi" and "Sound Quality differences" and "preference" I have a couple of level matched clips to compare if any one is interested. These are 2, 30 second clips from Steely Dan's 1977 album "Aja", the song is "Black Cow". One is from a clean first pressing (AB version) of the LP and the other is from the Original Japan for US CD, these versions are considered to be among the best for this recording. These are level matched in Audition but an ABX program like Foobar2000 ABX will the make comparison easier.

My questions would be:

But if you're transmitting these two digital files, you're comparing one digital file vs. another. Not the same thing as comparing an analog source with a digital source.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LPs are interesting as historical memorabilia, as are old cars, replicas of old cars, etc., which is absolutely fine - I would love to have an old Chevy to cruise around in on a sunny Sunday morning, but I have zero interest in LPs for enjoying music
And isn’t that the quote that Axo was paraphrasing and turning back on Toole? I took as an attempt at ironic humor…

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But if you're transmitting these two digital files, you're comparing one digital file vs. another. Not the same thing as comparing an analog source with a digital source.
Digital is actually hi-fi, so digitization distortion can easily be inaudible.

I think it's quite obvious Axos was not dissing Toole's body of work (obvious from plenty of what Axos has written on this forum, and in this thread). That's the most hysterical and least charitable take. But it looks like we won't get a clarification for now.

In any case, everything Toole writes is not Holy Writ on every subject. It doesn't settle issues "just because Toole had something to say about it."

Floyd Toole: "Anyone promoting LPs does not understand, or won't admit, that the signal that is extracted from an LP cannot be the same as the master recording. Cannot = can not!

As I pointed out before, that part of the quote is a red herring. It might be relevant as a jibe at those who promote the b.s. about records being technically superior "analog produces the whole waveform, unlike digital, don't you know!" But it's not relevant to all of us who enjoy records, who have readily admitted digital is the technically superior medium. So that can be dismissed if you want to actually address OUR arguments.

So, such people are content not to hear the art as it was created. This is provable fact, not my opinion.

Surely you'd recognize that there is a whole lot of contentious stuff packed in to such a statement? In the context of the arguments given for vinyl (by people who don't deny digital is technically superior), Toole's statement really is closer to "opinion" than "fact." Because his opinion mushes in various issues that are debatable, and under debate, not mere "fact."

Is it really true that people who listen to records are "content not to hear the art as it was created?" What does that even MEAN? First: does this mean that in the many decades before CDs, when records predominated, nobody cared to hear"art as it was created?" Again, what would that MEAN? People were of course perusing "hi-fi" long before CDs came on the scene. So of course many cared. And what does "the art as it was created" mean exactly? We usually can't recreate the speakers and mixing rooms of much of recorded music. So why is someone playing a digital file on their modern system so sure he is hearing the "art as it was created?" You mean the signal on the recording? Well, if it sounds different in your set up than it did in the mixing room "when it was created" why do YOU get to define what the sound of the art was "when created?" Circle of confusion, remember? This is people throwing bricks in glass houses stuff. Who gets to say "I am the one who CARES about The Art As It Was Created?"

Let's put a finer point on it. Take a digital duplicate of a modern master of a song. Duplicate it. Now A is an exact copy, but in B...add one single, subtle "tick" just before the track begins, or maybe in a quiet part, like a vinyl artifact. Now, imagine someone declares "If you listen to B, then you can't really care about The Art As It Was Created. If you REALLY want to hear the art of the recording, you MUST choose A."

Wha? I hope you could agree this is dogmatic to the extreme. What constitutes the "art" in the musical recording? Surely it is the music itself, the melody, rhythm, arrangement, and the selection of specific instruments, the specific performance characteristics, the vocals, all the production mixing choices for micing, reverbs, effects etc. That's an ENORMOUS amount of sonic information that comprises the "musical art." So what proportion of the actual musical information would you be hearing, relative to a teeny fleeting "tick?" Obviously, the sonic information describing the musical and recording artistry utterly overwhelms a little "tick" proportionately. So it would be just silly to cite that artifact as a barrier to hearing "The Art As It Was Created." That's missing the forest for the ticks, to say the least. And it just opens up the purity-testing dogma that few can pass. If daring to listen to vinyl means you don't care about the artistic creation, then doesn't ANY and ALL deviations from Pure Accuracy say the same thing? If someone buy's for instance one of Revel's excellent measuring speakers that are not full range, does this mean that person "doesn't really care about art as it was created?" Do only people with full range, perfectly neutral systems get that badge of honour? This gets ridiculous and petty pretty fast.

And so what really matters is the degree to which vinyl compromises or artifacts are a barrier to "hearing the art of the musical recording." And this can happen to a greater or lesser degree. Very often, I find, a minimal to insignificant degree. By far the vast amount of sonic information on most records I own, comparing to digital, is the Musically, Artistically Relevant information cited above, vastly swamping most of the vinyl artifacts. This is even obvious in the samples Levimax posted. I can hear a bit of difference between them but dogmatic statements that in one case "you don't care about the music that the artist created?" Get outta here!

My brother, an indie musician, comes to listen to the vinyl copy of his album at my place. Is he up in arms that we aren't hearing "the music as he created it?" Of course not. He has a different sounding room and speakers than mine. But all the details he sweated over come through gloriously on the LP through my system, and he's thrilled!

So, I'm sorry but if Floyd is simply citing digital's superiority in accuracy, sure. But there is too much philosophical OPINION shoved in to his statement: such people are content not to hear the art as it was created - to settle the type of disagreements we are actually discussing. That's not some objective "fact."

LPs are interesting as historical memorabilia, as are old cars, replicas of old cars, etc., which is absolutely fine - I would love to have an old Chevy to cruise around in on a sunny Sunday morning, but I have zero interest in LPs for enjoying music. "

Which is just Floyd's opinion on whether he likes to listen to records or not. To take it as anything more, as if settling the dispute here, would be a fallacious version of an Appeal To Authority. (There are valid appeals to authority, but this would not be one of them for the reasons cited).
If you have to write an essay like that, that mean it's like an opinion piece. The Floyd Toole quote just means what it says. The art is obviously created during recording, mixing and mastering excluding duplication for marketing (artists can have a say in all three steps).

Newman

Major Contributor

I’m guessing you were busy composing this masterpiece of nitpicking denialism of Toole’s views before realising that Axo1989 has copped a thread ban for disrespecting Toole.

You are also disrespecting him, but without actually laughing out loud, instead trying to be more ‘clever’ about it. Or maybe that’s why you are doing it that way: you did know of Axo’s ban so you are trying to tread the fine line, and disrespect his views in another way.

What this really shows me, and I presume also shows other readers who are not so strongly ‘on your side’ about vinyl that they can’t accept anything that counts against vinyl, is that you don’t care about anything but pointscoring on this issue.

You have been monstering this thread for far too long. Actual novel length in words, or more. I once estimated that you wrote over 35,000 words in less than a week of denying and quibbling about sighted listening effects, and you have written far more than that here. A novel is 80,000 to 100,000 words. So I’m not exaggerating. Are you blind to this, or just don’t care, and monstering threads is your ‘thing’?

As part of this bottomless pit of argumentation, you often try to point to me as the villain, when all I have ever done is summarise the best science on the issue that I am aware of. You counter this with anecdote, anecdote, anecdote, whataboutism, whataboutism, whataboutism.

Now you are doing it with (dis)respect to Toole. You truly are, um, how shall I say this, unique.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally, as a maker, mixer, and master of music, I could give a fuck what you listen to music on. If you can connect to it, you are listening in the way I hoped you would.

The difference between listen to an LP vs streaming is way less than listening to it on distortion free perfectly flat speakers that only go to 180 hz. And it is way, way less than the difference in listening to it in my vehicle.

The art is the idea in the music, the way the rhythm sounds, the interplay of the melodies, the poetics of the vocals. It’s not in the clarity of the representation. To diminish people and claim they aren’t faithful to the artists because they are listening on slightly less hi-fi devices/sources? That is far more insulting than anything axo said.

Newman has come in and been personally insulting numerous times in this thread. Others have as well. But they get passes because they’ve been here for a long time. The mods have flatly stated it. Rules should apply to everyone. It’s never ok to be an asshole just because you’ve been an asshole for a long time.

Toole’s comment about disrespecting the art is offensive to me. It means only someone with the absolutely most hi-fi setup is a true appreciator of music.

As a music maker, fuck off! Get in your car, roll down the windows and put on your favorite road trip mix and bathe in the joy of badly reproduced music in a terrible listening environment.

drmevo

And isn’t that the quote that Axo was paraphrasing and turning back on Toole? I took as an attempt at ironic humor…
I found the outrage over that comment really surprising, to the point that I had wonder for a moment if there was some sort of language barrier or reading comprehension issue.

In essence, there's nothing revelatory in pointing out that digital is higher fidelity than vinyl...we know...we all know. Maybe there are one or two people who have snuck into the thread to say or suggest otherwise, but theirs would be far from the prevailing viewpoint of those who enjoy vinyl in this thread. The need by some to constantly strawman this issue by claiming there are legions of vinyl fans on ASR boasting that records are superior to digital, or even just equal fidelity, is mind-boggling. Saying records are enjoyable, or even that sometimes they produce enjoyable effects, is quite obviously not the same as saying they are equal or higher fidelity compared to digital.
Personally, as a maker, mixer, and master of music, I could give a fuck what you listen to music on. If you can connect to it, you are listening in the way I hoped you would.

The difference between listen to an LP vs streaming is way less than listening to it on distortion free perfectly flat speakers that only go to 180 hz. And it is way, way less than the difference in listening to it in my vehicle.

The art is the idea in the music, the way the rhythm sounds, the interplay of the melodies, the poetics of the vocals. It’s not in the clarity of the representation. To diminish people and claim they aren’t faithful to the artists because they are listening on slightly less hi-fi devices/sources? That is far more insulting than anything axo said.

Newman has come in and been personally insulting numerous times in this thread. Others have as well. But they get passes because they’ve been here for a long time. The mods have flatly stated it. Rules should apply to everyone. It’s never ok to be an asshole just because you’ve been an asshole for a long time.

Toole’s comment about disrespecting the art is offensive to me. It means only someone with the absolutely most hi-fi setup is a true appreciator of music.

As a music maker, fuck off! Get in your car, roll down the windows and put on your favorite road trip mix and bathe in the joy of badly reproduced music in a terrible listening environment.
Right on. If artists didn't want consumers to listen to their work on vinyl...they wouldn't release it that way! :) This whole gate-keeping, purity thing is kind of gross. It's cool to strive for the most accurate reproduction possible if that's what you want to do, and of course, that's a major focus of this site, but to judge and look down on others for not holding the same standards all the time (most of us who like vinyl also listen to a ton of digital, in my case much more), is BS.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have to write an essay like that, that mean it's like an opinion piece.

Yes, that's the point: there are objective facts about the technical capabilities of digital vs vinyl. And then there are opinions as to how much those differences matter.

The Floyd Toole quote just means what it says. The art is obviously created during recording, mixing and mastering excluding duplication for marketing (artists can have a say in all three steps).

That just begs the question in regard to my argument, unfortunately. I certainly can't force you to address the points I made in that post. So we'll leave it there I guess.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Digital is actually hi-fi, so digitization distortion can easily be inaudible.
I know that, know that 16/44.1 Redbook is capable of higher fidelity than what can be obtained from LPs. I'm pointing to the absurdity of these sorts of attempts at comparison. I have heard transfers of analog tapes to CD that were inferior to the best LPs, but that usually pointed to the use of an inferior source for the CD transfer, like the first CD issues on CD of the Simon and Garfunkel catalog, made from back-ups of back-ups.

Jaxjax

You mean like this? "I’ve made thousands of LP masters... I’m glad to see the LP go. As far as I’m concerned, good riddance....It was never any good." - Rudy van Gelder (jazz)

Or maybe like this? "Anyone promoting LPs does not understand, or won't admit, that the signal that is extracted from an LP cannot be the same as the master recording. Cannot = can not! So, such people are content not to hear the art as it was created. This is provable fact, not my opinion. LPs are interesting as historical memorabilia, as are old cars, replicas of old cars, etc., which is absolutely fine - I would love to have an old Chevy to cruise around in on a sunny Sunday morning, but I have zero interest in LPs for enjoying music. " - Floyd Toole, with deep experience in calibrating the significance of perceived sonic differences, and quick to remind us if a difference is not a big deal

Perhaps this is exaggerated? "I had been using LPs as musical sources for listening tests in my research. I came to understand the medium extremely well, even to the point of creating test records to test the capabilities of the medium. It is sadly lacking - it is simply not possible to hear what was on the master tape when playing back an LP. It can be extremely pleasant if the music is to your liking but, objectively, the detailed sounds reaching your ears are not the sounds that were on the master tape. At a point, through personal connections, I was able to acquire a PCM digital version of a master tape, and an analog duplicate at 15 ips. I also had the LP release of the music. I cannot recall what it was, but it was one of the "warhorse" symphonies, very popular and in a highly thought of rendering. The first thing that was clear in the simplest of listening comparisons was that the PCM version and the one-from-master tape versions were essentially identical. The LP version was very different." - Floyd Toole, credentials unchanged

But if any average members say something even fractionally as strong as the above statements, they get lampooned from pillar to post for "overstating the issue". It's on record. (pun)

You mean like this?
index.php
© Newman (lol)​

The fact that the quality range doesn't stop at 2-channel is highly significant, because vinyl does*.

cheers
*quadrophonic blip aside, but Toole has described its "psychoacoustic shortcomings" and how it didn't really improve stereo's diffuse-field deficiencies
I would get rid of all my vinyl if I could get it in a quality transfer off the masters....streaming has a bunch of garbage recording,cd's etc, etc, & especially vinyl. but...It's hard to find the versions of what I have in vinyl. I have all Etta James & most 1st run. Do you have or no were to get all of Etta's music from the master ? Not stomped on re-master stuff, I want the original. I have a ton of obscure stuff that I'll never find in digital land unless I transfer off the vinyl. Basicaly I'm asking were do we go If I want the above.?
Joe

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's unfortunate that you are choosing to substitute ad hominem for actually addressing my points.

This has the flavor of heresy-outing, vs actual engagement with arguments.

Not to mention your reply is full of insults, while complaining about people being disrespectful.

You are also disrespecting him,

I'm not disrespecting Toole. I'm disagreeing that the quote you cited actually addresses the arguments I (and some others) have been giving. And I carefully took the quote apart to explain why. To conflate disagreement as disrespect suggests a rigid mindset, and we should avoid that don't you agree?

How do you see good science and pedagogy, Newman? Let's say an expert makes a claim, and someone voices disagreement. Is the correct scientific/pedagogical response from the expert simply to show outrage and "Don't You Know Who I Am????!!!"

Or, is it a better idea for the expert to actually address points of possible critique, and point out any error in the disagreement? Surely the latter, right? Because the former is more like a fallacious appeal to authority, and mirrors dogma and heresy-mongering, rather than a scientific, thoughtful mindset.

I wouldn't say that Toole is making that mistake. I think his quote at least suggests an issue I disagree with, as I articulated. But I presume Toole would not go on to shame anyone for disagreeing "because I Floyd Toole Have Said So." He's normally a cautious, thoughtful writer and that would be unlike him.

But YOU seem to be presenting his quotes as if they are sacred text, and daring to even articulate disagreement is a shame-worthy instance of "disrespecting" his authority. Even implying it is teetering around ban-worthy behaviour.

That is more like dogma and religion, not science, Newman.

So I leave it to you, as to whether you want to carry on the conversation in a way that actually addresses my argument, or instead treat this like religious heresy-hunting in which a Pope can not be questioned and turn the issue in to talk of "disrespect" rather than reasoning. Your call.

Now you are doing it with (dis)respect to Toole. You truly are, um, how shall I say this, unique.

I'm sure you don't mean to imply anything insulting there.

Last edited:

Jaxjax

I’m guessing you were busy composing this masterpiece of nitpicking denialism of Toole’s views before realising that Axo1989 has copped a thread ban for disrespecting Toole.

You are also disrespecting him, but without actually laughing out loud, instead trying to be more ‘clever’ about it. Or maybe that’s why you are doing it that way: you did know of Axo’s ban so you are trying to tread the fine line, and disrespect his views in another way.

What this really shows me, and I presume also shows other readers who are not so strongly ‘on your side’ about vinyl that they can’t accept anything that counts against vinyl, is that you don’t care about anything but pointscoring on this issue.

You have been monstering this thread for far too long. Actual novel length in words, or more. I once estimated that you wrote over 35,000 words in less than a week of denying and quibbling about sighted listening effects, and you have written far more than that here. A novel is 80,000 to 100,000 words. So I’m not exaggerating. Are you blind to this, or just don’t care, and monstering threads is your ‘thing’?

As part of this bottomless pit of argumentation, you often try to point to me as the villain, when all I have ever done is summarise the best science on the issue that I am aware of. You counter this with anecdote, anecdote, anecdote, whataboutism, whataboutism, whataboutism.

"Tool" yes .!!!!!!!!!!!." Toole".? I'll have to find out who this fella is..never heard of him. Sure seems to have a few fans though.
Joe

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Tool" yes .!!!!!!!!!!!." Toole".? I'll have to find out who this fella is..never heard of him. Sure seems to have a few fans though.
Joe
Look him up, this man literally made HiFi audio, HiFi audio today.

Before him, loud speakers will designed willy nilly . . .well, some manufacturers still willy nilly it. :facepalm:

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Of course it's the same thing as comparing an analogue source with a digital source, because a properly done digital rip of an LP can capture all the musical information - and for that matter, all the mechanical and electrical effects of the LP and playback gear that make it into the analogue output.

What we're getting with @levimax's LP sample here is a comparison of a digital source with Levimax's analogue source - his particular LP, as it sounded played back with his particular turntable, tonearm, cartridge, stylus, and phono preamp. So it's not a "universal" analogue source, and therefore the comparison cannot be applicable to all LP-CD comparisons one might do. But Levimax never claimed it could, and that's fine - it's still an interesting and instructive comparison.

If there's something absurd about it, it's not the fact that the LP source is being supplied to us in the form of a digital recording of that source.

Last edited:
Top Bottom