• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

Robin L

Master Contributor

JP

Major Contributor
What about the fact I bought at least half off ebay?

Doesn’t matter if you bought the original second-hand or what you paid - the license follows the original disc. Should be obvious why that is.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

JP

Major Contributor
I've always loved that one!

Too late for my boy. He's 24 and somehow got hooked on Duran Duran early on - I think I played some CDs in the car on trips. He just saw them again in concert for something like the 3rd or 4th time.
1673244233118.jpeg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Doesn’t matter if you bought the original second-hand or what you paid - the license follows the original disc. Should be obvious why that is.
Yea, the IP laws suck.

JP

Major Contributor
Yea, the IP laws suck.

So you think people should be able to pass around a disc with everyone making a copy of it with no compensation to the rights holder? Would you think it fair were it your work that was being copied?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
So you think people should be able to pass around a disc with everyone making a copy of it with no compensation to the rights holder? Would you think it fair were it your work that was being copied?
They also get paid every time a song is played on radio, streamed, whatever.
I don't get paid every time you start a car or motorcycle I've sold or repaired either.
The majority of artists in my collection are now very rich.
I sure as hell ain't.

caught gesture

Forum Donor
They also get paid every time a song is played on radio, streamed, whatever.
I don't get paid every time you start a car or motorcycle I've sold or repaired either.
The majority of artists in my collection are now very rich.
I sure as hell ain't.
So you get to decide when an artist stops getting paid for their work? You decide when they’ve got enough, when their IP should now be given away/sold with no recompense to the creator?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
So you get to decide when an artist stops getting paid for their work? You decide when they’ve got enough, when their IP should now be given away/sold with no recompense to the creator?
Name me another profession that gets paid over and over again for work completed years or decades earlier?
99.99% of the people in this world gets paid once for the work completed in that pay period.
What make performers so damn special?

Overseas

Major Contributor
CD fan here, I would listen to whatever gives me the best sound. Not touching vinyl as prices are overestimated and the gear is a pain in the... All that talk about the right needles, pffaaa. It is ok that people have this hobby, whatever makes cd prices go down please...

MCH

Major Contributor
Name me another profession that gets paid over and over again for work completed years or decades earlier?
99.99% of the people in this world gets paid once for the work completed in that pay period.
What make performers so damn special?
It is not comparable,

Fixing a car is not something unique that you did for the first time and others might learn from what you did and replicate it for a profit or their own enjoyment.

In a very simplistic way, when you do a “creative” job, be it artistic or scientific or whatever, either you are using your employer assets (i.e. chemist working for a chemical company) then yes, most often you are paid once but your employer will profit from the IP you created for years to come, or you do it using your own resources (i.e. a chemist in his own lab, or an artist that writes or performs a song, or an author that writes a book) and then of course the creator is entitled to collect profits from others using his creation if he wants to and has the resources.

If you have found a new technique or a new tool to fix cars and others are using it, then sure, you could get something out of your creation, why not? Don’t you think?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It is not comparable,
A matter of opinion.
I've been to around a dozen large venue concerts this year and paid them well for the ticket.
I've went to a larger number of smaller performances in lounges, etc and happily paid the cover.
But if you make a record and sell me a CD or whatever and I also gladly pay you for that too, but then expect you still own that for forever anyway, your sadly mistaken. If you want to get paid again, create something new to sell, or get off your ass and do a live performance.
The IP laws are total BS and only fair to the performer, they've been on a gravy chain way too long while the public got screwed.
JMHO

Overseas

Major Contributor
Rights for cd, lp's are nothing compared to much more restrictive for mp3 files format.

Mal

Physical media has substance. It's tangible. It's real. You can hold it. I think some people are sick of streaming. There is something to say for the vinyl experience. Not quality, but ritual.
A tablet is tangible, and a lot less expensive than a vinyl collection. I'm not sick of streaming. If some people are sick of streaming, is there a sensible reason for this? The Incas had a ritual of sacrificing people. So what's so good about ritual? You need to ask if the ritual makes sense in a wider context. I do still play the CDs I obtained before streaming, although the vinyl has all gone, and isn't missed. If my CD player dies I'll probaby not bother replacing it, but just stream instead. I'll keep the CDs as decorations & sources of information. (Streaming companies should provide a lot more information! Starting with everything in the CD booklet...)

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
A matter of opinion.
I've been to around a dozen large venue concerts this year and paid them well for the ticket.
I've went to a larger number of smaller performances in lounges, etc and happily paid the cover.
But if you make a record and sell me a CD or whatever and I also gladly pay you for that too, but then expect you still own that for forever anyway, your sadly mistaken. If you want to get paid again, create something new to sell, or get off your ass and do a live performance.
The IP laws are total BS and only fair to the performer, they've been on a gravy chain way too long while the public got screwed.
JMHO
The problem is the artist, producer, record company, etc - do not get compensated at all when the recording is resold, given away, or copied once multiple people end up with the music. The IP laws are there to discourage more than one license per person. You may disagree with the nature of the IP laws, but that does not change whether or not a violation has occurred. Not judging you here, just stating the obvious.

From a practical perspective keeping the original disc after ripping keeps the spirit of the law while giving you an archive to restore from if your ripped to the hard drive ultimately fails.

mppix

There's some truth to that but things are improving.
Witness the explosion of high quality multich and Atmos recordings being done by the younger bands along with remasters to improve on some of the horrid things done for a couple decades prior.
Agree, but I was also really excited about SACD, DVD-A, and Blueray. I skipped on MQA (is that still around?) and decided to wait if Atmos really has a different faith than the other highres formats.
Why must music be full of noise and distortion to teach kids the value of music?
This more a point for a physical medium. You can do it with CD but the "record spinning" is more visible with records.
It also depends also on what value you are teaching. Does art need technical perfection, or should it be presented in it original form?

I don't think there is a one answer.. but to give an example: every Aretha Franklin album that I have is technically B-quality at best. She blows the mics out as if they where from the 20s. And yet, she is one of the greats.
Try listening to music mastered by Steven Wilson for one,
Thank you. Any album you would recommend?
DR is as good if not better than anything ever pressed on a hockey puck.
No cheap shots needed. Pretty please and thanks.
And it can be had in 2, 5, 7 ch or Atmos
If your a classical guy, try some 2L recordings.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
If I pass by one of my favorite artists living in a cardboard box, I'll slip them a Jackson.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Not me.

I seek as "black a background" as I can get for vinyl (or anything else). The more background noise I can hear the more it tends to "blanch" tonality.

Some albums I have are quiet enough I can't hear anything between the tracks from my listening position.

I always like hearing the tape hiss and then it ends to nothing… and the tape hiss starting on the next song.
Of course that is on pre-digital recordings that used tape as the source.

JP

Major Contributor
A matter of opinion.
JMHO

It can't be lost on you how inept that statement is? Not that the rest of your justifications are any better. They're not getting paid for that CD multiple times, they just ask that one person own it at a time. Actually, I'm not going to waste energy debating someone's self-justification of illicit behavior.

Top Bottom