• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille.
You just know it will turn out like the tube renaissance. Grainy pictures far worse than actual 1960 technology, highly prized for their old-time authenticity :facepalm:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
So now we have the next step in evolution of the "endlessly creative "argument" factory". Meet the outer clamp:
The Koolest feature of the outer clamp is when the user misjudges the arm placement before lowering the cueing lever and knocks the diamond off his 5 figure "Stereophile Class A Recommended" needle. ROTF
What about the point of view that "Vinyl critics attribute irrational motivations to vinyl buying in order to make themselves feel superior?"
Baloney,

As I've pointed out before: It's common for someone to attribute their own choices to reason and the other guy's choices to psychology.

"After all, since I have made reasonable choices and theirs differ from mine, there must be some other explanation to their choice than using reason."

When trying to psychoanalyze people who have made choices you don't agree with, you will usually get it wrong for the above reason.u
Depends on your definition of a "reasonable choice" Matt
If your choice was to own a toy you highly enjoy playing with, vinyl flys.
If your choice was the best source of High Fidelity Music, a digital source caries the day.

No. I like the sound of vinyl.
Why don't you "like" the sound of the artists/engineers intent?

I seek as "black a background" as I can get for vinyl (or anything else). The more background noise I can hear the more it tends to "blanch" tonality.
So why not dump it all for digital, vinyl will never get you there.

Last edited:

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
This was a double post.
Excuse my oooops!

Last edited:

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
What if you have already arrived and are on the way down. My ears aren't getting better they are getting worse. Why on earth if
it sounded excellent 30 years ago on "those speakers" in "that room" with that turntable and the same exact vinyl should I want to
look for something else. I'm 68 years old I did in fact add to the mediums I use, but that old vinyl is a reference for me.

It's like saying needle point will go away because machines can do a better job. It's the TLC that makes it so valuable to some and
that tradition of seeking audio excellence from a certain source. Tubes (Valves) the same idea.

Regards

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I rarely play them.
Too much trouble.
Same here, only it's CDs.
Like, what's up with that?
Uze 'awl should think of de-contenting before the demand/prices crash for such media.

The guilt of purging such collections may be excruciating but subsides within the first month.
ROI may even give you just reasons for some hardware upgrades! ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Why on earth if
it sounded excellent 30 years ago on "those speakers" in "that room" with that turntable and the same exact vinyl should I want to
look for something else. I'm 68 years old I did in fact add to the mediums I use, but that old vinyl is a reference for me.
I'm 72 and a life long music lover and audiophile.
My path has always been the best sound quality I can afford
High Fidelity music reproduction in the home has advanced miles since that 30 yo reference.

mppix

Why don't you "like" the sound of the artists/engineers intent?
I probably have a simplistic view but modern mastering often seems to target "translation" meaning sound best on Bluetooth and car stereos.

I did that. Now I'm getting back into records. There is something to say about the ritual of playing a LP, appreciating music as a form of art and teaching kids about it (as opposed to fast forward though the latest youtube playlist).

Of course, I keep my digital systems around. Technically, there is no-contest.
However, I'd argue that much music is intentionally mastered to not even need redbook quality.
I'd love to get my hands on highres music mastered to -24db (or even lower) loudness without limiters or compression. However, this will never happen in any meaningful way as it would sound absolutely awful on everything but a few audiofile systems.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I probably have a simplistic view but modern mastering often seems to target "translation" meaning sound best on Bluetooth and car stereos.
There's some truth to that but things are improving.
Witness the explosion of high quality multich and Atmos recordings being done by the younger bands along with remasters to improve on some of the horrid things done for a couple decades prior.

There is something to say about the ritual of playing a LP, appreciating music as a form of art and teaching kids about it (as opposed to fast forward though the latest youtube playlist).
Why must music be full of noise and distortion to teach kids the value of music?

I'd love to get my hands on highres music mastered to -24db (or even lower) loudness without limiters or compression.
Try listening to music mastered by Steven Wilson for one,
DR is as good if not better than anything ever pressed on a hockey puck.
And it can be had in 2, 5, 7 ch or Atmos
If your a classical guy, try some 2L recordings.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Uze 'awl should think of de-contenting before the demand/prices crash for such media.

The guilt of purging such collections may be excruciating but subsides within the first month.
ROI may even give you just reasons for some hardware upgrades! ;)
I'm waiting for the CD renaissance. In any case, my glut of CDs is as nothing compared to my previous hoarding of vinyl. I've got dedicated shelves for CDs and my small collection of DVDs and SACDs, I can live with it for the time being.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm waiting for the CD renaissance. In any case, my glut of CDs is as nothing compared to my previous hoarding of vinyl. I've got dedicated shelves for CDs and my small collection of DVDs and SACDs, I can live with it for the time being.

I was in our city's largest vinyl emporium this weekend trying to sell them my big Beatles box-set CD collection. They were quite keen on buying it but...damn it all..it turned out for some reason it was missing one album (Rubber Soul) so they rejected the whole box set. They would have given me 70 bucks for it.

It's a really huge store and was packed with people, a majority being teenagers and twenty-somethings, with a helping of older fogeys like me. I noticed (or I think I did) the CD section had actually expanded in to a whole room! (That reminds me: I just found a whole box of CDs I haven't gotten rid of yet. Can't wait to see those things gone.)

Also some young girl passing by looking beleaguered muttered despairingly and loudly to her friend "Is it too late to give up on this whole vinyl thing?" (I wonder whether it was perhaps prices or just not finding what she wanted).

It's really a blast visiting the store; it's always buzzing, "alternative" music usually blasting from some record player through the store speakers, and a generally fun, cool cultural vibe. Things you don't get just swiping through a playlist on your iphone....

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I've got about another 100 CD's piling up. I try to burn em then move em out but
like a bad penny they just keep piling up. I call them CD's but for the most part they're
multich somethings BD's DVD-A SACD's DTS-CD, etc.. I wish the labels would all at
least offer top quality downloads for those of us that don't have the room to collect this
stuff even if we wanted to.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

JP

Major Contributor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

JP

Major Contributor
Steal ? I paid for each one.
IANAL. You’re not entitled to a copy unless you maintain possession of the original. Doesn’t matter that you paid to acquire the original in the first place. No grey area when you’re selling the original after making a copy.

pderousse

When is the last time you read a book?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
IANAL. You’re not entitled to a copy unless you maintain possession of the original. Doesn’t matter that you paid to acquire the original in the first place. No grey area when you’re selling the original after making a copy.
What about the fact I bought at least half off ebay?

Top Bottom