• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can a speaker/system make a song sound like 1080p instead of 4K?

boxerfan88

He said he found one… :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’d say that the smoother the FR the more 4k it is :)
Okay, then you have those that will alter the FR to create the audio anamorphic lens. See/hear these image to sound analogies just don't work very well.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The biggest difference of 4K vs 1080p is HDR/color gamut. So CONTENT that doesn’t have a lot of dynamic range compression and SPEAKERS that hit high SPLs without compressions would give you a 4K vs 1080P experience.

A ton of movies are finished in 2K, and they still look great. That’s because they still have wide color gamut.

CapMan

Major Contributor
“This sounds like a luxury product” - what is he on :facepalm:

I guess none of my speaker cables will work if we move to 4K :(

Last edited:

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
The answer to the question in the title is "no".

It sometimes is helpful to use analogies, but they often become incorrect beyond the simplest use. The photography/display analogy seems attractive, but (as an example) frequency in audio is measured with time as the denominator, yet with photography, or displays, distance is the denominator. It should be immediately obvious how this can be problematic.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The answer to the question in the title is "no".

It sometimes is helpful to use analogies, but they often become incorrect beyond the simplest use.

Dynamic range has the same goal for both photography/displays as well as audio (recordings).

Show someone the difference between 1080p and 4k in the show room where you might be standing far away? Not a big deal. Show someone the super contrast of OLED blacks mini LED brightness, and people get excited. Screen size does matter (maybe SPL is a good comparison)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dynamic range has the same goal for both photography/displays as well as audio (recordings).

Show someone the difference between 1080p and 4k in the show room where you might be standing far away? Not a big deal. Show someone the super contrast of OLED blacks mini LED brightness, and people get excited. Screen size does matter (maybe SPL is a good comparison)
4K and 1080 are specifically resolution/frequency characteristics. They have nothing to do with dynamic range, except that in modern TV systems you typically ALSO get HDR with 4K gear.

It is like mixing up sampling rate with bit depth. Two different things.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor

That's true. The problem is that displays have always been extremely poor compared to reality in terms of dynamic range and colour gamut. Whereas, most of us never experience music at home which has the quietest bits at -90 and the loudest at 0.

audiofooled

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think he wants to imply that such a system has more "resolution" than recordings do. It also makes your cables, fuses and precious stones worthwhile. In the video of the performance I hear nothing out of the ordinary. It must be because video quality is only 1080p :)

Tell

For me the closest audio comparison with image resolution is frequency response. If a speaker is "4K" I guess it can play up to 20khz, and if it's "1080p" it reaches maybe 15khz. Not that it's really a feat to do so though, and this isn't what that guy is on about anyways, he's just spewing out some kind of audiophile marketing bullshit to sell a pair of overly expensive speakers that looks like ugly version of a retro wooden speedboat standing on it's stern.

OP
boxerfan88

boxerfan88

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My two cents: just about any video form Jay's Audio Lab (who surely has no clue what "lab" means) deserves to be shared in this thread only and nowhere else...

Top Bottom