• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio CXA81 Review (Sample 2)

Nikolaos

+7 0.0 vol.
This should give best quality.

I use adi with cxa 80. At those settings.

You could use. +13 -4.5. But not +13. At 0.0. That would be to hot for those amps.
+7 o'clock amp and RME....db ?
+13 o clock amp and RME -4.5db

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
+7 o'clock amp and RME....db ?
+13 o clock amp and RME -4.5db
No- he is talking about the RME setting exclusively- the amp volume dial is entirely up to you. Per 12.1 of the manual

Line Output: Ref Level Sets the reference level for the analog outputs. Choices are -5 dBu, +1 dBu, +7 dBu, +13 dBu at the RCA output, referenced to digital full scale level (0 dBFS). The levels at the XLR output are 6 dB higher, +1 dBu, +7 dBu, +13 dBu, +19 dBu.

Nikolaos

No- he is talking about the RME setting exclusively- the amp volume dial is entirely up to you. Per 12.1 of the manual

Line Output: Ref Level Sets the reference level for the analog outputs. Choices are -5 dBu, +1 dBu, +7 dBu, +13 dBu at the RCA output, referenced to digital full scale level (0 dBFS). The levels at the XLR output are 6 dB higher, +1 dBu, +7 dBu, +13 dBu, +19 dBu.
I use XLR supra cables. So I will set RME using last four db rates and control the volume from amp's knob. That means I have to disable auto ref level.

terrys999

I use XLR supra cables. So I will set RME using last four db rates and control the volume from amp's knob. That means I have to disable auto ref level.
Correct.

Just use +7. 0.0 volume on dac.
Use amp for volume.

Do as Jimbob54 says.

Nikolaos

Correct.

Just use +7. 0.0 volume on dac.
Use amp for volume.

Do as Jimbob54 says.
Question: by setting +13 db ref level and -4.5db volume on dac and control the volume by amp's knob then the amp's pre amp operates not the RME.

Nikolaos

+7 0.0 vol.
This should give best quality.

I use adi with cxa 80. At those settings.

You could use. +13 -4.5. But not +13. At 0.0. That would be to hot for those amps.
What filter and EQ settings do you use with RME...thanks

Nikolaos

According to manual 31.13 the best way is to control the volume via the digital control. Have you tried the option 31.12 on the manual "....level setting recommended" reference level at +7dbu, volume at 4.78 dbV. If this setting is implemented which should be the level of amp's knob volume to lock and then control the volume by the RME knob.

Nikolaos

Hi, which kind of hardware and software do you use to calculate the measurements in order to set up EQ on RME. Can I use trustworthy android app (using internal MIC) for this process.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
I was able to follow the majority of the conversation here but it did get quote muddled about this product. I have read a lot of other reviews and basically without the weird usb thing the unit measures well. I need a new system and this is currently on sale and am thinking about getting it. Did I miss something? I won't leave my usb plugged in.

oOBurrowsOo

Fortunately company CEO was kind enough to contact me about a week later expressing surprised at my results. I asked them if they have measurements that are better. After some investigation, they said that they could replicate my results at their China manufacturing facility but not their R&D lab. I expressed that I no longer had the unit so there was not any work I could do to get to the bottom of this.
I own a cxa81 and am also experiencing the bad noise floor. Can you supply me with the Cambridge Audio CEO contact information?

gegegege

After reading all the content in this post, I guess cxa61 may be fine because it doesn't have balanced input port?

JktHifi

CXA81 is awarded as best stereo amplifier since 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 from What Hi-Fi. What does this mean?

laudio

It means ASR initially gave Cambridge a very very bad review on measurements, but the measurements turned out to be a test setup issue that somehow works with everything else regarding USB grounding, yet not being what any normal user would ever encounter using the amp, and... after some well explained posts from Cambridge execs defending their product that had technical merit, ASR back pedaled and issued a mea culpa on the incident (in a edit) and kind of admits it was actually a test measurement issue but but not really because ASR still has to kind of defend what was originally written and save face. That's my best attempt to describe what happened, read the 12 pages on this thread and come to your own conclusion :)

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
ehhh i dont see no winners here

if you hit a product with a standard battery of tests and the manufacturer says "you aint testing it right" then I dont think your product is ready for the average consumer... "oh you purchasers aint using it right"

eg. do you see people from Genelec coming down and saying "Amir, you aint measured it right"

and even then the 'fixed' unit doesnt inspire confidence for $1,000

i dont even expect close to sota from them and this doesnt not disappoint

laudio

Agree sort of.

"Post this we had a conference call with the designers of the product. Issue was brought up that this is an instrumentation thing that the Audio Precision analyzer is creating a loop and ground noise that would not be there. While this is true...."

Blah. Then I quit reading.

Top Bottom