• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio CXA81 Review (Sample 2)

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
CXA81 is awarded as best stereo amplifier since 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 from What Hi-Fi. What does this mean?
It means absolutely nothing, whathifi is an advertising site, which uses fancy terms to sell products to those who believe it. Don't trust anyone who tells you "just believe me" trust anyone who tries to give you the tools and knowledge to figure out on your own where to put your money according to your needs

JktHifi

It means absolutely nothing, whathifi is an advertising site, which uses fancy terms to sell products to those who believe it. Don't trust anyone who tells you "just believe me" trust anyone who tries to give you the tools and knowledge to figure out on your own where to put your money according to your needs
I experience some of the advertisement is accurate. The Onkyo A-9010 stereo amp on 2017 was appropriate to me.

Geert

Major Contributor
It means ASR initially gave Cambridge a very very bad review on measurements, but the measurements turned out to be a test setup issue that somehow works with everything else regarding USB grounding, yet not being what any normal user would ever encounter using the amp, and... after some well explained posts from Cambridge execs defending their product that had technical merit, ASR back pedaled and issued a mea culpa on the incident (in a edit) and kind of admits it was actually a test measurement issue but but not really because ASR still has to kind of defend what was originally written and save face. That's my best attempt to describe what happened, read the 12 pages on this thread and come to your own conclusion :)
You want us to believe you read the 12 pages but somehow missed how this USB issue can manifest itself in practice (so not just in a test setup), and the explanation on what is wrong with the ground design of the internal DAC?

JktHifi

You want us to believe you read the 12 pages but somehow missed how this USB issue can manifest itself in practice (so not just in a test setup), and the explanation on what is wrong with the ground design of the internal DAC?
I’ve just read the13 pages (now). It makes my view to the Class D amp stronger. But the manufacturer has Class XA amp, anyone here has the experience of it?

Geert

Major Contributor
But the manufacturer has Class XA amp, anyone here has the experience of it?
Do you mean XA our XD, the latter one referring to 'class XD' as used by Cambridge Audio?

Geert

Major Contributor
It’s said: “Class XA Amplification – Key Technologies in the Edge Series”
I see they also refer to it as Class XA indeed. In that case the answer is yes, I have a Cambridge Audio Edge A. Class XA is kind of an improved version of class AB, meaning it has lower distortion without the inefficiency of class A. The Cambridge Audio Edge amplifiers are one of the best measuring non class D amplifiers ever. But class D amplifiers are more efficient.

Overseas

Major Contributor
What's to defend?! If you like it, no point to defend that. As for the measurements, debating technically is adivsed no matter if you own or like it.

pinyuszka

Several people liked the power cube diagram posted by Amir for new amp measurements.
Source: German "Audio" Hi-Fi magazine
Cambridge Audio CXA81 power cube.png

Last edited:

milw50717

Slightly OT, but I bought a CXA81 in the US and there is now a possibility that I will be relocating to the UK for a few years and then returning to the US. Has anyone had a look at the internals with an eye to seeing if it can be switched between 110V/60Hz and 240V/50Hz ?

I'm hoping there is there is just some simple rewiring on the transformer but that could be wishful thinking.

Last edited:

KenA

Are they just saying ‘just believe me’?
Perhaps they actually look and try the features, and then say ‘it has good features’.
Perhaps they pop the lid, take a look inside and say ‘it’s well built’.
Perhaps they listen to it for a while with all sorts of different music and say ‘it sounds good’.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Are they just saying ‘just believe me’?
Perhaps they actually look and try the features, and then say ‘it has good features’.
Perhaps they pop the lid, take a look inside and say ‘it’s well built’
Perhaps they listen to it for a while with all sorts of different music and say ‘it sound good’.
Yeah, they're just saying "believe me"

"sounds good" is the perfect example. It doesn't mean anything except that for some reason to those people in that place, with that system, at that time, with that music, in their mood it seemed good.
It just means you should buy it because they liked it. Great information.

RigidRoamer

I own CXA81 for about a year, but only recently tried to use it with headphones. Connected my Focal Celestee to the output on the front panel and was unpleasantly surprised with the quality. The sound doesn't differ much from a MacbookPro headphones output. I really did expect more. Anyone know the parameters of the output, or am I missing something. Wondering if something simple, but headphones specific, like DX5Lite will produce better results. Thank you!

hyvokar

I'm looking to replace my CA Topaz AM10 + Topping E50 DAC.
My only source would be a PC connected to CXA81 via USB and run KEF LS50s + a sub.
With this setup, would I be plagued with USB noise problem described here, or would I be better off with some other amp?

Thanks.

Kosimo

I'm looking to replace my CA Topaz AM10 + Topping E50 DAC.
My only source would be a PC connected to CXA81 via USB and run KEF LS50s + a sub.
With this setup, would I be plagued with USB noise problem described here, or would I be better off with some other amp?

Thanks.
I have Topping E50 connected with CXA81 via XLR and it is a perfect combo. USB is unconnected to avoid possible issues.
The E50 is connected to a PC acting as source via USB (actually a Raspberry Pi 4 using Moode Audio implementing room correction with CamillaDSP).
I am quite satisfied with the overall setup.
I also have a Topping PA5 first edition (that is still alive..) in a second setup for a smaller room. I compared PA5 and CXA81for long time, and I prefer CXA81 sound on almost
all aspects.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

er|κzvio1in

Not sure if it's appreciated here too bump an older thread like this. I own a CXA-80 that I use with the Coax input and have used it with the Toslink input too. I'm very satisfied with it like this, but here it comes.

I once tried the USB input, using the special PC drivers for the very high resolution, but it sounded like crap because of all the clearly audible USB noise transferred from the PC. Both the amp and the PC were plugged into the same extension socket to minimise ground loops but still the sound was awful.

Top Bottom