• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cable differences are real

mansr

Major Contributor
Cable differences are real and measurable. Here is the frequency response of a few random interconnects I had lying around.

1609807393600.png

The variations seen with the RG-59 (red) are due to the mismatch between its 75 Ω characteristic impedance and the 50 Ω inputs and outputs used for the measurement. The same thing happens with the Maplin cable (green) which also seems to have a few defects causing the irregularities in the curve. The AudioQuest (purple) is totally bonkers and the real reason I posted this.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cable differences are real and measurable. Here is the frequency response of a few random interconnects I had lying around.

View attachment 103777

The variations seen with the RG-59 (red) are due to the mismatch between its 75 Ω characteristic impedance and the 50 Ω inputs and outputs used for the measurement. The same thing happens with the Maplin cable (green) which also seems to have a few defects causing the irregularities in the curve. The AudioQuest (purple) is totally bonkers and the real reason I posted this.

AQ cable works to reject some RFI, then, but only if you have an FM radio transmitter at exactly 47MHz near-by. Who knows, may actually have a positive effect on some circuit somewhere in the world ;)

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
The AudioQuest (purple) is totally bonkers and the real reason I posted this.
That must be a severe impedance mismatch in there, makes me wonder whether there isn't actually a break at one end. That would show up as substantial loss across the board in a 50 ohm system though... must be some very peculiar cable stock (some sort of twisted pair or even twin lead perhaps?).

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

What on EARTH? Why do we care about the frequency response in the MHz-range? Here, let me fix your graph so it only shows the audibly-relevant range:
1609810240298.png

Rock Rabbit

You are measuring exactly lambda/4 with 0.64c velocity and 47-48 Mhz, you have 1 m of good cable and almost 0 volts at lambda/4 a complicated way to measure cable length. Nothing wrong with that cable

Last edited:
OP
mansr

mansr

Major Contributor
That must be a severe impedance mismatch in there, makes me wonder whether there isn't actually a break at one end. That would show up as substantial loss across the board in a 50 ohm system though... must be some very peculiar cable stock (some sort of twisted pair or even twin lead perhaps?).
I think it's a twisted pair with a shield connected at one end only.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
cables suk - use a waveguide

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Are we talking about RCAs for S/PDIF?

For audio, you will never need more than 90kHz and then, only for training puppies and rats. 20k is good for humans, and 16k is probably fine for most people old enough to buy fancy gear.

I use @Wayne A. Pflughaupt 's recommendations for best noise rejection in my cables, tying the shield in on both ends.

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are a lot of excellent reasons to never buy anything from an outfit like Audioquest. Cable response at 50 megahertz is not one of them. o_O

OP
mansr

mansr

Major Contributor
Same selection of cables into a 75 Ω input:
1609853896934.png

Robin L

Master Contributor
Flying-Saucers-Are-Real-cover.png

OP
mansr

mansr

Major Contributor
Someone mentioned S/PDIF. Here's what the S/PDIF output from an iFi Nano looks like using two different cables into 75 Ω.
1609858336957.png

The AudioQuest obviously isn't intended for this. Nonetheless, and despite the mangled waveform, the zero-crossings remain clean. It would probably work just fine.

Top Bottom