• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

'Burn-in'

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKlinky

Newbie here, Hi All.

Excepting electromechanical systems (loudspeaker drivers; perhaps phono cartridges) only the ear/brain combination is subject to 'burn in'. ie. we simply become accustomed to the real or imagined differences (I'm thinking particularly power cables here after reading posts here!) when upgrading hifi.
Discuss.

sojun80

It's really strange but so true. I've been playing a game through geforce now (a remote gaming platform), it produces sound that is extremely tinny, no bass and just all focused on the high range. After 30 minutes I am used to it and when I switch to listening to music or something else on a normal local system, it sounds 'bad' initially - I am missing the extreme high range that I am used to now. I know my local system sounds a LOT better - but my brain got used to something else.

Katji

Major Contributor
btdt

so, I am being catty -- but... DAC burn-in(?!)

Looking at a thread Someplace Else about someone's new DAC and this screenshot (from the DAC itself, I guess... EDIT: or maybe their website) kind of caught my eye. (SEE screenshot below from the product website) I mean, what happens if the owner gets busy and lets it burn in for eight days...

Burning in

I've never understood this, I get some things needing to warm up to sound their best, tube amps for instance, but wire? Why would interconnects or speaker wire need 100 hours to sound their best? Is this, as I wholly expect, nonsense? It reminds me of direction arrows on interconnects as if the...

Burn-in testing - real or imaginary?

Has there been any testing here to confirm if it takes 100s of hours of burn-in before an audio component "sounds" its best? I'm a bit skeptical, especially for solid-state devices, but prove me wrong with data.

Speaker Burn In

Is speaker burn-in real?

Is speaker burn-in actual a real thing? If so, what is the perceived difference?

Speaker Wire 'Burn in'

Hi All, Just getting into ASR and i love the move to 'objective measurements', i always found it funny that speakers/Amps all have objective measurements but things like speaker wires etc haven't, then pushed marketing and complete BS to sell more products. The topic i have always wondered, has...

DAC burn-in/break-in? My Gustard X16 measurements

...tests, I did measurement on x16 when it was like brand new (when it was powered-on for less than 10 hours total). So, at least for my X16, burn-in/break-in happens? Direct quote from my other thread: Again, my multi-meter is not accurate, but it is consistent within 0.001V, and can show...

Danny Richie Audio Myths on “Electrical Burn In”

I was going to post this video in “Speakers, Headphones, & Room Acoustics” but he goes into other audio myths midway through and towards the end of the video. A “flat earther” that calls others “flat earthers.”

Equipment burn-in: am I deluded?

...deep bass. After a few days, though, that seems resolved. Did I acclimate to the Topping, or did it change in sound? I’ve never believed in burn-in, aside from perhaps small changes in new transducers. It’s very possible I just adjusted my ears! Is there any rational basis for the changes I...

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Wasn't the premise of this beat to death awhile back in another thread?

OP
MrKlinky

MrKlinky

Wasn't the premise of this beat to death awhile back in another thread?
My apologies if I am covering old ground, but I find that very few posts touch on psychoacoustic aspects, which I am keen to explore.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
This poor horse was already beaten to death so many times over and the results are scientifically proven. No need for further discussion. Look at the Audio Refernce Library and search.

Of course come back if you have questions but I doubt as every aspect and angle has been looked into.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Welcome! Refer to and please feel free to add to any thread in post #3.

This is one of those that comes up often, so I'll close this thread to try to keep it all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom