• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

so, I am being catty -- but... DAC burn-in(?!)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Looking at a thread Someplace Else about someone's new DAC and this screenshot (from the DAC itself, I guess... EDIT: or maybe their website) kind of caught my eye.

(SEE screenshot below from the product website)

I mean, what happens if the owner gets busy and lets it burn in for eight days? :oops:

On the other hand, it is encouraging to see that the balanced output of this DAC isn't just superior -- it's more superior, dang it! ;)

EDIT^2: ahh, here 'tis, from their website.

1637164185676.png

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
In the morning I always turn on my electric shaver and let it burn-in for 30 minutes before shaving. The problem is that I can only shave half my face before the battery runs out, so I'm forced to shave each half of my face on alternate days. I'm firmly convinced though that the burn-in produces a much better shave on the half of my face that I'm able to shave. :cool:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When I was retailing audio gear I worked with a mish mash of peeps. Some had a degree, some had a high school education and others the school of hard knocks. It made no sense of who was prone to the urban rumors/audio myths. Burn-in was one of those myths. There was a couple of peeps that adamantly advised customers to, "Let it burn/break in." It did not matter what the thing was it needed burn-in/break-in. I never advised to burn-in/break-in stuFF and I think it was a unscrupulous mindset that made these peeps advise to burn-in/break-in the gear. The customers took the advise and so the myth was perpetuated. Now it has become a self sustaining myth in that so many peeps believe it to be true that others join the bandwagon too without any proof. When I asked why they thought burn-in/break-in works they had nothing to contribute and I was shunned for days after and so the forces where trying to make me one of them. :D

tomtoo

Major Contributor
When I was retailing audio gear I worked with a mish mash of peeps. Some had a degree, some had a high school education and others the school of hard knocks. It made no sense of who was prone to the urban rumors/audio myths. Burn-in was one of those myths. There was a couple of peeps that adamantly advised customers to, "Let it burn/break in." It did not matter what the thing was it needed burn-in/break-in. I never advised to burn-in/break-in stuFF and I think it was a unscrupulous mindset that made these peeps advise to burn-in/break-in the gear. The customers took the advise and so the myth was perpetuated. Now it has become a self sustaining myth in that so many peeps believe it to be true that others join the bandwagon too without any proof. When I asked why they thought burn-in/break-in works they had nothing to contribute and I was shunned for days after and so the forces where trying to make me one of them. :D

Why i should burn in?
Couse it sounds better!
And why it sounds better?
Couse you burned it in, idiot!

;)

dazzerfong

Know why burn-in is usually set to 200 hours or more? It equates to 8 days or so - that's more than the usual 7 days return window.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Way back then I always thought it had to be on for a week before Temps stabilize in the dacs. Clocks like stable Temps. Didn't matter if it was old or new. Longer it was on better it sounded.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Clocks like stable Temps.
I've worked with gear that have a thermally controlled little oven sort of thing for keeping the clocks accurate but I don't think a DAC has that issue. Am I wrong?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've worked with gear that have a thermally controlled little oven sort of thing for keeping the clocks accurate but I don't think a DAC has that issue. Am I wrong?
Actually my zen tour interface has an oven like that.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, you are right. A dac doesn't need a thermally stabiilsed clock. Any more than your wristwatch does.

Top Bottom