• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Equipment burn-in: am I deluded?

Dogen

Forum Donor
Hi all,
I recently received a Topping D3 DAC/amp. At first it seemed quite tilted up in the high frequencies and lacking in deep bass. After a few days, though, that seems resolved. Did I acclimate to the Topping, or did it change in sound?

I’ve never believed in burn-in, aside from perhaps small changes in new transducers. It’s very possible I just adjusted my ears! Is there any rational basis for the changes I perceived?

BTW, the Topping really functions well as a desktop solution and gives me everything I need in a nice, well built package.

Thanks for any insight,
Bob

OP
Dogen

Dogen

Forum Donor
I was using the analog out of an Airport Express, not ideal. But the changes seemed to happen while the D3 was in service.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Extremely unlikely the equipment audibly changed. Have never seen measurements of this kind of a device during "burn-in" that suggest anything potentially audible could change. There's plenty of evidence on the other hand that psychology deeply affects our perception of audio gear. So the latter is far more likely ;)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Did I acclimate to the Topping, or did it change in sound?

My Audio buddy (upon whom I depended for musical excitement) bought a Benchmark DAC1 long ago. He didn't tell me.

I was working out of (his) town, but came home for a visit.

I didn't know he'd changed anything.

My first and immediate impression was shrill. He'd been using it for months.

Before I left town again a few days later, it sounded good.

Much later I bought a DAC2. I haven't noticed any change I'd attribute to it in the six years I've been listening through it.

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
Much later I bought a DAC2. I haven't noticed any change I'd attribute to it in the six years I've been listening through it.

Of course you haven't. It doesn't have moving parts and it doesn't heat to high temps, so I really don't understand from where are the folks getting the idea it would change over time or that it needs some "burn in" time to get to optimal specs. Burn in of what?!?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
It doesn't have moving parts

It sure does!

That volume knob moves on its own whenever it gets power cycled or you put it in/out of no attenuation mode, or I can move it with the remote.

It's a motorized Alps, that controls digital attenuation for digital inputs, and does analog attenuation for the (seldom used) analog input.

Plus the little buttons on the front. they move when I push on them.

Krunok

Major Contributor
It sure does!

That volume knob moves on its own whenever it gets power cycled or you put it in/out of no attenuation mode, or I can move it with the remote.

It's a motorized Alps, that controls digital attenuation for digital inputs, and does analog attenuation for the (seldom used) analog input.

Plus the little buttons on the front. they move when I push on them.

Oh, you're right, forgot about those. Well, they certainly don't require any "burn in". Given enough time they will cease to function do to the mechanical wear but they certainly don't require any burn in to reach optimal specs. However, gentle handling will certainly prolong their life. :D

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The question is: Assuming burn-in has an impact on the sound, why must it be an positive impact? Could burning-in actually make the sound worse?

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor

I trust Genelec in speaker matters. They write:

«No burn in is required nor does it bring you any noticeable performance / sound quality gains. The only thing that changes slightly is the woofer's suspension compliance (the suspension loosens up a bit) which makes the bass sound a little bit more emphasized (than right out of the box), but we are talking about very small differences here. And in any case, this will happen naturally during the few first hours of listening. New GLM calibration is not required or needed».
Source: https://www.community.genelec.com/forum/-/message_boards/view_message/912894#_19_message_912899

So no worry about break in, in other words.

Note that serious speakers manufacturers choose design, materials and production that ensure that one (old) speaker can be replaced by another (new) one and you should still expect the same sound from all the speakers. This is important in audio production, of course, but is also a sort of guarantee that audiophiles as well should welcome.

:)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Speakers can take seconds to hours or more to "burn in" due to mechanical considerations. I measured that ages ago (and so did many others, of course). Bigger drivers tended to take longer since they had longer spyders and surrounds.

SS electronics generally reach normal operating conditions in seconds or less. Some old class-A amps took longer due to low loop gain (low feedback) and simple (to avoid using the word "poor") bias designs. Most of my life the SS electronics I designed had to work in milliseconds and stay stable over a wide range of environmental conditions (pesky pilots get sooo cranky when the incoming missile on their radar screen wanders around until it warms up). So in general I consider a SS design that requires significant (say >1 s) warm-up time a poor design (let the flames begin).

Tubes, being thermionic devices, take longer and again typically use very "loose" power supplies and limited feedback. My old tube preamp and power amps could take minutes to an hour or so to stabilize. The preamp was a killer as it would send out a pretty high voltage (50 V or more, rapidly decaying) low-frequency signal until it settled down after a minute or so. I built a special relay circuit for that one that had a 3-minute on delay and instantly turned off to protect the power amp and my speakers.

IME/IMO - Don

Top Bottom