• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget power/stepped amplifiers?

• Thread starter Deleted member 58865
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 58865

I already know one budget power amplifier.
  • Schiit Rekkr
Does anyone recommend any good budget power/stepped amplifier? I'm probably not going to buy a new amp anytime soon, but I'm just curious.

A stepped amplifier is an amplifier with a (stepped) volume knob that controls gain/attenuation level.
At 0dB, there is no gain. Above 0dB, gains are adjusted in steps. Below 0dB, there would be stepped attenuation.

Last edited by a moderator:

notsodeadlizard

So. you want an amplifier which is built by the serially connected:
- some input attenuator with the attenuation from 1 to M
- some preamp with the regulated voltage gain from 1 to N
- some controlled (on/off) bypass circuitry to bypass both attenuator and preamp
- some unity gain power buffer.
When attenuator+preamp is bypassed there will be no gain (gain = 1).
When the bypass circuitry is disabled there will be a lot of possible combinations till the unity gain buffer will still be not clipped.

It's possible and not prohibited.
But I'm sure you'll should to design and build this amp by yourself.
This is too unusual architecture for the commercial applications.
But this is a rather funny architecture, even if it is not entirely clear why it is needed.

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

Fixed gain increases noise floor. That's why stepped amplifier is beneficial especially for clean amp designs.

staticV3

Master Contributor
What is a stepped amplifier?
I have never heard of that category of amplifiers. Is that something new?
OP explained it in the OP.
They're searching for an integrated amp that uses a relay based volume control instead of a typical potentiometer.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Upon reading it again, I think what OP is looking for is something similar to what the JDS Element and ADI-2 are doing with volume where its a smart hybrid control combining attenuation and gain switching in a single knob, just that instead of digital attenuation+analog gain, OP is looking for relay attenuation+analog gain.

I'm not aware of an amp that uses such a control scheme, though I would certainly not look for one in the budget segment.

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

I would be satisfied with a stepped amplifier without a stepped attenuator. Or, a stepped amplifier that has a separate volume knob for stepped attenuator.

But, if there is no alternative, maybe it's time to get a schiit amp. Low gain. Low noise. Perfect for near-field listening.

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

Some amps from PS Audio allow users to control gain in steps with volume knob. That's what I mean by a stepped amplifier.

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

instead of digital attenuation+analog gain, OP is looking for relay attenuation+analog gain.
Your terms are not accurate. I don't know whether you mean fixed analog gain or analog gains in steps.

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

They're searching for an integrated amp that uses a relay based volume control instead of a typical potentiometer.
I'm not they. I'm one person. I'm not an interface to a collective mind.
borg.jpg

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they
Since I don't know your gender, I use "they" instead.
When you don't know the gender, assume a fat hairy man behind the monitor. Statistically speaking, I would not find many women on this forum.
Considering my nickname and my language patterns and my interests, the possibility that I'm a woman is close to zero. And, it's zero. I'm a guy.

Until you verify your gender with a picture, I am going to assume you are a hairy guy behind a monitor.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The guy means a power amplifier with 2 or 3 gain settings.
There are none (speaker amps) with 0dB (1x) gain as the lowest gain settings.
There are for headphones though.

It is not needed at all.
He just needs an amplifier with a decent volume control and possibly a balance control.
OP just had a bad experience with the volpot on his cheap Aiyima.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I suppose OP is still hung up on SINAD and noise... as well.

Top Bottom