• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Hypex NC252MP Amplifier Teardown

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, I hate those! :) Use them in this kind of heavy work and you will get nasty blisters by your thumb! I use these (and their clones): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OQ21CA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71REW-5NlgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

They are automatic and as long as the cutter is sharp, work well.
That’s exactly the same tool I use. Works like a charm.

kokishin

Forum Donor
Oh, my HT setup is very wife friendly. Speaker placement isn’t optimal, but surrounds are hidden away in the corners and the Atmos speakers are hidden behind the screen. No need for overhead speakers—the reflecting speakers work just as well if not better since the overhead sfx are a little more diffuse rather than coming from pinpoint areas on the ceiling.
What make/model Dolby Atmos enabled speakers are you using?

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Would a K-Lock Nut (nut with a serrated washer attached) work just as well instead of a stand-alone serrated washer for the ground connection?

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Should do.
Awesome. Already had a bunch of those leftover from past projects.

And thanks for the wire stripper recommendation. Got them and they work perfectly. Can strip the Mogami insulation without so much as disturbing the copper shielding underneath. Saves me a lot of time for cables now.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Awesome. Already had a bunch of those leftover from past projects.

And thanks for the wire stripper recommendation. Got them and they work perfectly. Can strip the Mogami insulation without so much as disturbing the copper shielding underneath. Saves me a lot of time for cables now.
No. The washer teeth need to bite into the chassis. The teeth of the Kep nuts bite into the wire lug, not to the chassis.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What make/model Dolby Atmos enabled speakers are you using?
These:

https://www.nhthifi.com/products/16...on-speaker?category_id=1968130-media-series-2

They are on a short pair of Monoprice stands which are on top of a BDI console, behind a Sony A1E OLED also sitting on the console. Completely hidden from view.

The other speakers I use in the HT system are Anthony Gallo Reference Strada 2’s. The NHT Atmos speakers seem to match well with the timbre of the Gallos.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
No. The washer teeth need to bite into the chassis. The teeth of the Kep nuts bite into the wire lug, not to the chassis.
That sounds logical but is not correct. :) The washer will act as a poor conductor. You want the lug to be in contact with the chassis, and not through the washer. This is the typical configuration:

practical-power-cabling-and-earthing-7-638.jpg

I made the mistake of putting the washer the way you suggest in a high current application and it was amazing how much voltage drop there was due to the washer's high impedance/resistance. And the heat it generated.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
To clarify, the wire lugs I am using have a small OD so the kep washer on the nuts I am using are wider than the lug so the teeth still grip the chassis

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To clarify, the wire lugs I am using have a small OD so the kep washer on the nuts I am using are wider than the lug so the teeth still grip the chassis
What the picture in Amir's post #69 showed is the technically correct method. But you will have to sand off the paint/powder coat/anodization layer to have good contact.

Labjr

Major Contributor
I am making a plan for this. Would 2 pole (so one SpeakOn per channel) be the ideal connector for most?

I still do some pro audio service work. I've noticed that 2 pole Speakons are almost never used. I think because 2 pole plugs are compatible with 4 pole jacks but not the other way around. Also, you can double up the contacts for more power handling etc. When used on speakers they allow biamping with one connector. Neutrik probably should have skipped the 2 pole type altogether.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I still do some pro audio service work. I've noticed that 2 pole Speakons are almost never used. I think because 2 pole plugs are compatible with 4 pole jacks but not the other way around. Also, you can double up the contacts for more power handling etc. When used on speakers they allow biamping with one connector. Neutrik probably should have skipped the 2 pole type altogether.

I'm just wondering how I should have the cutouts made: still one cutout for each channel (so 1:1 XLR:SpeakON) and just plan on covering unused ones like I do the XLR's?
I imagine some people will still use the SpeakONs for 2-pole operation (because they prefer their connection over binding posts).

bmc0

Pro amps with SpeakONs are often connected like this:

Connector 1:
  • 1+/-: Channel 1
  • 2+/-: Channel 2
Connector 2:
  • 1+/-: Channel 2
  • 2+/-: No connection
(repeat for each additional channel pair)

Labjr

Major Contributor
I'm just wondering how I should have the cutouts made: still one cutout for each channel (so 1:1 XLR:SpeakON) and just plan on covering unused ones like I do the XLR's?
I imagine some people will still use the SpeakONs for 2-pole operation (because they prefer their connection over binding posts).

Yeah, it's pretty common to see bass guitar amps that utilize only two poles of a four pole Speakon jack. A lot of amps have both Speakon and 1/4 jacks for speakers but I use Speakon whenever possible because it has a twist-lock which won't come loose or get pulled out by accident in the middle of a show.

I would probably stick to one cutout per channel unless someone orders a custom configuration. I would think it depends on the intended use of the multichannel amp. If two channels are going to one speaker then one connector may be desirable. They do make 8 pole Speakons but that gets complicated.

Last edited:

Jason Shep

I am making a plan for this. Would 2 pole (so one SpeakOn per channel) be the ideal connector for most?
I think this is the most straight forward solution for most users & how I’d want mine configured, I say, keep it simple, these aren’t PA amps!

mkt

From the AHB2 manual "The AHB2 has twist-lock NL4 SpeakON connectors that provide very high-quality speaker connections."
1609079248929.png
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0321/7609/files/AHB2_Manual_-_Rev_G.pdf
I use their NL2 to banana plug cables.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Be sure you're getting genuine Neutrik parts by going through an authorized distributor. There's generic types of questionable quality and possibly knock-offs out there.

Top Bottom