• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: Purifi Mono, 2ch, and 3ch Official Thread

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. Orders will go live once a confirmed eta is established on my end for manufacturing of the input boards.

Will Buckeye use the OPA1656 with these new input boards?
SpeakOn connectors?
Hypex SMPS1200A180 power supply?
Any idea what the energy use while idle might be?
Price?

Last edited:
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Will Buckeye use the OPA1656 with these new input boards?
SpeakOn connectors?
Hypex SMPS1200A180 power supply?
Any idea what the energy use while idle might be?
Price?
- OPA1612
- speakON only for rackmount case
- Hypex SMPS1200A100 standard, Micro Audio SMPS upgrqde available
- TBD for idle wattage
- likely $1150

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you considered mounting the OPA on a socket so it can be changed easily if desired?

See:

Audiophonics HPA-DM750ET : Proprietary interface "Buffer" board​

One Texas Instrument OPA1656IDR OPA per channel is used. These are very low distortion AOPs offering the greatest transparency with very low THD. They are mounted on a socket allowing them to be replaced if necessary.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Have you considered mounting the OPA on a socket so it can be changed easily if desired?

See:

One Texas Instrument OPA1656IDR OPA per channel is used. These are very low distortion AOPs offering the greatest transparency with very low THD. They are mounted on a socket allowing them to be replaced if necessary.

Replacing op-amps should void warranty normally.
It doesn't takes much for someone to put them the wrong way,or with bend feet,etc.
Let alone that the circuit is not designed and tested for different components.

Reactions: EdW
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

See:

Yes but then cost goes up and it introduces possible issues such as what Sokel pointed out.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see the Purifi 9040BA as a niche amp that 98% of users don't need but will buy because they want it anyway. So when it's twice as expensive an option as the Purifi 1ET400A and still doesn't include the Bruno preferred OPA1656 it's possible sales could be smaller? If I was going to buy into 9040BA, I would get one with the OPA1656 from Boxem or Audiophonics should Buckeye not support that configuration. Pretty much none of us need it. But if someone is going to drop 2K+ for 9040BA stereo config they will look for the exact configuration they want.

Last edited:

catastrofe

I see the Purifi 9040BA as a niche amp that 98% of users don't need but will buy because they want it anyway. So when it's twice as expensive an option as the Purifi 1ET400A and still doesn't include the Bruno preferred OPA1656 it's possible sales could be smaller? If I was going to buy into 9040BA, I would get one with the OPA1656 from Boxem or Audiophonics should Buckeye not support that configuration. Pretty much none of us need it. But if someone is going to drop 2K+ for 9040BA stereo config they will look for the exact configuration they want.
Why not build your own. Then you'll have the exact configuration you want.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Which is perfectly fine. I've always said if what we offer doesn't meet ones needs there are others out there who may offer what is wanted, albeit for more money usually. If spending more for an inaudible difference is preferred, that is a choice the consumer can make.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

See:

If you take a look at the TI op amp datasheets, they all recommend placing the associated passive components close to the op amps, in particular the low ESR ceramic bypass capacitors. When you change the op amps from soldered to the PCB to socket mount, you're already compromising the design, however minor the effects may be.
bypass_layout.png

jruser

Are the dimensions on the site for the case itself? Or do they include the binding post sticking out?

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why not build your own. Then you'll have the exact configuration you want.

Hard to justify building your own when there are companies offering these amps for less than the cost of the parts. If the manufacturers offered the modules for the price they give the assemblers it would be a no brainer.

jruser

- OPA1612
- speakON only for rackmount case
- Hypex SMPS1200A100 standard, Micro Audio SMPS upgrqde available
- TBD for idle wattage
- likely $1150
For budgeting purposes, what’s your guess for one with the Micro Audio upgrade?

Wavez

I'm going to look at a used pair of the monoblocks, is there any way to tell if they do or don't have the problematic binding posts from amir's original 3 channel review?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I'm going to look at a used pair of the monoblocks, is there any way to tell if they do or don't have the problematic binding posts from amir's original 3 channel review?
Not without opening it up or asking the owner.
And as far as usage, the steel binding posts do bot affect real world usage/audible difference.

Top Bottom